BHS STAGE 2 TEACH EXAM - RISK ASSESSMENT

Rebeccak

New User
Visit site
Hi all, I have my BHS stage 2 teach exam looming ever closer however I am struggling with writing up the risk assessments. How am I to write a risk assessment based on the assumption that I haven't been to the exam centre before? If anyone has recently done their exam and could offer me some guidance that would be amazing.

TIA

teapot

Visit site
To be honest, that risk assesment is the same generic one wherever you were teaching for both the theory one and the ride one. Eg- teaching tacking up has the same risks regardless of size of box, or where the door is! Your flat to jump progressive lesson will have the same risks and considerations. Most arenas have the same hazards too. You get the chance to discuss it with your assessor on the day and say 'well I'd put my jump grid here because of x,y,z'.

If you know where you're taking the exam, it's easy enough to work out layouts of places thanks to social media, and google maps. Or get there early and complete it.

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
I did a generic risk assessment to take to the exam, but upon arrival, they took you to the arena you would be teaching in and then gave you form to complete the risk assessment based on you having seen the arena and surroundings.
The arena I taught in was surrounded by stables and a busy yard, so obviously there were extra things to consider here that I might not have in an arena further away.

Littlebear

Visit site
Hi all, I have my BHS stage 2 teach exam looming ever closer however I am struggling with writing up the risk assessments. How am I to write a risk assessment based on the assumption that I haven't been to the exam centre before? If anyone has recently done their exam and could offer me some guidance that would be amazing.

TIA

We did the risk assessment at the centre before we started the lessons/exam, so as mentioned above you can write the type of thing to look for and then on the day make it specific to where you are.

Mine was things like, horses turned out nearby the arena (could start running around etc), passing of farm machinery, weather risk (it was overcast and windy). Things like that x