BHS riding instructor of the year

eahotson

Visit site
I note that once again the instructor of the year is freelance.I am sure she deserved her win but wouldn't it be nice to see a riding school instructor win occasionally and what does this say about our riding schools.

burtie

Visit site
The trouble is, if an instructor is any good the chances are they can earn much more money freelance than in a riding school. I'm sure there are exceptions but on average a good and experienced AI can earn around £15 per hour freelance, don't know what they riding school rate is but I suspect a lot less. Ok so no travelling and gauranteed income but still unlikely to match the freelance rate.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'd actually be fairly interested to know as going back to teaching full time is something I am thinking about for next year.

teapot

Visit site
One of my RS instructors got to the final
grin.gif

Nailed

Visit site
I have to say.. the one that won was bloody good, as were the other competitors. I agree wth the money issue, that would be the biggest thing to go freelance.
lou x

teapot

Visit site
If anyone was there, would love to hear their thoughts - pm me and I'll give you the person's name I'm referring too

Oh and cost of lessons, instructor who was in final; at last check, a lesson with her at yard was about £50 for an hour's private. Used to be freelance couple of years ago

Mid

www.just-dreaming.webs.com
At the riding stables where I go, we have several intructors, but one is the kindest, funniest person ever! She's great with beginners too, which the others aren't.

The reason she teaches at the stables is because it includes her horse's keep (livery, feed, ect) and she couldn't afford that freelance.

JessPickle

Visit site
I wish a riding school instructor would win as well.

I would love to nominate my instructor she passes recently and is only 18 years old, but is such a brilliant instructor everyone loves her lessons and she teaches from the smallest kids to the adults.

She does half teaching half stable work and loves her job. She also gets a decent wage well over minimum wage

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I agree it would be nice to see a riding school instructor win, perhaps they should have a special section devoted to just them.
Most instructors have mortgages and bills and have no choice but to go off on their own, round here a good one charges at least £30 per hour and more if they travel to you. Last week one I know did from 8 am through to 4pm with just two short breaks, one for lunch, one for coffee. 6 or 7 hours at £30 makes over two hundred pounds less travelling, no riding school instructor would earn anywhere near that in a day.. Top freelance ones charge from £50 an hour, and they expect you to take your horse to them, but if you ever work out how much time and effort they put into learning their skills you appreciate why the charges are so high. Most have worked for peanuts when training and you have to be really good to get people returning time and time again at £50!
I didn't envy that instructor last week, raddled by a bad cough and cold she struggled on and gave everyone a super lesson, that's dedication for you..
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
IMost have worked for peanuts when training and you have to be really good to get people returning time and time again at £50!

[/ QUOTE ]

I could honestly say regarding my instructor - that everyone who I know who rides at the yard - new clients and long term clients like me - she is worth the money.

I was lucky enough to have her for a group lesson over the summer, rarely teaches the group and because I hadn't had her for so long - after my lesson I kept thinking - that's why I pay above the norm for lessons where I am.

Were the top 3 all freelance instructors then?