BHS "On the Move" lorry

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Remarkably little on their website about this, but there's a piece in the June edition of British Horse, and a few people may have seen the actual lorry at Badminton.

"The mobile meeting space is a new and innovative way for the Society to share its work and in coming months the lorry will visit everything from shows and events, to BHS Approved Centres, schools and colleges."

They've received £50k in funding which will go towards another, smaller lorry - but presumably the big shiny expensive looking one has been paid for by the membership?

I'm not sure what I think ... Is this a good use of a charity's resources?

Lovethebeach

Visit site
Mixed feeling too, went on it at Devon County, lovely to sit in comfort and could have a cup of tea/coffee if wanted, but only accessible up narrow steep steps. I'm sure they could have done the same with a good trailer type conversion which would have been a lot less money and could of been more 'ground level' with an opening side. Hate to think how much was spent on this with pop out sides etc and full living from the cab but noticed a lot of the trim inside was loose. Also seemed a bit weird having the little horse windows lol !! From the outside we did wonder if it was just a rest area for staff so bigger signage needed perhaps.

Gift Horse

Visit site
I haven’t seen the lorry but it doesn’t sound like a good use of funds to me.
I haven’t been a member for very long - I joined to take advantage of the public liability insurance that comes with membership and to support the BHS in their work opening and maintaining riding routes. I wonder if they ever ask the opinion of members on how money collected through membership is spent?

Reactions: PAK

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Given that it is a huge shiny expensive looking lorry, and that the smaller one is costing £50k, I would say that quite a lot of membership money has been spent on it. And they have recruited a full time driver for it too. Presumably they'll need another driver for the 7.5 tonner. Surely it would be a lot more cost effective to send personnel round the country in a car with a few interactive training materials, hire a few venues (the price of which would be covered by ticket sales) and do the job that way?

whiteflower

Visit site
Given that it is a huge shiny expensive looking lorry, and that the smaller one is costing £50k, I would say that quite a lot of membership money has been spent on it. And they have recruited a full time driver for it too. Presumably they'll need another driver for the 7.5 tonner. Surely it would be a lot more cost effective to send personnel round the country in a car with a few interactive training materials, hire a few venues (the price of which would be covered by ticket sales) and do the job that way?

Seems an awful lot of money to spend to achieve what exactly ? They used to Increase awareness by having stands at the big shows, the only difference I see here is it gives people somewhere to sit and have a coffee. Surely a couple of sun umbrellas and plastic tables and chairs would have done ! It's a gimmick and a poorly thought out one at that in my opinion. It's a shame ive supported the BHS and their work for many many years but if this is how money will be spent it will make me rethink next year

DirectorFury

Visit site
Absolute madness and completely unnecessary. Surely there should have been some sort of consultation with members before spending that amount.
Have they disclosed who built the lorries? I might put a FOI request in for their accounts for the past few years.

DirectorFury

Visit site
I wonder if they did any research re: builders too? You know, approach different companies, get quotes off a few and discuss the relative merits of each quote, build, and company. Things you would expect of a charity before they spend a significant sum of money on something like this.
I'm seriously considering putting in a FOI request for all meeting minutes and work put into this decision. Something seems off.

Kaylum

Visit site
Big charity big business - its the same all over and very disappointing. Radio 4 ran a series about big charities and money they spend compared to small charities where every penny counts. I cringe when someone asks for money for Cancer UK, they have no idea how much of that money is going into marketing and big salaries.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
It seems to be a head office only thinking about appearances and keeping up with the next high spend charity. Gone are the days when a handful of hard working staff, backed up by volunteers kept things ticking over. Now each must be "the best" "the most visible" and even more important "the biggest". As these goals happen less and less of each £ gets spent on the aims of the society.

PAK

Visit site
Absolute madness and completely unnecessary. Surely there should have been some sort of consultation with members before spending that amount.
Have they disclosed who built the lorries? I might put a FOI request in for their accounts for the past few years.
1.38 million!

PAK

Visit site
I wonder if they did any research re: builders too? You know, approach different companies, get quotes off a few and discuss the relative merits of each quote, build, and company. Things you would expect of a charity before they spend a significant sum of money on something like this.
I'm seriously considering putting in a FOI request for all meeting minutes and work put into this decision. Something seems off.
Not too late to do so

PAK

Visit site
Big charity big business - its the same all over and very disappointing. Radio 4 ran a series about big charities and money they spend compared to small charities where every penny counts. I cringe when someone asks for money for Cancer UK, they have no idea how much of that money is going into marketing and big salaries.
Sorry, it is not the same all over. There are excellent charities where members money is only spent on the charity's objectives.

TTK

Visit site
I’ve just cancelled my membership, that damn bus was the last straw, a misuse of members funds imo. I was a member primarily for the insurance so I have switched to World Horse Welfare who are cheaper and, as a charity, more effective in carrying out their goals, IMO of course.

honetpot

Visit site
Could anyone one say where they have seen it?
What it was being used for?
And,
How many people especially if it was for an educational event how many people where there?
I think its supposed to be a mobile classroom/educational facility.

PAK

Visit site
And,
How many people especially if it was for an educational event how many people where there?

I have not seen it nor heard of it being used other than at shows.

Lexi_

Visit site
And,

I saw it at Blenheim, but it was away at the far end of the course over the bridge so couldn’t have got that much passing footfall.

PAK

Visit site
I saw it at Blenheim, but it was away at the far end of the course over the bridge so couldn’t have got that much passing footfall.
Interesting. Such proposals for significant expenses should be tested with the membership and if agreed, then special fundraising created. That's what many other charities would do.

ruth83

Visit site
£185,000 written off over 5 years, £37,000 per year. Not £185k multiplied by 5 - which is still not £1.38mil.
This is the capital cost, not the running costs, but still not the figure which keeps being bandied round.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Interesting. Such proposals for significant expenses should be tested with the membership and if agreed, then special fundraising created. That's what many other charities would do.
How do propose you get all this sort of thing agreed with the members without running up bills .

£185,000 written off over 5 years, £37,000 per year. Not £185k multiplied by 5 - which is still not £1.38mil.
This is the capital cost, not the running costs, but still not the figure which keeps being bandied round.

That’s more like it my head was hurting .

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don’t know whether the lorry is value for money (I hope a business case was done) but I don’t think you can expect a large national organisation/ charity to be run from a shed. You also cannot expect employees/ volunteers to accept poor working conditions and employees poor pay to prop up a charity. Charities on this level need to keep pace with modern life.

Id like to see the BHS do more to represent horses and horse-riders at national level and to influence government on issues affecting them.

PAK

Visit site
I don’t know whether the lorry is value for money (I hope a business case was done) but I don’t think you can expect a large national organisation/ charity to be run from a shed. You also cannot expect employees/ volunteers to accept poor working conditions and employees poor pay to prop up a charity. Charities on this level need to keep pace with modern life.

Id like to see the BHS do more to represent horses and horse-riders at national level and to influence government on issues affecting them.

Sorry, I am not advocating that people have poor working conditions. Influencing national legislation is fine and BHS seems well represented in national equestrian bodies. what isn't working well in my opinion is democratic processes and governance.