Best Wellies for under £80?

SWE

Visit site
Looking for some Wellies to replace the pair I brought my sister for Xmas which unfortunately don't fit her (gutted as i found some le chameau's at a bargain price but the sizes come up SO small!)

£80 budget

Thanks in advance!

Mrs B

Visit site
Will follow this with interest ... used to always have Hunters before they sold out and got useless for anything other than a quick trip to Glasto ... I did buy some of the new incarnations from the original makers (Century?) before I think they went under too? ... didn't last as long as my original Hunters.

The bought some Hoggs a year ago and they developed a small leak after about a month and the top buckles have both perished and come off ... Have kept them as I don't know what to try next. Need some ankle support & have slim calves ... I simply walk out of cheaper wellies which would also have to stand up to much yomping putting horses out etc

monkeymad

Visit site
Good old Dunlops. Have had my current pair 4 years, still no leaks and fabulous grip. Probably wear them for about 5 hours a day (dog walk in them too) and they are very comfy. I bought the black ones with steel toe caps (so fairly hard core for wellies). I got a size 6, think they are a mans size 6 as are a bit big. But I put in soles in and wear thick socks and they are perfect and a fraction of the price of Hunters etc!

chaps89

Visit site
This may be no use as I recommend Le Chameau all the way - but if the right size isn't in your budget would she be happy/able to pay the difference perhaps?

Colivet

Visit site
I've just bought some Caldene Westfield Wellies and find them super comfy, light to wear and good grip - good value at around £70. However, I've no basis to recommend them long term yet.

View

Visit site
Another vote for the Grubbs Frostline. Warm, waterproof, comfortable, grippy sole, supportive of my twice broken ankle. Stand up to yard work and walking, and frequently just hose them off before I teach. Still going strong after 18 months.

scats

Visit site
Ariat mudbusters. Particularly if you like tall wellies, like me, and not those mid calf ones. They are warm and comfy.

Ariat customer service is spot on aswell. My initial pair developed a crack after 6 months. I bought them at YHL last year and couldn't remember the trade stand and didn't have a receipt. I sent ariat customer services an email with a picture, didn't expect anything as I obviously had no proof of purchase.

They asked me what size, colour and type I wanted and I had a new pair of wellies within 48 hours, absolutely no fuss. For this reason alone, they have my custom for the foreseeable!

pennyturner

Visit site
Bought a pair of Pipducks for £25 from ebay, and found them very much like an old fashioned pair of Hunters - real rubber, and as comfy as a pair of slippers!
Fitting is quite narrow, but not excessively (I have quite 'sturdy' legs, and they fit me fine).

taraj

Visit site
I currantly have barbour wellies, not sure of the model but the ladies ones with the tan leather strip around the top! I'm very impressed with them and have seen them in the sale for under £50 (online, millbry hill, think mine were £100)

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Was disappointed with Ariat Mudbusters and I am an Ariat fan. Three of us bought them at a show stand, within 6 months all of ours had leaks!! They did replace them no questions asked. I gave mine to my sister and bought the gumleaf ones instead. The other pairs are still ok - at the moment but it's coming up 6mo again...!

FFAQ

Visit site
Was disappointed with Ariat Mudbusters and I am an Ariat fan. Three of us bought them at a show stand, within 6 months all of ours had leaks!! They did replace them no questions asked. I gave mine to my sister and bought the gumleaf ones instead. The other pairs are still ok - at the moment but it's coming up 6mo again...!

These leaksmust cost Ariat a fortune. Mudbusters are by far the most comfortable wellies I've ever had, but my friend and I bought a pair each and both had leaked within 3 months. Ariat did replace them, but when we both had leaks another 3 months later I felt I couldn't ask for another pair. My friend did and they were replaced again. So, great for comfort and customer service but have some Dunlop handy while waiting for replacements!

Surbie

Visit site
Dunlops for me too. Mine have lasted 2 years of daily wear either at the stables or on the allotments. There is a trail of leaky wellies & muck boots in their wake.

I like wearing the Chelsea boot safety boot on the yard too - was in A&E getting my foot x-rayed the day I had to wear wellies cos the safety boots had sprung a leak. Horse spooked and thumped on my feet. Thankfully he is barefoot and I got away with bad bruising.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
After a long line of leaky wellies, including Aigle, Muckboots, Joules, Rydale, Dublin and many others. I got utterly fed up and bought a pair of £26 Sherwood wellies at my local tack shop, they are rather shorter than I prefer BUT they have already lasted longer than any of the brands named above. They are neoprene lined, close fitting around the calf and comfortable. The only others that came close were a £12 pair from Asda's sale last summer, when I decided to 'splash out' rather than keep on putting plastic bags in my boots to keep my feet dry.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I buy cheap wellies from the local Wynnstay and they put last my hunters by years. Would never buy expensive wellies again but do love and regularly wear my ariat riding boots to muck out just because they are so warm.

Embo

Visit site
muck boot chores-impressed with how grippy they are in the ice.

I had those and they lasted years but my terrier chewed them. I replaced them with Muck Boof Arctic which have a really good sole but are much lighter. I found my Chore’s quite heavy when wearing them a long time.

Agree with both - I have Chore boots, they are currently in their 6th winter and still going strong. They are very warm, waterproof, and grippy; but the problem with the mild winters in the South East is my feet get a bit too warm!

Also, they are heavy and a bit clunky. They have come up big for me (could go a size smaller if only wearing normal/thin socks!). I wouldn't want to wear them for a full day, but are fine for the couple of hours I'm at the yard.

When it's time for a new pair, I will be looking at a lighter pair of Muck Boots. I really rate them, been very impressed with the quality & how hard wearing they are.

Annagain

Visit site
I love my Aigle Parcours Iso (the neoprene lined ones). They're normally about £120 but I found a pair in a sale at this time of year (6 years ago and they're still going strong) for £80. They're the best wellies I've ever had. I had to have a dull colour (brown) to get them cheaply but I don't really care about the colour. It's worth a look as a few friends have found them cheaply online too. This seems to be the time of year they sell off the previous year's colours.