Billy's on a post-Badminton high, Jam update & a new arrival!

lex2501

Visit site
Billy had a couple of quiet weeks after Badminton but he soon got bored and let me know that he was ready to get cracking again which was pretty handy that we still needed a few more points to achieve a BD Summer Regionals qualification before the end of May, and I am also really keen to get back to Badminton next year to set the record straight so we need to try and get some RFs in the bag before July...

So BD first and we went to Sparsholt to have a crack at 2 prelim qualifier classes. The standard is always very high at Sparsholt and I arrived to see some really quality horses in the warm up so I decided not to get too concerned about the placing but to focus on not giving away silly marks and trying to get the all-important points. I had 15 points already, so just needed 4 to get the qualification.

Billy has been totally and utterly spoilt by our fantastic sponsor Horseware so he was looking utterly stunning in his new kit, ready and waiting to get cracking :)

10378527_692537134127397_5364909131084924163_n.jpg

First up was Prelim 19 – he was doing such a lovely test that I completely missed out the walk work and went straight into canter after my first trot circle – oops! He finished a really smart test and the judge opened her window to say that she could tell I was enjoying it so much that she couldn’t blame me for going wrong! I was so cross with myself and hoped it wouldn’t be too costly.

The next test was Prelim 17 in the indoor school, and Billy decided that the beams of sunlight required jumping as we trotted around the edge and I couldn’t help but laugh at him for being so daft!:rolleyes: Thankfully he held it together during and performed a very solid test with only one cheeky spook.

My eyes nearly fell out of my head when I went to the scoreboard to see that he had won the first test on an enormous 75% even with the mistake, and was over 6% ahead of the horse in second! Hoorah, we had achieved our mission of qualifying! I felt totally spoilt when I saw that he had also won the second test on 70.87% - what a hero!! So 14 points and £40 prize money so a very successful day indeed :D And it was great to have Billy back on winning form!

10397842_692775627436881_3575987759448818690_n.jpg

1979637_694749123906198_6251219635186049008_n.jpg

Our first event after Badminton was the BE90 at Ascott Under Wychwood. It is a stunning event but a pretty long trip in the lorry for us. Given that I don’t have long to try and get some Regional Final qualifications for the second half of the season I decided that I had better go so we set off up the A34 in glorious sunshine to arrive at the brilliantly organised event, which has superb going given the torrential rain they had suffered just days before.

I arrived in the dressage warm up where the steward told me I had 5 horses to go and Billy usually only needs 20 minutes so I wondered over and watched a few show jump. I returned to find that I only had 1 and a half horses to go before me so picked up the contact to an utterly WILD Billy! :eek: He was plunging in the canter so I cantered round and round and round, and round a bit more until he finally started cantering politely but he was still very lit up and hot so I was needing to sit very quietly. I headed over and didn’t dare give him a canter around the edge of the arena as my rationale was that I need to at least try and get some reasonable marks for the trot work before setting him off!! I had to sit very very quietly through the test but luckily he held it together, although it felt on edge and I hadn’t been able to ask for that extra bit of sparkle. I was a bit disappointed as my immediate reaction was that the score would never be good enough to get a RF qualification from, but I couldn’t help but laugh at him – he is such a goof! And Badminton had clearly gone to his head – what a diva!! :eek:

I was so glad to have entered the BE90 as it meant I could stay relaxed about the jumping phases and just try to enjoy it. The show jumping warm up was the only bit of ground that had suffered, and Billy actually put in a stop to a pretty tall upright which I had seen a bold stride to. With hindsight this was actually a really useful shake up for us as he got his botty smacked, and I started to ride him properly. We went into the arena and I told myself to allow him forward but sit quietly and he jumped clear! Hoorah! We had a couple of messy jumps, but it was a confident round and both of us came out smiling. Smiles turned to grins when they called out my dressage score of 26!!!

