Bikes - think the word has got out

pennyturner

Visit site
Noticed over the summer that I can't remember the last bike that went past us without giving us a word or other signal of their presence

Even though my ponies are all 100% (even if cycle comes out of nowhere and they're in blinkers), we still appreciate it, and it seems that they all know to speak up now. Has there been some kind of education campaign?

BBP

Visit site
My mum spoke to some cyclists who had stopped for lunch at a garden centre, they told her they had lots of messages and talks etc on how to pass horses at their cycle club. Certainly the ones round me have been really good this year.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've had a few pass without saying anything but tended to be the non professional types! going slow enough that they didn't scare us! but defo a massive improvement with the road bike riders!! this time last year my horse would spin in the road because they were so silent, now he doesn't bat an eyelid at them! yay

spacefaer

Visit site
Had one creeping behind me - about 8 feet behind me - I only noticed because he did that back pedalling thing so I heard the clunk of the chain.

I swung round and said that I didn't know he was there, and he seemed really surprised - how am I meant to hear him when he has no bell and doesn't speak?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I have also had some great groups passing. Shout from behind.... "Morning! 10 cycles, ok to pass?" "Yes, on you go." "First passing, MORNING!" on to "Last man passing, thank you!"

Shantara

Visit site
We've had some really great ones too!
There was some sort of organised ride along the Three Shires Way last weekend and they were all really good - with the exception of one, who I don't actually believe was with them anyway. The first bunch said "There are 50 of us coming, are we going to be a problem?" I said no, keep coming, even if you are the horses need to learn. All the little groups that went past said something, a good morning or a thanks.
We even went past a shed that usually has a barking dog, so I said to the bloke behind "We might travel right at some speed, there's a dog" He said not to worry, he'll wait until we say it's safe to go :) luckily there was no dog, so all was well.

The one girl who wasn't so good decided it was a great idea to ride behind Serenity on a narrow bridge, while she was going backwards due to some bales she hadn't seen, then stop directly behind her hind legs!! Good thing she's not a kicker. I tried kindly telling her of her mistake, but she looked mistified.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Haha... glad you've got the educated ones, we have mountain bikers on our trail more often than not and apart from a squeaky brake 3 feet behind you, you don't know they are there!

I think the horses know before we do and seem ok with it, but I do try and educate them without sounding rude but they always give me the glare. What's so rude about "oh hello, didn't hear you coming - next time give us a clue you're there and we can move out of your way".

MyBoyChe

Visit site
There has been a definite improvement around our way, shouting out as they approach and lots of good mornings and thank yous all round. In fact, just this week, I had a cyclist thank me for waiting behind him in my car, that is a definite first and its amazing how much less annoyed I felt about having to wait for about 2 miles to pass when he bobbed his hand up to acknowledge me!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Had one creeping behind me - about 8 feet behind me - I only noticed because he did that back pedalling thing so I heard the clunk of the chain.

I swung round and said that I didn't know he was there, and he seemed really surprised - how am I meant to hear him when he has no bell and doesn't speak?

By checking what's behind just like driving a car .

ihatework

Visit site
Definitely much more awareness from cyclists around here over the last year or two.
It's rare now to meet a road rider who doesn't call out.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I was trying to persuade a mad welsh to go past some extremely dangerous and new bollards a few weeks ago and had one sneak up behind me and try and pass me right at that moment while she was in the middle of the road having a freaky fit. Luckily I just saw him in time to say don't pass me now! No self preservation at all it should have been totally obvious to anyone with half a brain not to squeeze past that horse at that moment. (It was a metre long section and literally a few seconds hold up while we pranced past!).

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The majority of mountain bikers where we are are very courteous but I did notice a couple this week especially call out if it was ok to pass. My horse is so used to them he's pretty unfazed but I said thank you so much I really appreciate it.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
By checking what's behind just like driving a car .

If you are on a hill like I live on which does not have clear view all the way up it and they are coming down it at 50mph silently you'd need to be checking every second to see them coming and even then they are usually wearing dark colours so seeing them is a challenge. It's nothing like driving a car.

Annagain

Visit site
We get a lot of cyclists as we're far enough out of town to make it a good Sunday route but not so remote that they can't get there. I have to say the vast majority are brilliant -especially those in big groups, the lead cyclist lifts a hand and they all come to a stop behind him. They're very friendly and we always get the jokes back and forth about it being much easier on a horse, but the brakes being better on a bike.

