Beward - corner mangers alert.

pagancluf

Visit site
If you use a corner manger with the metal handle strips on them, take the strips off now! - my horse managed to get one loose - fell into his bed and then got wedged between the bulbs of his heel and penetrated into his frog!? found in his bedding the next day and an index finger hole into his frog also. Poultice for days - now better but he has developed filled legs/lymphangitis symptoms on back leg as was on stable rest due to all the mud in the field.

Any suggestions how to sort as really lame, and on antibiotics, have turned him out into menage with nets but running out of ideas and really desparate! Shall I lunge him every day in walk to try and releive? Many thansk for any tips ..
frown.gif

freya_5

Visit site
Oh god that sounds awful
frown.gif
I had a pony poulticed for 4 weeks in the summer due to an infection. I wouldn't lunge as if it is still painful he may compensate with his other leg and on a circle that's not good news! Could you maybe lead him out, take him for a walk around the school/ field or a hack you do?

Gingernags

Visit site
One of our mares got lymphangitis/cellulitis in a leg when she was weaning a foal and she was in 24/7. We used to walk her in had several times a day and alternate cold hosing with hot washing down - ie cold hose 10 mins, ten use hot, then cold again etc. We used salt in the hot water too. Seemed to do the trick and vet said it was OK. Poor horse was a very wonky donkey for a while...

pagancluf

Visit site
Thanks for your really good ideas - will try the walk around rather than lunge (otherwise next will be a strain on the other leg!?) and the hosing - good idea will try - is this to make blood flow more? hot then cold idea. Ta ladies.