Big cat - Brentwood Essex

Twiglet

Visit site
I hack there twice a week, and my horse is kept on the edge of the park....going to be looking over my shoulder a bit now.

I'm sure we've heard something similar to a big cat there before - schooling one night, heard some very threatening growling, and the horses flipped....

Huge deer population over there, so plenty of food for any predators......

Pasha

Visit site
I watched a TV programme the other night about the big cats in the UK - apparently there are quite a few (they used to be kept as pets in the 70's and were released and probably started to breed)

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Could sort out the pigeons down our yard!
grin.gif

On a serious note though, there have been reports of sightings for a few years now.

Twiglet

Visit site
There's been quite a bit of stuff on the internet about it in the past........apparently a 'den' was found over the park with deer carcasses in.

But we still have a big deer/fox/feral cat population, can't imagine they'd be too happy with a bloody panther strolling round the place!

Dogbetty141

Visit site
All I can say is that if there was these big cats in Brentwood why would they not have attacked humans(Dogwalkers) or hikers?? they would under normal circumstances e.g if the human was in there territory. Im not saying that there are none but i do think that they would have attacked humans by now especially if they have been there since the 70's.

Unless they were used to humans with them being pets and they have brought there young up to leave them alone?? are they that clever??

Sorry sort of having a discussion with my sad self really.

the watcher

Visit site
They don't attack humans because they are conditioned to see us as a threat and not dinner, every time they will avoid contact with us if at all possible and the worse thing you could ever do is corner one.
I know there is a family who occasionally move into the woods near my yard (have casts of adult and cub prints) so we make a point of talking quite loudly when we hack around there..it frightens off all the wildlife with the advantage that the deer hear us coming too and don't burst out of the bushes at us.
Their territory is huge and the do tend to move to various dens around it throughout the year..so if they are near you now, they may well be gone in a couple of months until the same time next year.

moon_drop

Visit site
We have two big cats in our area a big black one and a lynx. we see the lynx in the winter some times at night when its been snowing it was really scary the first time but now its ok he never stays around long. he has been seen all over the area around 25 miles, he must cross the main road at night. only every seen the big black cat in the shadows but it was there!!!! it was very big and very scary. every now and again some one will see it. people in this area don't talk alot about them they just leave them be. Both have been in our area for over 10 years they are both still alive. I saw the big black cat the other night crossing the road it was just getting dark. at first i thought it was a deer but it was the wrong shape for a deer it was the big black cat am postive. Wouldn't like to get to close to the black cat it still scares me when I see it but the lynx does not worry me. our horses must be used to them being around as they are never that worry about them being around. I allways think their more scared you than you are of them.

Dogbetty141

Visit site
What happened to the woman?? Was she ok?? Why do they not attack horses then are they too big a prey? It would worry me seeing them all over the place there is no way you would get me walking around through the day never mind in the dark. It must worry you a little bit I would worry about my horse to even if he is 16.1h and i would say he was too big. It must frighten them??

Just curious really

the watcher

Visit site
I do know of one horse that died in a field where a sheep was savaged, never clear as to whether dogs or a big cat was responsible, but the horse would appear to have died of fright/heart attack

filly190

Visit site
We took three photo's of a big black cat, twenty years ago. It was crossing an open field from a wooded area to get to the horses drinking water.

At the time there was little in the papers about this, and we did'nt altert anyone because we were afraid we'd get all sorts with guns coming onto the land.

We only ever saw this cat once, it was out there long enough to run to the house and get a camera. I know they are night animals and we kept the horses near to the house at night after that and did'nt put them up the top field near the woods.

This experience has never left me, silly really but it gave me years of night mares.