BHS Exams - advice please

vicm2509

Visit site
Following my post last week ive decided to go down the BHS exam route and try to get to instructor level.

My problem is I work full time and have a horse so I dont have heaps of spare time. I am planning to start training in the winter as there will be less shows.

I just wondered how long training usually takes? It says on BHS website training isnt neccesary but I thought it would be a good idea as if I went to a BHS approved yard they would know what was involved.

I will be able to train most weekends and maybe a few hours in the week. Do riding schools usually help you for free if you help out? (I mean I could work for them for free in return for their guidence).

I am quite confident that Stages 1 & 2 will be straight forward as ive owned and loaned horses for years and im pretty up to date with most things.

I work for my dad and he said he would be willing to give me a few weeks off work (2 at the most) if there is a fast track/intense training available. I thought maybe I could do the stages 1 & 2 in this time?

I am not doing this because I want to become an instructor right now but for pleasure and the fact I will have the qualifications under my belt for later in life. And I feel it will benefit me and my horse.

So, how long does it usually take to complete the first 3 stages, and how long to get to instructor level 2?

I will be visiting a BHS riding school to find out more but just wanted to be a little more clued up before I go
smile.gif

Oh and how do I go about taking the exams? Does and examiner come to you? Can I do the riding part on my own horse? Can I send of for a pack which details exactly what is expected in each level?

lizzie_liz

Visit site
To do your BHS exams you have to goa centre which is approved for exams.
The BHS website shows you all the dates and locations of the exams. You don't use your own horse but one that is from the exam centre.
Syllabuses for the exams are all available on the website.
I did my stage 1 exam at Bishop Burton College and had very little training for it and then did my Stage 2 at Yorkshire Riding centre, which i taught myself but got a bit of help for lunging just to make it was correct

Stage 1 is very basic with little knowledge needed and for the riding stage you just have to walk, trot and canter and go over poles.

Stage 2 is a bit more complex and you jump some small fences

How fast you work up the stages depends on how much you know now and how competant a rider you are and how much money you have as they are not cheap

Bossdog

Visit site
I know that the Yorkshire Riding Centre do intensive courses with an exam at the end which I have looked into but haven't had a chance to do yet. My local college also runs evening courses in the BHS exams (lincoln College) at local riding schools.

With regards to what is involved you can follow this link which will take you to the BHS system page and if you click on each section, there will be a short description, in these descriptions there are underlined links to syllabuses which has all the aims and objectives.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/content/Ods-More.asp?id=1799&pg=Education&spg=Information&area=2

Here is Stage I and Stage II for you, the rest you will have to do yourself!!

BHS Stage I Syllabus

BHS Stage II Syllabus

Hope that helps

Jules x

airedale

Visit site
Wellington Riding also do intensive exams and the advantage is that you get to know the exam horses before the day of the exam

Experience isn't everything as you need to do things 'their' (BHS) way and not necessarily the way you've done it for the last 10 years !!!!!

I did exactly what you are proposing many years ago and it's perfectly possible to do right up to AI level providing you get some of the training either as evening classes from an exam center for the SM and riding or from someone privately (which is what I did as she'd trained with Marie Stokes and had the BHS 'gospel' off pat)

Beyond AI I'd reckon that you need to A: decide if you want to go down the SM only route or do the full riding thing as well (I hate jumping so I just did the SM route). B: if you are intent on doing the riding route you do then need to get experience of jumping lots of different horsese over serious courses - which you probably won't get when just riding your own horse.

Personally if you are that experienced I wouldn't bother wasting time/money on Stage 1. Go for Stage 2 after suitable perusal of the syllabus. That will give you the flavour of what to expect for Stage 3.

They have (I think) deleted the Minor Ailments written exam from Stage 3 now - what a shame - that was designed to put terror into your heart first thing on exam day. Made the riding part seem absolutely easy in comparison !!!!!

Bertie1

Visit site
You can't take your Stage 2 unless you have STage 1, unless you have your B test, and then I think you can skip straight to Stage 3.

There are some riding centres that do tailor-made courses, so you can turn up as and when you have time. They're especially good for people like you who have some experience - you don't really want to be joining a Stage 1 group as you'll find them very wobbly compared to you riding-wise and you'll be bored to tears in the stable management/practical stuff.

The quickest way to whizz through the easy stages is to book some private riding lessons and some private lectures at the BHS centre you choose, that way you can discuss with your instructor what you want to brush up on, and they can fast track you though.

You might want to book a few group lessons though as I'm guessing you won't have had one of these since Pony Club, and they take a bit of getting used to! And you also have to ride without stirrups from Stage 1 onwards, so lunge lessons are a good idea.

The other that would be useful is to have some private lessons with you lungeing a horse - there is the BHS way, and there's our own individual way!

You also need to get used to riding school horses - they are so very different from your own, and these are the type of horses you will have to ride in your exams.

I'm doing mine at Talland - I just ring up and go down when I've got a free day from work and the horses and we work on whatever I feel I need to. I reckon YRC would do a similar thing. First off, I booked in for a morning at Talland, they assesssed me, and told me what they thought I should do to get my BHSII in the easiest way that would suit me.

I event and have my own horses, and I work too, so I'm in similar situation to you.

Even though you're experienced, I think you'll still find it really rewarding. It's actually really good to go over the basics again - it's so easy to get into your own bad habits! My horses have been performing better since I've been doing it.

PM me if you want more info/moral support!

emma69

Visit site
To add what the others have said, you have to go to a centre to do the exams, they are on set days of the year and there aren't that many - they also fill up very quickly especially at the training centres as they have a lot of their own candidates. You have to do the exams in order, and you can book to take them in a short space of time, but if you fail you will forefit the exam fee for the other one. You must also do your riding and road safety before you can take your stage 2. Go to the BHS website and you can order the exam syllabus

Pop along to a BHS training centre and have an assessment of riding and SM and they will recommend timeframes to you. A lot of riding schools don't have time to train helpers at the weekends, as it is their busiest time, we had some people train at weekends but they had to pay, they couldn't work in exchange. Would definately recommend lessons for the Stage 2 - the lunging is soooooooo different to how us mere mortals do it !!!!

Oh and you also need to do you 3, PTT and 500 hours teaching to get your AI - additional exams to get further

teapot

Visit site
I'm going to answer this by answering each question that you asked as it's easier LOL (I'm currently in the process of sorting my stage 2 training out)

Training can vary time wise - I know of someone who had been entered for the exam before he'd even started his training (but he's got rather a lot of talent so he passed with his eyes shut). I started my formal training for my stage 1, around september time, was entered for the exam beginning of Novemeber (couldn't get an exam date in nov so had to wait until the January). So it varies, and really really depends on experience (I'd spent all the summer working in the RS). Best way of finding out would be to have an assessment with someone who knows the exam situation well and so can judge whether you'll up to standard/anything that needs tweaking etc.

The fast track bit - very much doubt it as you have to wait up to 6 weeks to get exam place confirmation - have to choose your 4 prefered centres (ie: the closest) and they then give you a slot that's available. The exams get filled up pretty quickly especially if they're based at a college.

Getting to instructor level 2 aka the BHSII takes a long time. My instructor of 6yrs, is taking part of the exam again (I think possibly for the second or third time and she's been in the industry years/rides incredibly well etc). Stage 1, 2, 3 and the PTT will obviously take less time, once you've passed all 3 plus first aid, CRB clearance/Child protection course and done the hours, you'll be awarded the AI - level 1.

Brst advice would be a.) pop along to your nearest Where to train centre, NOT where to ride. The WTT centres will be great and have good experience of exam candidates. Not all BHS RS's offer BHS training. Then book an assessment lesson (if they don't suggest it anyway) and see what standard you're at.

Pm me if you need anymore advice. The RS I worked at but still ride/get my training is on the WTT list and I was usually the one telling prospective clients about the BHS training

Hope this helps

dwi

Visit site
Don't do it at Wellow.

I have been riding for the last twenty years and have had three different BHS instructors tell me that I am at Stage Three level yet I failed my Stage One. I know that it sounds like sour grapes but I only know of one person from my day who passed the riding. The horses were terrible and the examiners unreasonably picky. I knew that i'd failed on the day but even people that I thought were loads better than me failed.

Ask around and try and ride at the exam centre several times before you book there. If I'd known what the choice of horses was like I'd not have booked there and even if I had liked the horses I could have got much more from them if I'd ridden them several times before.

Good luck, go for it but be careful about your choices because you don't want to waste your money and face the dent to your confidence that I and a number of my friends are currently feeling.