Billy makes his novice debut & pics!

only_me

Visit site
Just a short report on Billy’s Novice debut! :)

Picked a nice local event, only 3 and half hours away... :eek: That meant quite an early start for us! Billy was very surprised to be getting fed when he looked as though he was still half asleep, he can look very dopey when he wants to ;)

He warmed up really nicely for the dressage, lovely and supple and his medium trot effortless, he just picked up and sort of glided over the ground. His medium canter was not quite as gliding, although I was quite glad that we were walking when a pony warming up suddenly bolted up the field – I didn’t think Billy could get his tail any more over his back. We promptly moved into the other field, just in case the pony did it again. Billy was feeling in quite a cheeky mood now and took a dislike to bay horse, where he did a very strange buck/kick out to side at it – since billy very very rarely bucks and never kicks out he was obviously feeling very playful :eek:
The test was BE110, which I do not like – it was a very short test to ride and the small 2 loop serpentine to x felt very short and not great for showing off Billy’s balance :eek: He was a bit tense and tight through his back but some bits were nice, he got 8 for his first halt on centre line, which I’m very pleased about, but he broke in the extended walk which cost us unfortunately. Ended up with 36.5, leaving us 7th after dressage.

DSCN1612.jpg

DSCN1607.jpg

Next up was the showjumping, which is my biggest weakness as I can panic when seeing long lines of fences, and it dosen’t help that at most novices there is a double and a treble! But, apart from seeing a COMPLETE miss at the triple bar which we brought down most of, he jumped really well, and gained confidence as he went around! So just the very very well deserved 4 faults. I’m sure if Billy wasn’t so honest and a real trier a normal horse would have stopped!!
Ps. The jump is actually a full up 1.10. It only looks smaller because it is on a hill, and I am riding the Gigantic billy :p
DSCN1621.jpg

The cross country was really interesting, lots of different fences that Billy and I haven’t come across before! He was very naughty/cheeky in the warm up, he was being quite strong and bold, I think he knows what to expect now after showjumping :p Flew the flowerbed, saw a great shot to the second fence, the hogsback, galloped to the cottage and over, took a flyer at the parallel and then onto the first question, 2 logs on a hill with 1 stride between, sharp downhill to narrowish log. Billy was ace here, he read the question, worked out what he had to do and jumped it like he had been doing it all his life! Next up was the owl hole going into the woods, which I wasn’t sure how he would react to, but I don’t think Billy even registered there was a top on it :eek:
Through woods to a step up to skinny, which took him a bit by surprise but again, he read it and then worked out what he had to do. Over the zig-zag trakener, and towards the water. Jumped the loop log, down the step and then cantered through to jump the log on the way out. Saw perfect stride to the flowerbed and we flew over that, turned right up a steep hill to jump log on the top 3 strides to a brush skinny, which he had locked onto on the landing stride :)

Next up was the bed/table, then jumped a log going up the hill then quick steep step down which he read and understood, short gallop to the next water where he jumped the skinny in fab, through the water up the step and over the palisade like a pro! Jumped through the coffin really nicely and then perfect shot to the last and he was brill! Had just under 5 time penalties but not concerned about that as the aim was to jump well xc, which he did :D
Ended up 11th, which wasn’t too bad for a first timer ;) Very pleased with him, it never felt like a step too far, Billy relished the extra questions and although he was reading the fences, it was always a thought of how to jump, rather than how to avoid! So, so pleased with him :)

DSCN1643.jpg

Please ignore my woeful leg position!! Work in progress, as always :eek:

http://www.mdpix.ie/galleries.asp?Month=5&Year=2012&ShowID=208#
Go to 2nd row from bottom and Bill is the middle one :)

And great celebrations as today was my final university exam and provided I pass (fingers crossed) I will be fully qualified :D Thanks for reading, offer of bulmers and half an éclair up for grabs ;)

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Well done :D He's come on so well, you must be so pleased :)
He makes those jumps look so small and easy - even though they're probably absolutely huge - think I need to get Wibs some stilts so that the fences look smaller on approach!

