BHS Exams & NVQ's

vicm2509

Visit site
I will start from the beginning....

My mum and dad put some money away in an education fund when I was younger but I didnt go to university and now the money can only be used for education purposes.

So I was thinking I may get some sort of qualification in horses as a back up plan for later in life. I work full time at the moment and have a horse so I havent got heaps of spare time as I also like to go to shows now and again aswell.

I have been looking on the BHS website and it seems you can either do BHS exams or NVQ's. Has anyone done either of these? I would like to get up to instructor level eventually but as I cannot go back to full time education I presume this is going to take a long time.

So can anyone advise on the best route to take?

Tempi

Visit site
id do you BHS Stages and take your PTT (oh and R&RS is compulsory inbetween stages 1&2). Ive done all those and throughly enjoyed it!! i went to a training centre and did the whole lot on a ten week intensive course was great fun. You can live in and its a great experience i got to jump a grade a showjumper which was just amazing!

harvgj19

Visit site
I did NVQ level 1&2 which they now equate to BHS Stage 1&2. If I had the choice again, I think I would just do the BHS exams. I wasn't overly impressed with the NVQ lot.

Would like to eventually take my Stage 3 and PTT, but am in the wrong country now!
crazy.gif

bexj

Visit site
I did all the course work for NVQ level 1, but due to the examiner messing me about, I haven't actually completed the exams. NVQ is very orientated to those who already work in the industry and is designed for continuous assessments.

I have just joined the BHS so I can take their exams instead.

Unfortunately the two are not cross-compatible, even though the BHS is involved with both, so, for example, you can't do NVQ1 and then BHS 2.

harvgj19

Visit site
bexj- that is interesting, as I received a letter stating that the BHS now recognised the NVQ level 2 as equivalent to the Stage 2, and that if you sent in your certificates with your application to take the stage 3 exam, they would exempt you from Stage 1 & 2.

I agree with you on the state of the examining! That is why I wish I had never bothered with them!