Best wood pellet?

Achinghips

Visit site
White horse energy .... Which is best .... Woodlets or platinum plus? What's the difference, anyone know?
Anyone ordered lwp recently. My last order was a couple of bags short and they ignored my emails ...

Lintel

Visit site
Six and half a dozen imo.
But if I had to choose... if they were both the same price I'd choose PP as they seem to stay whiter a little longer I think. I use PP just now ad order from White Horse Energy, never had a problem :D

Sandstone1

Visit site
In my opinion platinum plus are very good. You can ask them to give you a delivery day.
If you are a new customer I've a 5% off code if you'd like it. Pm me if you want it.

miss_c

Visit site
I always choose PP, but must admit I just got a full 1,000kg of Brites (which are also great!) from LWP cheaper than 975kg of PP from White Horse. LWP were great, but the delivery company were a pain, although they did call to arrange delivery as requested they didn't stick to the time slot agreed (I work shifts) and were quite rude on the phone when they failed for a second time, suggesting they leave my delivery on the road at the end of the drive and I 'get my arm work in' at 9pm that night... Our drive is LONG.

As an aside, be wary of posting discount codes on here, I've had infractions for that before now.

9tails

Visit site
I've not tried Woodlets, but use Platinum Plus. I've never found any other pellet to be anywhere near as good as PP so am loathe to buy a ton of Woodlets to find they're not as good for a possible saving of a tuppence a bag.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've used Woodlets & they were good, I've used Verdo & didn't like them at all. I'm now using Platinum Plus & have used these for the past few years & they are great. They fluff up easily & quickly, are very white in colour & very absorbent. Unfortunately just heard that they are going up in price by £20 a pallet this Autumn. :( Will still be buying them though. :)

eggs

Visit site
I like PP but haven't tried Woodlets. I also like Five Star from Eden Wood Products.

Having used Verdo I would never use them again.

eggs

Visit site
I like PP but haven't tried Woodlets. I also like Five Star from Eden Wood Products.

Having used Verdo I would never use them again.

Achinghips

Visit site
Just a quick bit of feedback to everyone. Today I had delivery of the pellets 22 out of 65 bags were broken, another four had been repaired en route by someone with parcel tape. The bags had shifted sideways in the lorry and had come off the palette and the driver had to manually unload one tonne onto another palette that I provided to him. We then had to sweep out his lorry into a couple of wheeelbarrows to get those tipped. Hey ho!

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Just a quick bit of feedback to everyone. Today I had delivery of the pellets 22 out of 65 bags were broken, another four had been repaired en route by someone with parcel tape. The bags had shifted sideways in the lorry and had come off the palette and the driver had to manually unload one tonne onto another palette that I provided to him. We then had to sweep out his lorry into a couple of wheeelbarrows to get those tipped. Hey ho!

Which brand did you go for?

Reminds me that I had 3 split bags and I haven't emailed PP to tell them.

AH What a complete pain to have that many broken. :(

Sandstone1

Visit site
I'd email them to complain. They are usually very good. I'm waiting for a delivery and will certainly be watching for the quality of the bags.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
White horse energy are by far the best IMO. I have tried them all: verdo, LWP, 5 star, woodlets and white horse PP. Before trying white horse PP, woodlets were my favourite. However I have just been laying new bedding in all of the stables after jet washing and white horse PP fluff up much quicker and bigger than woodlets. I lay them out and put a U shaped slit in all the bags then pour in a third of a bucket of hot tap water. The white horse PP fluff up so quickly I don't have time to get it on my phone video. I must get it on film as it is amazing how quickly they swell before your eyes when using hot water.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site

I've had this with a delivery & White Horse say refuse the delivery & they will arrange for it to be re sent. I appreciate that on many occasions most owners do 'just in time' ordering so that may not be a realistic action to take.

Achinghips

Visit site
I've had this with a delivery & White Horse say refuse the delivery & they will arrange for it to be re sent. I appreciate that on many occasions most owners do 'just in time' ordering so that may not be a realistic action to take.

Well I've sent a complaint. I didn't refuse delivery as they were contents that I had already paid for. Looking at the tracking number provided I see they were unloaded and loaded many times before they got to me. I will let you all know their response. The bags were much more inferior quality to those provided by LWP, btw.

Last edited:

Mels100

New User
Visit site
Has anyone used Pure wood pellets (biofuel) as cost is an issue as have 3 stables...just tried verdo to absorb in geldings dirty stabke but it looks like wet sand and squelches after 1 night...any help really appreciated

Sandstone1

Visit site
I've found white horse platinum plus to be the best. I've used verdo before and found them hopeless.
I've a 5% code for white horse. Pm me if you want it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I used woodlets last year and PP this year. So far I've only put beds down. I aim to leave them out til November so haven't actually used them yet as such but they are pale and very fluffy.
With all 3 deliveries we have had they have rang before hand

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Reminds me of my thread on here earlier! http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?725009-Wood-Pellet-Users-Beware!

Achinghips

Visit site
Just reminded me ..... They gave me a refund of £23 which was my estimate of how many wood pellets were wasted as a result of split bags. They stated they would not refund split bags, just contents lost, which is fair enough, I suppose. I sent them photographs of the inside of the lorry and all the pellets being swept into the wheelbarrows.

Must say the bags are rubbish and LWP are better quality bags, though they commission the rudest delivery drivers I have ever known

Last edited:

Achinghips

Visit site
You were lucky. Because I didn't open mine for a fortnight (and you couldn't see the splits through the poly wrapping until you opened it out) I had no come back at all.

I wasn't lucky, just knew my rights. If you complain ASAP you have greater comeback, you were on dodgy ground, and had stored them. Mine weren't even able to be lifted off the lorry intact.

Mels100

New User
Visit site
What are they like as a bed though? My gelding has been on everything over the 15 years I've owned him and straw is best as have to chuck it all out daily...but new yard won't allow straw....I've watched videos on best way to use...but all videos show 1 dropping being got out!! He does around 8-10 a night & covers them up as gets up and down...

Achinghips

Visit site
What are they like as a bed though? My gelding has been on everything over the 15 years I've owned him and straw is best as have to chuck it all out daily...but new yard won't allow straw....I've watched videos on best way to use...but all videos show 1 dropping being got out!! He does around 8-10 a night & covers them up as gets up and down...

They are fantastiic. I didn't find verdo as absorbent though. There's a trick to using them. Forget about taking wet out everyday otherwise they're not worth it. When they are wet in morning, just simply cover with a thick layer of the banks from the side. The wet underneath will magically disappear by the eve, even if you thought it was sopping. No smell . And if your horse is very very wet, just sprinkle a few pellets that aren't well watered. Always under water the pellets when starting the bed, than over water pellets, then you'll find the bed gets bigger every day as it expands, reducing the need for more to
Up. Bear in mind, this bed is really a litter tray, than a bed, at least initially, but who cares, horses sleep standing up mostly, they can lie down in the field during the day or on their initial "litter" tray, anyway, it's still comfy, more so, as the bed gets older and nicely compacted. Solids must be removed, no negotiation, mine are kept at home, so I can be out late and early, though. Even my 17.3hh Clydesdale mare is minimal work on them, but she does not box walk at all. Remember you are semi deep littering and removing sopping once a week at absolute most.

Last edited: