BHS way of doing things

eahotson

Visit site
After spending some time sniggering at the BHS fortheir ways I am coming round!I know not all BHS schools are good by the way. Am considering doing my BHS stage 1 just for something to aim at really.For instance I look at the BHS way of putting on a rug. quietly neatly and efficiently. I look at my own way. Throw rug (usually the wrong way round) at horse. Trip over leg straps as I approach long suffering horse to adjust and fasten up same. (All my horses that I have ever had think I shouldn't be allowed out on my own, don't know why!).Have been going to a GOOD BHS school and its amazing how my riding/confidence etc have progressed and how I have come to like the ordered professional way of doing things. Compare to another yard that I know where their lack of professionalism is staggering.Selling young, just broken horses to nervous novices etc.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I agree. BHS way says stables should be well lit, and horse if possible tied up outside whilst you're mucking out. If that's not possible, always aim tools away from horse.

In pony's dark stable, whilst attempting to muck out by torchlight I stabbed pony in the leg this morning. Thankfully no blood, not even a mark, but he was eyeing me up and backed himself into a corner to get away from me after that.

Jeez, so may things I do that arent 'correct'. I have the BHS manuals, and do read bits frequently just to refresh my knowledge, but I don't know why I bother when I don't take the blindest bit of notice!!
The BHS way must save so many accidents, and that's why it's there.

If I did a BHS exam I would fail at the first hurdle!!

burtie

Visit site
I think this is where so many people get confused and start trying to compare the BHS way with NH way when you can't as they are not trying to teach the same thing. The BHS way is not a way of training the horse (at least not below stage 3/4 level). It is all about training the humans to be safe and quiet around horses, it is about teaching them how to handle an already well behaved horse in the most safe manner. Yes it goes completely over the top and most experienced horse people cut corners, rightly or wrongly!

NH methods can be used alongside the BHS way and in no way do they really ever contradict each other, well that is my opinion!

eahotson

Visit site
I didn't critize the NH way of doing things. I try to lead the NH way for instance as it makes more sense.However I think the BHS way GENERALLY of training horses/humans to be a good safe one for all concerned. Especially novices. Once you are more experienced you can adapt things SAFELY as you have a good basis to come from.

siennamum

Visit site
To be honest I don't do things the BHS way neccessarily (ie grooming horse before riding, cleaning tack etc.) BUT I aspire to. I think the BHS is far and away the best framework for proper management of the horse and it's as quick to do things properly as it is to do them badly/dangerously.

bellaboo

Visit site
I have really enjoyed doing my stages, and yes it is basically teaching you safe handling around horses and general knowledge on horse care. It's good to have something to aim for and if you want to get a career in horses or just to broaden your knowledge it's worth doing. Was great fun too!!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I have been a critic of the BHS in former posts but not particularly for the theory behind the way they advise handling horses and such.

For me, my problem with the BHS is more down to the level of teaching - in riding terms - that is offered in this country. As Ive said before, there are some good BHS establishments in the country that do produce good riders. For every one of those, there are also multiple centres that dont and good riders arent being produced. It's also this side of things that seem to be criticised by potential employers.

Also, while the BHS may have credible principles, a look around at some of their approved establishments suggests that something is going wrong in between because this "vision" (for want of a better word) isn't actually reflected in many of the BHS approved centres.

As a country, we seem to be struggling more and more to prouduce good, talented riders at a grass roots level. Yet on the continent, riding seems to be taught right from the start as a sport... not just a pastime and consequently, I personally believe they produce much better riders. To attain the higher creditations under the german training system is very difficult and employers, even over here, hold much higher respect for them as a result. In the U.K, while someone with their stage 3 may have a solid base of theoretical knowledge, their standard of riding seems to be quite low these days.

Anyway, hope that explains why some people are critical of the BHS. It's not necessarily because the stuff they print on paper is wrong - it's because the actual standards that they are supposed to monitor and maintain through their approved centres dont seem to be met.

