BHS Stage 4

tuscanyD

Visit site
Hello All, I'm new here - live in North Norfolk have one TB x DWB mare who's now 19 - she was a loan horse [owner vanished! Has that happened to anyone else? ] that turned out to have more physio problems that originally thought so she no longer jumps and finds the confines of a competition dressage arena just a bit too hard on her old body. But she still schools nicely and remains active and forward going.

I used to work full time with horses, have my stage 3 etc and an NCMH but now I seem to have a job in PR. Not sure how that happened.

Anyway, have just started a TOCES distance learning course for Stage 4 - hoping to take the care part this time next year [bit too old, fat and unfit for the riding now].

Would welcome any tips, stories, advice on the exam, training etc or from anyone doing a similar course.

I hope to go get some practical training sessions and mock exams in too and would be interested in hearing from anyone with recommendations of where to go for these or who might be interested in sharing the cost together.

Many thanks

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Hi, and welcome. Try putting this post in the carreers and NAGS rooms, you might get more replies there!
smile.gif

Claireg9

Visit site
Hello,
Cant really help you im afraid... sounds intersting though and i wish you every luck in getting your stage 4!
Welcome to HHO i hope you enjoy x

burtie

Visit site
Hi tuscanyD,

Would be very interested to know what you think of the course and how you get on as I am thinking of possibly doing that one in the near future!

Ta

tuscanyD

Visit site
Hi, I'll try and post regularly to keep you updated.

Bit of a glitch to start - they sent me Stage one course instead of 4! But were very good about sorting it out.

The Open College of Equine Studies [TOCES] seems to be the baby of Julie Brega - I've used her excellent books for years so it bodes well.

Got my correct stuff yesterday - well prsented in attractive binders.
At first glance it appears very well prsented and very in depth - I covered a lot of physiology at college [more than needed for sytage 3] but at first read of the physio section in this it really goes into detail but in a very accessible way. Lots of mid-text questions to stop you switching off etc.

The main issue will be making sure I get plenty of practical to back it up - I think anyone studying this way, if they aren't working in the industry, will need to be very pro-active about inviting themselves on the rounds with vets/physios etc and getting plenty of training sessions and exam tips to make sure their practical is up to scratch.