big crack in hoof, help

han_mojo

Visit site
Need a bit of help and advice. My horse has a big crack in him hoof picture below,
DSC00239.jpg

What do i do?

the watcher

Visit site
I wouldn't ride until the farrier has been, the foot is not supported and the danger of infection and further injury is very high..be scrupulous about keeping it clean and dry.
It appears to be the result of some kind of injury - keep a lookout for any sign of heat or lameness

Llwyncwn

Visit site
By the looks of it this happened about 4 months ago. There has been changes in his life also a number of times during this period. Can you tell us more about what has happened to him in the last 6 months?

han_mojo

Visit site
nothin really has changed. everythin has been the same. he was lame in april to may with his front right knee but that couldnt be it.

han_mojo

Visit site
should i put anything on it? My horse never has cracks in his hoofs. hes feet and sturdy. the farrier find its hard to cut back him feet thats how hard they are!

Thistle

Visit site
So is what you are saying that the crack has just opened up, as in appeared from nowhere.
Btw those feet look very long, or doesthe horse have very upright feet?

seabiscuit

Visit site
Call the vet ask his advice-possibly get x rays too.
I say this because a mare at my trainers yard had similar- cracks right down from the coronet band- it had extensive remedial farriery was never sound in the end and there was nothing they could do. Mind you it had been suffereing with the cracks for years ( was always sore and stiff moving) before they got round to calling the vet..

han_mojo

Visit site
his feet are like that, is the cob style. they arnt long. Well we have rang the farrier and see what he says when he comes out.

Guinness

Visit site
my horse got a crack like this (tho no way near as big) and i THINK it could have been due to an injury to the coronet band and as it grew out appeared as a weak point in the hoof therefore cracked, tho im not 100% sure. i think it was due to him over reaching, but the other way round (is that called forging??) i got my farrier to check it and he said not to worry it would just grow out, but as i said before it was a lot smaller than yours
this is prob no help at all sorry!!

Haniki

Visit site
I think GigglePig could be right - an old coronary band injury growing out and causing a weak point in the hoof wall. Might even be from an old abscess. Hope it goes on alright.

Nailed

Visit site
hum.. some serious panick mongerers in here. lol

It looks to be as said a crack from an old injury from the coronary band..
If its not bled its not down to the sensative and therefore shouldnt cause any problems at the minute, it may make nailing on a little difficult when it is in the nailing region but not too much hassel..

I woouldnt worry about it and i definatly wouldn't be getting the vet out before ma farrier has been out.. It will possibly rasp out anyway. Dont panick.
Lou x

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
If its just opened up out of nowhere, id be concerned but Id agree with loobie_lou; it looks much more like an old coronet band injury that is now growing out.

Last October, my boy had a fall in a horse box and got his legs caught under a full metal partition damaging two coronet bands.

The cracks arent quite as long as those.. id guess two inches on both the fore and hind leg hoof of his off side. The back one caused a minor problem about a month back when it hit the point of the nail holes and cracked more.. the farrier has since had to remove a small chunk of hoof as it was pulling away. Aside from that, they caused zero issues at all. The farriers have all been perfectly happy to leave them alone and by next shoeing, they'll be gone
smile.gif

As i said.. if they literally appeared out of nowhere, id be concerned.. but id bet its a coronet injury thats growing out

the watcher

Visit site
Not a panic monger, and agree it is an injury growing out..however it IS a weak spot on the hoof and if it has literally just appeared then it does need the farrier to assess whether that hoof wall is going to continue to support work while it is growing out and it is still a potential infection entry path.

han_mojo

Visit site
its dry. and no fluid is coming out. People from my yard said no need to panic. The crack isnt deap you can hardly get your nail in it. We have called the farrier, and see what he says when he comes. I havnt ridden, even though its a very nice day!!!!!

han_mojo

Visit site
The farrier said, he has not seen anything like this before! he said there nothing to worry about, it looks like an over growth. Where the hoof wall has grown too quickly for it and has cracked out to grow. He said the crack isnt deep, hes not lame, and the wall is fine, and is supported.