Big Crack in hoof....

miamibear

Visit site
Neddy has had crack in hoof since he came to me, farrier said it was where he has had an abcess and the laminae has died and everything. Its about 1/2 inch wide at bottom and then tapers up the hoof until about an inch off the coronet band.

Anyway the shoeing on that foot is appauling. It is longer at the crack side. Think farrier was aware but couldnt hack too much off it at once in one shoeing. Bad shoeing in past!

He has now been shod for 6 weeks on Fri. Farrier said book him in for 7 weeks but his assistant mistakenly booked me in for 8.

My question is would it be better to leave the crack and let the hoof grow as much as possible before re shoeing or would it be better to get them shod now?

I am consious of the fact that the crack may grow and there is a small hairline crack coming out of it at the moment, i am using kerotex everyday to try and stop it getting bigger.

Not sure what to do, have text farrier to see if he can come on friday for 6 weekly shoeing but not sure he will be able to fit me in, hes so busy! He is coming a week on friday to others on the yard but need to either get him done or stop worrying about it. Its driving me mad, where i dont really want to hack him out because of the concussion up the crack.

Is there any filling for the crack that would help?
confused.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
If it was mine, I'd try to get farrier asap (as you are), I'd start rubbing Cornucrescine into the coronet band twice a day or as many times as possible (old fashioned but good, it's the stimulation that helps, also great for your own nails too!) I'd also be feeding a balancer like Blue Chip which is a big help in situations like these (even farriers agree on this one!) I'd be wary of doing too much until farrier has been and then be reasonably gentle with the work I'd be asking of him, especially thumping round a school; I'd rather do slow steady hacking being careful of the ground. Your farrier should have something to fill in the crack for now while it is growing out but it might mean you have to have shorter intervals between trims even if he can put old shoes back on (removes). Also, I've heard that powdered gelatine is good but I've never used it; I'd pick the farrier's brains too, he must have dealt with lots of other cases like this.

miamibear

Visit site
Farrier told me not to worry, but he knows im a worrier so was probably trying to get me off his back!

He is on a feed supplement, he is on Topspec and as i say i have been doing the keratex which i think is really good for cracks, it does stabalise the hoof wall.

Good to know im doing the right thing by getting in touch with him though. Text about 2 hours ago but no reply yet, doesnt seem promising!

Round us all we have is road hacking so thats why im so bothered! The school is quite soft so im happier with riding in there. Definate ban on any trots on roads and not do too much.

What stuff will he put in the crack and will it help?

Thanks for the advice
grin.gif

TGM

Visit site
Definitely get him shod ASAP - if the hoof starts to grow over the shoe then it can lever the crack open more. Farrier might be really busy at moment so may try to put you off though! Ditto all the good advice given above.

Claireg9

Visit site
ok sounds to me if it hasnt gone all the way up to the coronet band that it wont be permanent damage... which is a good thing and it should grow out. Obviously your getting your farrier out again, keep intervals short to start with. Feed Farriers formula, helps make them strong and grow long, hoof moist is good to keep the hoof moisturised, and also soak feet in water dialy for about 10-15 minutes!
As to Cornicrsine (SP) it does help growth but can make the horn soft so isnt always best to use as the hoof wall can become weaker.
Just do sympathetic riding until your next farrier visit.
Good luck im sure it will work out right in the end x

Sparklet

Visit site
Hi Mel,

My little Spice has cracks up the front of her feet - they were under the front toe clips originally and my farrier has been putting shoes with quarter clips on her front feet for the past year. He also sliced a horizontal groove across her hoof to stop the crack going further up.

Despite all this the cracks have been there for a year now - getting no worse but no better. I have been feeding a hoof supplement all that time and hope that as the better horn grows down they may eventually grow out. If it is of any comfort she has had no problems with them but I do have her done every 6 weeks religiously to keep the pressure off the cracks.

vicm2509

Visit site
Baron had some bad cracks in his hooves when I got him and 5 weeks after being shod chunks were chipping out the bottom of his feet. I started using ketatex and my farrier couldnt believe the improvement when he came to see him last week. I get him shod every 6-7 weeks at the moment until the cracks have gone (were almost there). This time the farrier moved the nail holes about 2cm up from where they were before and to the side a bit which will hopefully improve the crack which were mainly coming from the nail holes.

I would get him shod asap, use cournicresine (*sp) and continue with the keratex.

Drummer

Visit site
My beast suffers from sand cracks and my old farrier was never too fused or bothered doing anything to help them. But since moving yards and changing farriers about 10 months ago now the improvment has been amazing. My new farrier isnt too bothered about them and I also had a friend who is a farrier have a look and he also said they were nothing to worry about. But I was/am a worrier like you and so scared that my horse was turning into a goat! My farrier has scrapped away at the crack which was at worst an inch wide at the bottom and led almost all the way up to the coronet band but obviously gettin thinner nearer to the top. Every time he is shod there is a HUGE improvment and I get very excited about this!!!! He is now shod around the 5 week mark every time and was done again yesterday his crack is now just less then an inch triangular shape at the toe and heading nowhere near his coronet band.

Sorry about that being the worlds longest story!!!! But my advice is carry on with what you are doing and try not to worry too much! I feed topspec to Drum which contains the right levels of biotin for healthy foof managment and I rub cornecresin into his coronet band with a toothbrush as often as I can. I have used keretex but didn't persevere but next pay day I think I will and stick to it this time!!

But just try not to worry, its a long process but his feet will be fine before you know it!!!! But topspec and corni' all the way!!!!