BHA cancel racing on Thursday due to Equine Flu Outbreak

popsdosh

Visit site
Yep a bit alarming . I hope most of the trainers who had runners yesterday will have isolation for those that may have been in contact with the positive horses. They will have been at their most vulnerable after the exertion of the racing.
Wont be just racing affected.

Visit site
The problem with the flu vaccine is that it only covers what they THINK will be the strain that year. Of course bugs like this evolve very very quickly and soon we wont be able to do much about it - a bit like MRSA - it evolves too quickly for us humans to keep up with.

Horses from the known affected yard were at Ayr and Ludlow yesterday. Every single item of clothing I wore yesterday has gone straight in the wash and my boots have been scrubbed with disinfectant! Its not us btw! I just happened to be at Ayr yesterday and whilst stabled nowhere near the suspected yard the horses were still moving around the same stable yard.

popsdosh

Visit site
Must admit it may be the press getting the wrong end of the stick. However the first report I heard at 4.30 am was that three infected( tested positive) horses had run yesterday .
You never know perhaps we will end up back full circle with vaccination if the strains are evolving that fast ie the DIY approach of the snotty rag circulated around the yard or indeed whole communities of local racing yards. It has long been a contention of many within racing that Vaccination is not really the answer as many horses have a degree of protection but still harbour and multiply the virus whereas unvacinated horses clearly display symptoms. I know many wont agree but it was a practice that evolved through necessity a bit like the trend today for parties for kids with various ailments to get them over and done with.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Surely general equestrian competition and hunting should be cancelled as well? I can imagine racing being one of the more hygiene conscious industries as if one horse gets sick it could affect their whole yard so if racing is taking the precautions why aren't general competitions having to follow suit? I don't compete but can see those sorts of events potentially making it spread more than racing

Visit site
Surely general equestrian competition and hunting should be cancelled as well? I can imagine racing being one of the more hygiene conscious industries as if one horse gets sick it could affect their whole yard so if racing is taking the precautions why aren't general competitions having to follow suit? I don't compete but can see those sorts of events potentially making it spread more than racing

In theory but local events attract local people so the disease is contained within that region. Racehorses travel hundreds of miles to race. They go up and down the country, stand in a stable yard with 100 other horses from other yards every single day of the week. So racing could spread something far more quickly than any other equine competition. Hence why there is now a total lockdown and no racing until next Wednesday at the very earliest anywhere in Britain. Ireland are still racing but have banned all British horses from travelling over to compete. Many studs have locked down as well for the time being so no mares are going in or out.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I hope that the Cheshire Hunt steer clear of the Cholmondeley estate for the rest of this season, at least. They meet there or nearby many times in a usual season.

The affected racing yard with the three confirmed cases, Donald McCains's yard, is on the estate.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
I hope that the Cheshire Hunt steer clear of the Cholmondeley estate for the rest of this season, at least. They meet there or nearby many times in a usual season.

The affected racing yard with the three confirmed cases, Donald McCains's yard, is on the estate.

I’ve just heard there have been several cases confirmed in the cholmondley area , so hope the hunt leave it this weekend . As we are 5mins down the road our vet has advised we don’t go anywhere , not even hacking at the minute . Waiting for an update from them , but as it stands we won’t be going anywhere for a bit .

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I noticed his jockey Brian Hughes had 2 more rides after that and although he would have changed his silks I would imagine he still wore the same breeches and boots which is a big concern.

Visit site
I noticed his jockey Brian Hughes had 2 more rides after that and although he would have changed his silks I would imagine he still wore the same breeches and boots which is a big concern.

And saddles and girths. I stood in the winners enclosure very, very briefly next to McCains horse - i left swiftly as my horse had pulled 2 shoes and was very sore on his feet so we left to pad him back up to make him comfortable. But I still walked round that paddock, the horses still walked round at the start tofether etc.