BHS Stages - your experiences please.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Gosh I did mine about quarter of a century ago so don't take too much notice! The examiners are probably dead and buried by now but I do remember being most offended because one of them commented that my hacking jacket was a bit too short. What the heck that had to do with my HK&R I will never know!

ruth83

Visit site
I have been in the system for a time now. I started at the age of 16 doing my stage 1. I am now coming up to 27 and working on the Senior Equitation and coaching exam.
The exams can be frustrating and difficult but are certainly worthwhile, IMO, in a number of career paths. There is a huge sense of achievement when you are succesful at an exam and I am proud of my qualifications.

You will get a mixed bunch of stories on here. A lot of people who think the exams are very old fashioned etc etc, most of whom haven't actually read the syllabus for many years. The system is far from perfect, as most systems are. Like a driving test, it is impossible to test every last situation and, as such, some things have to be done in a less than realistic situation. This said, the system is regularly reviewed and updated.

I would ensuring that anyone you train with is up to date with the exam syllabus and requirements (which may sound obvious but you would be surprised!!). Make sure you go and ride some riding school horses as they are the type of horses you will be riding in the exam.

What area are you in? Perhaps we can recommend somewhere to you?

SnowPhony

Visit site
Thanks Ruth. I've been told its much like doing your driving test in the sense of you get trained to pass the exam rather than be faced with anything you could be faced with.

I have many years experience with horses and have decided its time to get some well respected and credible qualifications behind me. Have found a yard willing to take me on and train me and can't wait to get started.

How much home study and revision did people do for it?

dressagelove

Visit site
Ive spent 20 years around horses, and found stages 1 and 2 easy, almost enjoyable with not much need for loads of revision or practice, most of it came naturally.
Had awful experience with stage 3 however, that was very much having to jump through hoops just to pass. I failed the riding and was that annoyed at how the ridden exams are done I have not bothered doing it again.