Bicton 5*.

Bustermartin

Visit site
I’m told tickets go on sale today - and I’d really like to go. Does anyone know where I buy them from? I can’t find anything on bicton-arena itself, or anywhere else I can think of…. Also any idea if you can view an entry list online? Thanks! Am reluctant to ring Bicton themselves as they must be so busy!

Parrotperson

Visit site
I'm not sure they will TBH. announced v late in the season so most will have planned out a different course for their horses. Plus go to Pau as that's bound to run. Is it even worth running with 24 entries?

Reactions: TPO

Bustermartin

Visit site
I hear what you are saying - but given the press release about the cross country course yesterday, I’d be surprised if they didn’t run - but you may be right. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

ihatework

Visit site
They called round riders to gauge interest before announcing the 5* and I have a feeling they were expecting around 30 entries.

Difficult though with Covid and Brexit to get the EU entries, plus horses being saved for Euros

Chiffy

Visit site
A quote from Andrew Nicholson’s column in H and H last Thursday :-
Its great that Bicton is running aCCI5*. It will be interesting to see how many entries they get. It’s a busy autumn calendar and some people might feel that they don’t want to return to Bicton for their second major event of the year, having done the CCI4*-L and CCI4*-S there in June.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
32 now - and with some exciting entries - previous 5* winners like Vanir Kamira and Ringwood Skyboy, and some young guns like Chilli Knight and JL Dublin. Should be a good competitive field!

I expect JL to go to Euros. Cornbury has a very impressive field in OI with horses you would expect to go to Bicton but guessing Brookfield Innocence will go to Euros as will Allstar B.

Fanatical

Visit site
When you take into account inevitable withdrawals for the usual reasons as well as horses selected for the euros, surely it won't be worth running as they'd have to expect to lose around at least 10 entries?! Seems a little bizarre to me. I think when certain people were moaning about there not being a UK 5 star this year, they were probably hoping the powers that be would make Burghley happen some how - I suspect they didn't expect another venue to suggest offering a one off event...it was never going to be quite the same! It just seems an unfortunate situation given the work that will have already gone in to get to this stage!

Denbob

Visit site
They'll make up their entry fees from riders on ticket sales if it's anything like the 4* a few months ago. Went with a friend and while it was a nice event I think we paid £30 a head which felt like quite a lot when compared to Barbury which was £10 or £12 and had a much more rounded schedule.

Denbob

Visit site
I could justify it if there was other stuff going on, like Barbury was excellent and had working hunter, scurry driving, hunt relay and pony club showjumping on and even kept my non-horsey partner hooked throughout the day but for less than 3 hours and tickets at £35 I really don't think I can.

SOS

Visit site
£35?? That’s almost what Burghley is for a Saturday ticket with full stalls, 80+ horses and lots going on.

I would love to go to Bicton but it’s much too far for an event which won’t have as much on as Badminton or Burghley. That said if I lived local I’d most likely cough up the £35 quite happily to go see some eventing again.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Given the fuss made by owners and riders about the cancellations of Badminton and Burghley I am saddened that this has not been better supported by them. The number of 5* and ready to step up 4* horses entered in the OI at Cornbury was a lot -109 entries in total for that class. It will be interesting to see if there are some late entries to Bicton after the ballot which was at noon today. Looking at the Cornbury schedule they will only be able to run 1 section of OI so 69 will be balloted.

YorkshireLady

Visit site
Trouble is the complaints were because wanted Badminton or Burghley - not a different venue. Some owners will wait for a different run if horses young enough etc as only get some many runs at that level.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Depends how the ticket sales go if entries are low. It's not looking worth the drive from somerset for me TBH

I went to the 4* which was fantastic as watched highest calibre field as watched xc and Sjing. Cannot gather any enthusiasm to watch 37 horses and a lot of those will not get round and nothing else going on that day.