bhs insurance...

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I've just joined the BHS as a gold member, and have a new pony arriving on monday.
I've been going through insurance, and don't know what to insure for. Obviously death/ theft/ vet, but what about legal issues such as personal insurance and liability? is that covered by the BHS insurance? or is the BHS insurance just for me and not include any horse/ ponies? I'm so mind boggled....

riotgirl

Visit site
If you are a Gold member then you are insured as a rider, and also for public liability/third party. If you want theft and vets fees then I think you need to take out extra insurance. I only know this because I've just taken out gold membership!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I am already insuruing for vet/ and death theft but wondered is it just me as a person covered for liability or the horse too? Ie if the horse broke out and hurt someone or did damage would the BHS insurance cover it??

riotgirl

Visit site
I read it to mean that if my horse got out and caused havoc (which is quite likely with my girl!) then they would cover it. Can't remember the exact amount they cover for, but it does go into the millions.

riotgirl

Visit site
Thats what I was thinking! Except I've just opened my Visa bill and my old insurance company have charged me for another years insurance even though I said I didn't want to renew it. Am really mad but can't get to speak to anyone til Monday
mad.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
Check it out with them if you are not sure - they are really helpful. I asked a couple of years ago (so it might not be exactly the same) and basicly even if you don't own a horse that causes havoc but you were responsible for it at the time you are covered (unless this was in the course of you earning a living). Hope that helps!