Bike riders 40 in one bunch!!!!!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Was taking 7 horses to the field, all good to hack and on a quiet narrow single track lane.... Along comes 40 + bikes hurtling up behind us!!! Horse at the back was really spooked, nearly ran himself into a ditch, they were not planning on slowing down, had it not been for the fact they could not really get past us , I assure an accident would have happened, all riders were shouting slow down please, !
There was no need for them to be on that small lane, it's little used and is a cut through from the bridle path to another bridle path and then to the village. We got to the field ok, few shook up but thankfully no one came to harm. Never seen them there prior to today.
Not one of them said sorry, they must have see the horses as they were on a 500yard straight part of the road. Shame some of them never ended up in the huge roadside nettles!!!

gillianclaude

Visit site
Fair enough slagging them off because they didn't slow down, but maybe they WANTED to go there? So maybe there was a need? And uncalled for saying they should of ended up in the nettles.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Again agree with the comments about behaviour grrr but not about them 'not needing to be there'.

We really do need to stop the divide and rule approach.

They were there legally, as were you.

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
I remember years ago on my TB I had to stand in a gateway on a narrow lane while about 40 hells angels went past, he jumped 40 times, but was as good as gold, this is why it is so important we make sure our horses are desensitised to loud noises before we venture too far ;)

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
I also had a gaggle of around 40 cyclists come up behind me on a country lane while out riding this morning. They shouted to warn me they were there, were polite, friendly, considerate and neither myself nor my horse were a bit troubled by the experience... In fact once they had all passed by, my horse decided it would be fun to trot and keep up with them!!! I love our Sunday morning hacks

Last edited:

dafthoss

Visit site
I met about 60 road cyclists down a single track road and they were fab, pony was a bit shocked that they kept coming towards him but they all slowed down and were very considerate. They have just as much right to be out enjoying the roads as you do no matter where it goes.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I find the majority of cyclists really good - a lot of them will shout or do something to alert me when they are coming up from behind - and I always make sure I say "Morning" or"Evening" or whatever to them.
That's not to say there is the odd idiot out there - but the same can be said of any road user - including horseriders!
A vehicle/cyclist/rider has the right to be on any public highway at any time they choose - as long as they adhere to the rules of the road.
OP I'm sorry this has happened to you, and it sounds like you met a clueless bunch - but they're not all the same.

Mithras

Visit site
If it was a public road, as opposed to a private road, they are as entitled to be there as you. Were there seven people riding the horses, or were they being led?

tbh it a nice day, nice weather, and its not unreasonable that other people might enjoy the countryside as well as yourself. What if you had met several speeding cars?

DressageCob

Visit site
I had 30 trail runners on a bridleway a couple of days ago. Would normally be fine except they were ninjas and we didn't know they were there until they were passing us, so horsey had a little jump. That was fine, until one chap decided to slap pony's bottom as he went past. Since when has it been alright to slap a random horse? Said horse is a rescue boy, not good with men, definitely not good with being hit, so kicked out and bolted...poor boy. Shame the chap didn't get hit by a hoof in the teeth. No apology either, just an angry conversation with his friends about how dangerous my boy is. Meanie :(

pookie

Visit site
I had 30 trail runners on a bridleway a couple of days ago. Would normally be fine except they were ninjas and we didn't know they were there until they were passing us, so horsey had a little jump. That was fine, until one chap decided to slap pony's bottom as he went past. Since when has it been alright to slap a random horse? Said horse is a rescue boy, not good with men, definitely not good with being hit, so kicked out and bolted...poor boy. Shame the chap didn't get hit by a hoof in the teeth. No apology either, just an angry conversation with his friends about how dangerous my boy is. Meanie :(

Some people just beggar belief. I'd've been inclined to tell him that, resemblance aside, your horse's bum is not his wife's face ;)

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Normally I find bikers some of the most considerate road users.:confused:

Ooops I assumed when your said bikes you were referring to motorbikes - they have always been really considerate in my experience.

Cyclists however in general I fine totally self centered and inconsiderate be they road racers, or mountain bikers on bridleways. I have to say it is not all, but most (there has to be an exception to every rule;)).