The only ones we seem to have any trouble with are what I call the "cycle to work" lot - those who don't belong to a club and probably don't go on cycling forums etc so are literally uneducated in how to pass us. I think generally cyclists know what it's like to be vulnerable on the road so are more sympathetic

little_critter

Visit site
I tend to find the 'serious' cyclists are good (whether part of a club or not).
The worst ones are the ones who have dragged their bike out of the shed for the first time in 10 years to take the kids round the block. They don't know it's a good idea to say something.
I always try to take the time to say something like "It's really helpful for us riders if you could shout 'hello' or 'bike behind' as you approach so we know you are coming"

cowgirl16

Visit site
No improvement round our way sadly - still a bunch of ignorant bar stewards. The lycra clad weirdos are the worst. The mum's and dads out with the kiddies are good. They fling themselves into a hedge to get out of the way bless them! We've got a motorcycle club that uses the tracks round our way, and they are great. Always stop and switch off their engines to let horses pass. Really nice bunch of guys. We often stop for a chat with them if we meet them out. The lycra club are just as bad with drivers too. I've always pulled over to let them past. Very very seldom get a thank you, nod, kiss my a*#e! Think I'll just drive straight at them from now on. Let them pull over and stop.

Scarlett

Visit site
No improvement round our way sadly - still a bunch of ignorant bar stewards. The lycra clad weirdos are the worst. The mum's and dads out with the kiddies are good. They fling themselves into a hedge to get out of the way bless them! We've got a motorcycle club that uses the tracks round our way, and they are great. Always stop and switch off their engines to let horses pass. Really nice bunch of guys. We often stop for a chat with them if we meet them out. The lycra club are just as bad with drivers too. I've always pulled over to let them past. Very very seldom get a thank you, nod, kiss my a*#e! Think I'll just drive straight at them from now on. Let them pull over and stop.

That's exactly the sort of attitude that causes so many deaths of cyclists on the roads! I have plenty of idiotic horse riders on the roads around me, does that mean I should start driving my car straight at them? Maybe I should beep my horn on the way past too just to make sure someone gets hurt.

I gave up road cycling because it had become too dangerous. Every cyclist you pass is someone's family member, a dad, a daughter, whoever. Do you really think it's acceptable to use the language you have? To them your just another *******ing idiot driver that cant wait 15 seconds to keep them safe on the road. Maybe they don't say thanks because you don't give them a reason? Cyclists, like horse riders, are vulnerable road users, we need to help each other instead of threatening to harm them.

I ride mountain bikes and I can genuinely say that the MTB community on the whole has a good attitude towards horses, we accept that very often we need to share space whether that's on the road or off it. If a cyclist hasn't made you aware of their existence, or passed too close/fast, it's probably because they don't know. Start a conversation with them, yes you'll get the odd knob that wont listen but the majority are just trying to enjoy their hobby and stay alive same as the horse riders.

Sparemare

Visit site
We've an excellent set of bridlepaths near us. It's nigh on impossible to hack on them at weekends now due to the huge number of numpty cyclists who use them. It's taking your life into your own hands to take a horse out.

pennyturner

Visit site
We've an excellent set of bridlepaths near us. It's nigh on impossible to hack on them at weekends now due to the huge number of numpty cyclists who use them. It's taking your life into your own hands to take a horse out.

Sorry, but in a tight spot on a bridleway, when horse meets cyclist, the cyclist is the one in the most danger, unless you're not in control of your horse.

Cyclist is no more a 'numpty' for being on a bridleway than you are a 'numpty' for being on the road. A little 'live and let live' please.

hibshobby

Visit site
Local riders to me have a brilliant relationship with our local cycling club - forged through emails to them " Dear Chairman, at your next meeting could you mention how to pass horse riders ...." and then " Dear Chairman, at your next meeting please could you thank the lovely bunch of riders we met at x o"clock, on x-road last Saturday. Brilliant call-out and exactly how to pass horses". We are both vulnerable groups on the roads and both have to work together and as long as both horse riders and cyclists are open to perhaps new ways of thinking, we can do it for mutual benefit. Cyclists are not numpties, they may just not know how to deal with horses. Horse riders are not God's gift to the roads, there are others out there. Give and take on both sides is absolutely the way to go.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Just this morning I got a mouthful for crossing a road in front of a cyclist - well I looked both ways, crossed and all of a sudden heard someone froth at the mouth... he must have flown around that corner and I didn't hear a single thing.

I said "I don't know if you realise I couldn't hear you, so a bell or a whistle would have been nice rather than hurling abuse at me" he just sped off. Wænker!