Hornby

Visit site
Well done, he has come on so much from a cautious baby, you should be very pleased. :D

CaroG21

Visit site
Excellent result :D He obviously finds this eventing lark far too easy :p Must say, he looks even more enormous than last season! Where are you off to next (can't believe I haven't been to watch a single event this season :/)?

only_me

Visit site
Well done Billy! He is such a fab honest horse!
Thank you, am very lucky!

what a great result! onwards and upwards now :D
Thank you :)

What a debut! Well done :)
Thanks L_E :)

Fantastic result. Three cheers from your fan club here! :)
lol thanks measles :D

Well done :D He's come on so well, you must be so pleased :)
He makes those jumps look so small and easy - even though they're probably absolutely huge - think I need to get Wibs some stilts so that the fences look smaller on approach!
Am very pleased with him, he is always trying which makes it much easier :)
Although the fences look smaller, the ground is also further away :p

Well done, he has come on so much from a cautious baby, you should be very pleased. :D

Excellent result :D He obviously finds this eventing lark far too easy :p Must say, he looks even more enormous than last season! Where are you off to next (can't believe I haven't been to watch a single event this season :/)?

Thanks caro :D Don't know about that, but he certainly enjoys his xc! Would probably like to just do xc ;) Funny you say that he looks bigger, a lot of people have said that but when measured is only 1/2 inch bigger than when I bought him! He has started to fill out and look like a "proper horse" now as well :) Where have you been hiding? We are hopefully off to boden, if everything is ok :)

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Sounds like a great day, well done both you and Billy :) He looks so much more mature than last year aswell. Lovely piccys, whens the next outing?

NR99

Visit site
You are just going to have to take him all the way to 4*, just so you can get a picture of him jumping where the fence looks normal sized ;) :D

Second this, what a fab little (big) man he is! Best of all, you now have the whole summer to go out and play :D

Lyssatra

Visit site
Gorgeous photos - although you know I love Billy - he is just so fantastic!
The prof photo is fab also, hope you purchased a copy as that is calling out for a frame!

Best of luck at Boden!

only_me

Visit site
You are just going to have to take him all the way to 4*, just so you can get a picture of him jumping where the fence looks normal sized ;) :D

He is gorgeous, as always! Hope our N debut goes as well :D

Lol thanks KH :) Lets just get to 1* first :p I'm sure you and Mally will have a fantastic first run!

Wow he looks amazing really really filled out!!
Thanks amage, he is twice the horse he was in winter!

Sounds like a great day, well done both you and Billy :) He looks so much more mature than last year aswell. Lovely piccys, whens the next outing?
Thanks Nicole :) How are you getting on? Hopefully next event will be boden :)

Second this, what a fab little (big) man he is! Best of all, you now have the whole summer to go out and play :D
Thank you, now have indefinate time to go and play ;)

Welll done! He makes those jumps look tiny. He's really filled out as well hasn't he?
He has, thanks to doctor green as well :D

Wow, what a brilliant debut at Novice! Fantastic, well done team Billy!!! :D

Thank you :D
Oh well done C and B!!!! :D:D
Thanks R :D

only_me

Visit site
Well done to both of you - looking good :)
he is a super star what a GREAT Novice debut! now to win th next one ;) :)
Thanks Jules :D I doubt it as next time we will probably have lots of poles in the jumping :rolleyes:

Aw, lovely. Well done as well. He's a very smart looking horse. x

super result, well done :)
thanks PS :)

Gorgeous photos - although you know I love Billy - he is just so fantastic!
The prof photo is fab also, hope you purchased a copy as that is calling out for a frame!

Best of luck at Boden!

Lol thanks Lyssatra :)

only_me

Visit site
Fab result :) Well done to you and Billy, that is a fantastic Novice debut!!
Thank you :D

Such a wonderful horse, always like reading your updates about him.

Well done!

That is brilliant!!! He's amazing and so are you! You've done a fab job :D.
He makes it very easy! Thank you :)
fab report - huge well done!! :D he looks lovely, great photos! (except the one that decapitates him a bit ;) haha)
Lol thanks :)