Spit That Out

Visit site
Again agree with the comments about behaviour grrr but not about them 'not needing to be there'.

We really do need to stop the divide and rule approach.

They were there legally, as were you.

^^^ This I'm afraid.

We need to share the roads...they are there for everyone to use. Yes there needs to be more courtesy and respect from everyone who uses the roads to each other but because someone doesn't behave in a way you like, you shouldn't wish them harm - in this case a nettle sting :)

monkeybum13

Visit site
Ooops I assumed when your said bikes you were referring to motorbikes - they have always been really considerate in my experience.

Cyclists however in general I fine totally self centered and inconsiderate be they road racers, or mountain bikers on bridleways. I have to say it is not all, but most (there has to be an exception to every rule;)).

Completely disagree, I find mountain bikers very friendly and courteous. Only the other day I was riding down a narrow byway when 2 mountain bikers were coming towards me. As soon as they saw me they stopped and pulled their bikes to the edge and we then had a quick chat.

7 horses does sound a lot to be riding down a narrow country lane!

dilbert

Visit site
I would have been jumpy at that lot, cob would too I'm sure but it's all good practise for both me and him :) we met lots of off lead dogs today which was an experience but my boy was a star, the dog walkers were all friendly and I'll feel more confident next time we meet barky dogs.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
It was a private owned lane sandwiched between 2 bridle paths and the road that goes to the village, so we never expected them to be there, they even rode over 2 cattle grids and they swore at us, we ride this way every Sunday afternoon to get to the field, called us names we would rather the children who were being led not hear, if you get my meaning, of course any one is allowed to use public roads, I have spoken to the estate owner this evening, he is aware of the incident, he thinks they took a wrong turn, they have never been seen there before today. I have normaly found bike riders polite but take my word for it there was no politeness shown from them at all! We just got cursed cos they were forced to slow down, width of lane would just about take a transit size vehicle.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Completely disagree, I find mountain bikers very friendly and courteous. Only the other day I was riding down a narrow byway when 2 mountain bikers were coming towards me. As soon as they saw me they stopped and pulled their bikes to the edge and we then had a quick chat.

The mountain bikers I meet are on the North Downs, normally hurtling downhill fast, with total disregard to their life and limb or that of the walkers/riders coming round the corner! On one byway TBH due to the gravelly surface, the incline and their speed, they couldn't stop if they wanted too! The scramblers that travel the same byway have all been great.

The road racers fly past before you even know they are there half the time (though some are slowly starting to add a bell, so we get fair warning).

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
The mountain bikers I meet are on the North Downs, normally hurtling downhill fast, with total disregard to their life and limb or that of the walkers/riders coming round the corner! On one byway TBH due to the gravelly surface, the incline and their speed, they couldn't stop if they wanted too!

I come across them too, probably in the same places as you!
Had 16 mountain bikes coming down the hill at speed in a field where no cyclists should be, I had no where to get out of the way, yet if you say anything you just get verbal abuse and ridden at.

emalou2

s400.photobucket.com
I encountered cyclists today. My comment was ( as he was sweating his balls off) "you should get one of these!!" it really riles them 😉

Pale Rider

Visit site
If you want to ride on a road, lane or path where people cycle, it's your responsibility to ensure your horse is happy to let 1 or 100 cyclists pass without spooking or becoming unsafe.

You cannot protect your horse from the world, its up to you to make sure he is confident in the world.

Jazzy B

Visit site
If you want to ride on a road, lane or path where people cycle, it's your responsibility to ensure your horse is happy to let 1 or 100 cyclists pass without spooking or becoming unsafe.

You cannot protect your horse from the world, its up to you to make sure he is confident in the world.

totally agree ^^^

Luci07

Visit site
There is a fine line to be drawn. Yes I agree that we all must share the roads and byways. Not a problem. I do however, strongly object when cyclists think they have complete precedence in training or racing on a public highway. Meeting a lot of cyclists, fast' is pretty unnerving.. And I am talking about being in a car!

The number is largely irrelevant to or either of my horses, it's the ones who take up the entire road who are a danger!