Billy has always been pretty tricky in the XC warm up / startbox so my lovely Dad came down with me as he sees himself as a bit of a Monty Roberts ;) I can only assume that the atmosphere at Badminton has gone to Billy’s head as he was “nucking futs” and the worst he has ever been. He is usually fine with someone on the ground but Dad couldn’t get anywhere near him as he was exploding in such a big way. :eek: I have to admit to being pretty terrified as he nearly unseated me multiple times. I can’t mill near the start box so it was pretty annoying when someone nipped in front of me as he gets worse and worse the longer we are down there. Thankfully I had a very considerate starter, and best of all two of the kindest fellow competitors I have ever come across. A lovely girl who I think was Christelle Durrant (if anyone knows her please pass on my thanks!!) took it upon herself to help me in any way she could, and her and her lovely boy scooped us up and another rider went on the other side and they literally herded me into the box. She was actually in the startbox with me when I set off! How exceptionally kind – I really don’t think I would have got in without the help of them.

He bolted out of the box and over fence 1 so I had a real battle on my hands to get him to concentrate on the fences as 90 doesn’t really back him off. We had a few messy jumps and the handbrake was firmly kept on most of the way. He made it feel easy for a clear round but I headed back to the lorry with no clue as to whether they might have eliminated me for missing 2 countdowns at the start, or whether we would have racked up time penalties for having kept a lid on him.

Whilst washing him off they called out over the tannoy that we were provisional winners of the section which was thrilling, however we were cautious not to get too excited until it was confirmed on the scoreboard. Cue enormous smiles all round when the scoreboard showed that we were 2 seconds over the time which was good enough for the win! What was even more thrilling was that we had somehow lead from start to finish :D

I now have the biggest thanks to make to all of the organisers and sponsors of Ascott Under Wychwood. The prizes were absolutely phenomenal - £137 prize money, £100 Devoucoux voucher, a Devoucoux numnah, and a gorgeous rosette and sash! It was so lovely to have a really well attended and friendly prize giving which was definitely one of the highlights of my eventing career to date so a massive thank you and I will be returning again! :D

"Did I do good Mum?"
10307215_695613257153118_5287712081816806471_n.jpg

10345731_695613273819783_560480185129380370_n.jpg

tbc....

lex2501

Visit site
Meanwhile little Jammie has made a full recovery from the horrific injury to her side and it is absolutely wonderful to be back on her. I had missed riding her so much, but it is funny how bad things can often happen for a good reason as the break has done her the world of good and she is looking and feeling magnificent! I have been taking her to jump with my trainer Dan Jocelyn and I finally let him have a sit on her a couple of weeks ago and I very nearly didn’t get her back  She looked SO classy and he really clicked with her so it was lovely to watch, and even better to hear him say he could happily ride her all day long! We are very much taking our time with her as I really believe she has got all of the ingredients to be a top class horse. Which leads me to my slight dilemma … I absolutely adore her, we are best friends and people often comment on how she watches me around the yard and is always looking for where I am. I love riding her, and I love doing everything with her. However Badminton also left me with the ambition of being an owner one day and it has suddenly occurred to me that I might just have the opportunity now with my little reject racer who cost peanuts but has absolutely blossomed over the past year. I am away with work a fair amount so she will be going to boarding school with him for the odd week here and there, and I have decided that I will ask Dan to do her first event as I think it’s really important to give her the best experience possible and he will absolutely fill her with confidence, whilst I may slightly doubt my ability and let her pick up on my nerves. I guess I will wait and see how she goes to make a decision on where we go from there. But either way, she is with me for life but whether I am the owner or rider is yet to be decided…

A few pictures to show how wonderful she is looking…
10372572_694268427287601_337751828208266833_n.jpg

