BHS REACT to colic campaign - stroppy owners required?

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
As a BHS member I have received e-mail notification of the new REACT to colic campaign from the BHS and as someone who has lost a much-loved horse to that disease I would encourage everyone to check it out.

However, one paragraph in the e-mail that did give me a proper laugh. It begins

'As contentious horse lovers, we all know the importance of being prepared when caring for horses...'

I guess that goes for the good natured, peacemakers as well, though?

Yes, I know I'm being picky, but it did give me a laugh.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Apparently not, Greylegs. As one of -ahem- life's natural proof readers, I'd just finished reviewing a job offer where the terms and conditions document indicates that the document is due for review in September 2015. I then moved on to that e-mail.

Is it just me that gets exercised about that kind of thing?

LeneHorse

Visit site
That's a good one. Think I might fall into the category of contentious horse owner!

Ps for those who like these sort of things, today at work a colleague said - 'do you know we have more centurions in Lanarkshire than elsewhere in Scotland' - think she meant centenarians!

Cowpony

Visit site
I too suffer from this malady. Not a typo, but the sign that always makes me laugh is "This door is alarmed". Why? What has it got to be scared of?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
'This door swings both ways' has me howling :D

'this door must be kept closed at all times' - so why did you put a door in then?

'this page is intentionally blank' in instruction manuals. No it's not! It's got 'this page is intentionally blank' written on it.

HeresHoping

Visit site
whispers "exorcised"

No. She is right.

Exorcised is to have got rid of.

Exercised - get annoyed, concerned, vexed...bothered.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/concerned

I am a member of the Apostrophe Appreciation Society, Homonyms R Us, Out Damned Malaprop, Loose Your Belt, Against Spoonerism and quite a few more.

I am particularly exercised that, in her new novel Mount, Jilly Cooper has Rupert Campbell-Black admiring the confirmation of his stallion.

Am also a proud user of parenthetical parentheses. So I've edited the additional comma.

Last edited:

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I think Auslander thought that the devil made me do it ;-).

The signs that people have seen have made me chortle too. It reminded me of a sign I saw walking along the banks of the River Thames in Reading decades ago. It was a proper, official, metal, sign on a pole in the ground. It said 'Reading Council will not be held liable for the actions of persons ignoring this notice.'

Edited to add: HeresHoping - do you have a fan club? If so, can I join?

Last edited:

Spilletta

Visit site
Ps for those who like these sort of things, today at work a colleague said - 'do you know we have more centurions in Lanarkshire than elsewhere in Scotland' - think she meant centenarians!

Love this one! I have now got images of Roman army officers marching around Lanarkshire :) (Maybe she did mean it, though - do you have many re-enactment groups in your area...?! :D)

Annagain

Visit site
The temptation to get involved in this thread is too much but my therapist has said I should avoid these discussions. They do nothing but harm to both my blood pressure and the twitching.

I'll just leave these here before I go to lie down in a darkened room. This is my most pressing bugbear this week. Next week I'll find a new one, no doubt.

"Thank you to all WHO came to my party"

Anybody WHO uses THAT when referring to people should be shot.

Last edited:

Cowpony

Visit site
I once heard a headmaster speaking at a leavers' event say "We support all these children as they go forward into adultery." :D

Cowpony

Visit site
The temptation to get involved in this thread is too much but my therapist has said I should avoid these discussions. They do nothing but harm to both my blood pressure and the twitching.

I'll just leave these here before I go to lie down in a darkened room. This is my most pressing bugbear this week. Next week I'll find a new one, no doubt.

"Thank you to all WHO came to my party"

Anybody WHO uses THAT when referring to people should be shot.

I think I need to come and join you in your darkened room. My particular pet hate is people saying "Thanking you". You don't have to tell me that you are thanking me! I will know that when you say "Thank you"!

Aaaaannnndddd breathe......

little_critter

Visit site
The one that has stuck with me
On a menu:

"Scampi, chips and pea's"

pea's what?

Although another time in the same pub it was advertised as

"Scamip, chips and peas"

(I do eat things other than scampi, honest)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The one thing that I cannot bear is the pronunciation of the letter H. It is 'aitch' it is NOT 'haitch'.

Just because it is the letter H, does not mean it has to start with one!!

Beausmate

Visit site
Apparently, if you have a problem with something, or just need a bit of help in our local Sainsbury's, then you need to ask a colleague. But I don't work there and neither does my colleague!

Beausmate

Visit site
2014-06-15-1635_zpsicmaiahh.jpg

tristar

Visit site
ashetlandbitmeonce, don`t go to ireland, everyone says haitch, go to france the french never ever say haitch, ever! even when speaking english its orse and ound.

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Can you all come and work for me please? I look after copy editing and proofreading for a large organisation and this is what my team does all day. You'd all love it... or all lose the plot and require darkened rooms!

little_critter

Visit site
Can you all come and work for me please? I look after copy editing and proofreading for a large organisation and this is what my team does all day. You'd all love it... or all lose the plot and require darkened rooms!

Just post the stuff you are checking on here and we'll all chip in!

DD265

Visit site
A manager in my old company emailed a customer when a complaint had been escalated...

"I apologise for any incontinence caused."

That was 5+ years ago and it still amuses me greatly.

Also, is anybody else now slightly paranoid whilst writing their responses to this thread?!

Auslander

Visit site
No. She is right.

Exorcised is to have got rid of.

Exercised - get annoyed, concerned, vexed...bothered.

I'm usually happy(ish) to be corrected, but in this case, I have always used exorcised, referring to the purging of unpleasant emotions. I learned it from my Mum, who has a PhD in English Literature, so I count her as a reliable source.

However, there is logic in the use of both, so I apologise to the OP.