DougalJ

Visit site
I find cyclists are very curtious normally and make themselves known. My horse normally senses them anyway. This morning when hacking out I came across many cyclists on the lanes and I'm lucky my horse is fine with them. However upon getting to the yard (well timed!) we then heard this horrendous noise almost sounding like a chinook helicopter... Well it was a mini steam engine rally with about 20 odd old fashioned tractors and steam engines. My horse was not impressed spitting his dinner over the stable door at the noise and ground shaking as they went past! :)

Count Oggy

Visit site
We had to wait to leave the lane from our house today as there was a cycle race in progress. As we were watching them I wondered how the horses would react. I'm now thinking of calling the council to find out when the next one will be so that I can take them to have a look. Cycle races are common in my area and I don't fancy being jumped into a field if I come across them in the future.

cptrayes

Visit site
Was taking 7 horses to the field, all good to hack and on a quiet narrow single track lane.... Along comes 40 + bikes hurtling up behind us!!! Horse at the back was really spooked, nearly ran himself into a ditch, they were not planning on slowing down, had it not been for the fact they could not really get past us , I assure an accident would have happened, all riders were shouting slow down please, !
There was no need for them to be on that small lane, it's little used and is a cut through from the bridle path to another bridle path and then to the village. We got to the field ok, few shook up but thankfully no one came to harm. Never seen them there prior to today.
Not one of them said sorry, they must have see the horses as they were on a 500yard straight part of the road. Shame some of them never ended up in the huge roadside nettles!!!

Can I ask how many of you were taking seven horses down the road to be turned out in a field?

Were you riding or leading?

If riding, were you in full tack and hi vis, and going to carry it all back to the stables again after they were turned out?

I sometimes come across a girl riding one and leading two on narrow, bendy country lanes and I think it's the stupidest riding I have ever seen :( I am concerned about your tale because I am having trouble imagining seven people leading, or riding, horses down that narrow road, which is the only way that I would consider it to be remotely safe.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
we have so many cyclists and races round here - huge pods (is that the right word ?) of them flashing by. Some will bother to call out, and I always make a point of telling them the warning is much appreciated - even tho Shy doesn't bat an eyelid at them, but a lot of horses do.

But I have to say, they do seem a grumpy lot round here. My salutations of the day are often not replied to - could it be that I look as mad as I actually am ? But then again, one even asked me where he could get a Polite tabard, so swings and roundabouts. :)

Flicker

Visit site
There are lovely cyclists and idiot cyclists where I ride. Just as there are bikers who switch their engines off as the come past, and those who rev them louder. Their are motorists who are lovely and wave at me and my horse, and those who shout at me to 'get off the bloody road'...
....and when i am the one driving in the car, there are some lovely riders who wave and smile when I drive past wide and slow, and those unfortunate others who look at me like I am the #%^* they scraped off their shoe.

A bit like life really.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Oh yes, hi vis all round, seven riders three leaders , two cars gone ahead to field to fetch riders back, it's been same routine for many years, same route, hardly ever meet more than few dog walkers, or other rider or two. Yard owner is a health and safety freak , we will put it down to just an unfortunate incident. As I said previous it is a private lane on a private estate, and farm. The bike riders had no reason to be there unless they were going to the farm or the big house, they would have had to go 100 yards on a rough track to get back to the main lane that goes to a village.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
One lovely cyclist a few weeks ago was shouting brrriiiinng brrrrriiiing when cycling up behind me, gave me a little giggle though.

Had a nightmare in the horsebox today though, going up hill with blind summit, behind a cyclist, learner driver in front of that, and a fire engine with lights on coming past, there were so many hazards I didn't know what to do with myself lol :p :D

Marydoll

Visit site

Utter rubbish, most horses would take a good look and may possibly spook at a load of bikes hurtling towards them, its a true saying a horse will spook at anything that moves and anything that doesnt ...... Even the best of them can be unpredictable, and that is detailed in the highway code that tells them to pass slowly, and to look and listen for signals from the riders.
My experience of the lycra clad eejits who use the roads around our farm as there personal tracks for speed trials, is not good they, ignore any requests to slow down and nearly knocked down a woman walking with a pram and toddler who were walkng along the road, and not one of them slowed down to see if they were alright, these guys are total pri**s