Best way to lunge in a bridle

pugsandponies

Visit site
My sister has asked me if I can lunge her on my pony - I have lunged ridden ponies before but not for quite a long time. I think I've previously just attached the lunge line to the bit on the furthest side from me, then run the lunge line under the chin and through the bit ring on the nearest side - is this the best way of doing it? Thanks in advance :)

blond1

On a shooting star...reaching for the moon
Visit site
I've run the lunge line through the inside bit ring, up over the head and clipped on to the outside bit ring as this will then apply a slight poll pressure too.

Other way is to clip to inside bit ring only.

What way do you attach the lunge line when you lunge your pony without him being ridden?

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I also clip it to the outside bit ring, then have the line come over the poll, and through the inside bit ring.
I don't think there's a right or wrong way, but I find my horses seem to relax and stretch slightly better this way.

nirikina

Visit site
I use a coupling so that if the horse pulls then the pressure is spread between both bit rings, similar to if the horse was ridden, and there is no risk of the bit being pulled through the horse's mouth.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
through the bit, I had small pony manage to remove the bridle using the over the head method... so decided against that in future!

posie_honey

Visit site
i use two reins and a roller....
or off cavesson if using a lunging aid that attached to bit so that there is no conflicting signals