SSM

Visit site
I don't think the BHS should be blamed for instructors - as with school teachers there are good teachers and there are bad teachers - they have worked towards and acheived a qualification.

siennamum

Visit site
I agree there is inconsistency in the level of riding expected and some poor students seem to be able to acheive their stages 3 & 4. It's a tough one and I think the BHS is doing a creditable job trying to evaluate some of these people.
Basic training in Germany is simply better. A basic riding school will intensively teach pupils to ride to elementary level at a relatively early stage and they will not be able to jump a pole on the ground till they can ride at a good level on the flat.
Interestingly these riders are unlikely to be able to ride anything which isn't a schoolmaster and wouldn't know how to gallop across a field, so we're getting some things right!!
I think the problem is more to do with the way we teach riding in this country, which is more the fault of the riding school system, rather than neccesarily the BHS, after all many schools are ABRS approved not BHS.

Baileysno1

Visit site
I'm currently doing my Stage 2 training I passed my Stage 1 by ordering the book and just taking the exam as its fairly basic, however I felt I needed some help with learning the BHS way mainly for the theory stuff for Stage 2 so I go one evening a week for a theory and ridden session with a qualified examiner.

Its all very bizare, I am constantly critiscised about riding the horse into a contact, I have been made to ride with a whip under my thumbs, one handed and she has recomended I have lunge lessons without riens. The problem lies in me lowering my hands and increasing the angle of the bend in my elbow to ask the horse to lower its head and soften, don't get me wrong I don't pin the horses head down with set hands I do soften once he does. But this instructor seems to have an obbsession with this BHS elbow bend. To me a horse should work through and into an outline and use itself correctly this is what I ride towards. My dressage trainer (who has no formal BHS qualifications) thinks its halarious and has reassured me I don't have 'awful hands'.

Last week I thought if you can't beat them join them and rode the little mare around at the end of a washing line with my elbows bent and she was full of praise (!) But I would be slightly concered if she ask me take her round a course of 2'6'' jumps as in the exam. I definatley think there should be more of an emphasis on flatwork and schooling before inexperienced riders tackle jumping.

Sorry so long

teapot

Visit site
On some levels the BHS is very good on getting people to use their common sense and stage 1 & some of stage 2 is about safety more than anything else.

Regarding the teaching side - swings and roundabouts. All my instructors are BHS qualified to varying levels but they have learnt on the job, weren't stuck in a college being book taught which makes a difference.

Regarding the elbows thing - my instructors would be saying the same thing regarding my hands. My instructors are very much of the opinion that you worry about the back end before you think about the outline. As 8/10 times you will see someone riding in an outline but the back end is going the other way; only reason they are riding in an outline as such is to look good. I wouldn't say my instructors are BHS based - far from it. One lesson I had I rode for an hour with my hands crossed over and then reins crossed - rather hard to do properly and a get a result of it.

Really does depend on what their take on outlines, leg yeild etc is.

I'm lucky that I ride at a very good RS which is a BHS where to train yard etc. I have to pay a lot for it. But I would say I get my money's worth. I've been to other BHS yards and the difference even though they are all approved is quite eye opening. If you find a good one, they tend to be very good. It's just finding them is the problem these days

emma69

Visit site
Regarding the elbows, the thought is that if you keep the weight into your elbows, rather than your wrists you will lighten the hands - the reins should never be like washing lines, you still have a contact. As the horse comes round from behind the neck and head soften. Your elbows tuck into your waist, and the position, once you have got used to it granted, it a very natural position. Biggest problem? reins not being long enough!!! I've been taught this by both BHS instructors, and dressage instructors.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I did the BHS stage 1 preparation just for "fun" and I ended up very disillusioned with the teaching. My instructor (who reduced at least one person to tears during every lesson) constantly criticised me for only having the toe of my boot in the stirrup, even though I never lose my stirrups and a torn Achilles tendon makes it very uncomfortable to have my left foot rammed home through the stirrup anyway. I wasn't encouraged to ride any of the horses in an outline and had to have my reins so loose that I couldn't even feel the horses' mouths. All I had to do to get praised was ram my feet though the stirrups and slop about on a loose rein! I didn't learn a thing so gave up before taking the exam as I was so bored.