Big day tomorrow...I'm nervous!

georgiegirl2

Visit site
Big day of getting twiggy out in the field for a few hours. we tried brushing boots on her tonight and let her wear them in the stable for an hour or two and she really can kick out! she seems to settle with them after a while of kicking in her box.

Bit nervous about turning her out. mum walked her round the yard today and although she didnt do anything said she felt like a bit of a time bomb. My last experience with turning an ex racer out is one who proceeded to have a broncing fit on the end of the rope. I was fairly quick out the way and was very lucky to escape with my hand being kicked (it bloody hurt) so getting her to the field tomorrow is getting me nervous!

Equibeau

Visit site
Dont want to sound like i am teaching Granny to suck eggs, but i would use a bridle and a lunge line to be on the safe side. Good luck!

georgiegirl2

Visit site
we'll be using a lunge line but not a bridle. hard hat and gloves and ive got a helper to help me with the gates. as shes been in training she wont have been turnde out so i think its going to be a bit of a mind blowing day! she'll probably suprise me and be as good as gold going down to the field but im not taking any chances! she'll be first out out of everyone

jayvee

Visit site
Just go over in your mind 'i'm just turning out the little gentle pony' rather than think 'oh it might kick it might explode' stuff. And to be on the safe side use a bridle and lunge line. Get your thoughts calm and it will show through your body language.
When you come to turn out, get the horse to face you and towards the fence/gate before letting go. You shouldn't get kicked that way.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
its not the letting go which is worrying me its the actual getting there! i know it sounds really stupid to say im a bit nervous about it but that day the other horse started broncing i was lucky to get away with a kicked hand. Dont know why im being like this as she hasnt misbehaved walking round the yard yet its just that previous experience has left me a bit nervous of being on the ground around flighty tb's!

MissDeMeena

Visit site
Give it some ACP, no matter how you play it, horse is surely going to do itself some damage.. just give it 3 or so ACP 30min before you turn it out, and all should be fine..