10330229_694268303954280_5704989918968096938_n.jpg

10304711_692747360773041_2423155304540288206_n.jpg

10288713_692747317439712_7794560704929790756_n.jpg

10370888_692747387439705_4373906750094360221_n.jpg

You can see how amazing her wound is looking in this one:
10402688_692747480773029_997843196930785076_n.jpg
I have kept in touch with the lady I got Jam from, and have used my eventing network to help her find homes for quite a few ex racers now so she always gives me first refusal on any she gets in which is pretty dangerous!! I was bound to buckle sooner or later so when she sent me a photo of a 3 year old mare who is the absolute spitting image of Jammie I couldn’t possibly refuse! She has been with me for a week and I am letting her enjoy a lovely relaxing holiday in the field filling her face, and bringing her in for fuss and love. When I think she is ready she will start some long reining, lunging and loose jumping before getting her quietly going with a view to advertising her in a few months as a really lovely project for someone. She is very classy, and a really lovely little person so I can’t guarantee she will be going anywhere… Jam was meant to be sold afterall! Her racing name is Bikini Club so after a lot of deliberation we decided to call her Beanie :D She is known as Teeny Beanie at the moment as she has a lot of filling out to do :)

Here are some piccies – she’s rather cute isn’t she!

1466167_692124274168683_5794712861440841900_n.jpg

1964980_692746334106477_6296845488290562981_n.jpg

Trying her:
10264817_692746467439797_2135465694521864864_n.jpg

At home after a week of eating and some TLC!
10378276_695982133782897_8517644776067280484_n.jpg

almostthere

Visit site
ahh..lovely report as always...Billy is such a dude and I do love AuW despite the long drive. And welcome to the owner's club...:)

Lolo

Visit site
You and Billy are on fire! Those are insane results, well done :)

Jam and Beanie are so lovely. I love pocket rocket TBs and they are beautiful. Beanie has a proper pretty pony face- Smokes has one too and when he flutters his eyelashes he is hard to say no to :D

3Beasties

Visit site
Brilliant report, really enjoyed that! Well done on such a great result :D I'm pleased to see the Jam has made such a good recovery, she sounds like a very exciting prospect for the future! New one looks lovely too :)

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
Fantastic results, very well done you!! And how kind of the other riders to herd you in, that's really lovely :)

humblepie

Visit site
Super results and lovely prizes. Like all your horses and the new one looks really nice. I have gone a bit down the owner's club this year and it is fairly addictive. i still like doing the polishing but enjoy watching the horse being ridden.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Well done on the results, hopefully Billy will be better at controlling himself at future XC starts. Jam looks great, not surprised she's got an admirer. Beanie is a very cute little horse too - I can see why you fell for her.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
OMG those are some amazing results!!!!

I LOVE the new one, wish I could afford another as she's just beautiful!

x x

montanna

Visit site
Feeling a little bit green around the gills reading this (in a good way!!), absolutely love reading your reports - very jealous of your lovely Horseware kit and prizes from ALW! You must be soooooo proud of Billy, those dressage results are insane, even with the little blip. Not bad for an upside down jelly bean huh! Brilliant result at AUW too, you must be so so chuffed.

Thrilled for you, what a cracking start for your Badminton campaign take 2. He is a credit to all your hard work, can't think of anyone who deserves success more. :) :)

Twiglet

Visit site
Totes emosh at that report!

Billy is a super star....he obviously doesn't want to be outdone by Jam. Loving the new one too. Fun times!

PorkChop

Visit site
Whoop Whoop!

Brilliant results - you are on a roll - and you deserve it.

Absolutely love the new girlie, really good luck this summer with them all :)

Javabb94

Visit site
Saw your results on Twitter / #TE, but will say again absolutely fantastic results!! Billy really is a star!! Your prize is awesome from AuW!! But then billy is an awesome horse ;)

Bills

Visit site
Love your reports as always, massive well done on the results and Billy is super!

Jammie and Beanie are just stunning too! :)

lex2501

Visit site
What an amazing set of results, well done!
Thank you! I'm so proud of him - he's got the biggest heart and really deserves this purple patch :)

ahh..lovely report as always...Billy is such a dude and I do love AuW despite the long drive. And welcome to the owner's club...:)
:) Thank you! I think we are going to aim for the unaffiliated there for Jam's debut! Little monkey may decide she is too good for me after having an olympic rider take her round though ;)

You and Billy are on fire! Those are insane results, well done :)
Jam and Beanie are so lovely. I love pocket rocket TBs and they are beautiful. Beanie has a proper pretty pony face- Smokes has one too and when he flutters his eyelashes he is hard to say no to :D
Thank you so much! It's funny because I threw absolutely everything at Badminton and the wheels fell off, yet I've taken a really relaxed approach recently and the red rosettes seem to be flooding in - typical hey!
She's such a cutie isn't she! Total baby face, and I can't walk through her field without stopping for a cuddle :)

Brilliant report, really enjoyed that! Well done on such a great result :D I'm pleased to see the Jam has made such a good recovery, she sounds like a very exciting prospect for the future! New one looks lovely too :)
Thank you! It's such a relief to have my Jammie back in tact! It was such a horrible ordeal.

Fantastic results, very well done you!! And how kind of the other riders to herd you in, that's really lovely :)
They were honestly amazing - I really can't thank them enough and I really hope they come across this post and see how grateful I am. Our sport is full of wonderful people :)

Cor what a great result and FAB prizes!
I know! I feel totally and utterly spoilt! The win alone was just fabulous but those prizes are out of this world! I can't decide what to spend my voucher on though!!

Super results and lovely prizes. Like all your horses and the new one looks really nice. I have gone a bit down the owner's club this year and it is fairly addictive. i still like doing the polishing but enjoy watching the horse being ridden.
I have a feeling once Dan has done one event then that will be it! He even gave me a tour of his farm last time ... pretty sure he wanted to convince me she should move in ;-) Tokyo 2020 here we come!
Thank you!

Well done on the results, hopefully Billy will be better at controlling himself at future XC starts. Jam looks great, not surprised she's got an admirer. Beanie is a very cute little horse too - I can see why you fell for her.
He's such a pickle but I can't get cross with him! I can feel his heart pounding through the saddle, and he absolutely LOVES his XC so I really think he just struggles to cope with his adrenaline and nervous anticipation. My next thought is to cut out the warm up all together. I will have a canter elsewhere (lorry park or dressage warm up) and get a helper to put my number down and let me know when I can head down with a view of going straight into the box! Cheeky monkey :)

lex2501

Visit site
I saw the results on facebook - WOW! Seriously impressive. Loving the new lass too :)
:) Thank you!! Billy is a wise chap and I think he knew he had to remind everyone what a hero he is after Badminton's fiasco!!

OMG those are some amazing results!!!!
I LOVE the new one, wish I could afford another as she's just beautiful!
x x
She's beautiful isn't she! I have a feeling she is going to grow into a seriously impressive little lady! She moves beautifully too so I hope I can magic an owner up somehow....

Lex, you always make me blub. Huge congratulations on staying on, staying in and winning! Love Billy. Love Jammie. And now, well, Beanie's not too bad, either. :)
Oh bless you! Thank you so much! Billy has that effect - I often get overwhelmed by how wonderfully generous he is and I blub into his mane an awful lot :)

Feeling a little bit green around the gills reading this (in a good way!!), absolutely love reading your reports - very jealous of your lovely Horseware kit and prizes from ALW! You must be soooooo proud of Billy, those dressage results are insane, even with the little blip. Not bad for an upside down jelly bean huh! Brilliant result at AUW too, you must be so so chuffed.
Thrilled for you, what a cracking start for your Badminton campaign take 2. He is a credit to all your hard work, can't think of anyone who deserves success more. :) :)
Oh gosh - my turn to blub now! What a lovely thing to say - thank you so much! He is the most generous, genuine upside jelly bean in the whole world and I love him more than I can possibly even begin to put in words! I feel incredibly lucky - I must have done something rather nice in a former life to deserve him!

Totes emosh at that report!
Billy is a super star....he obviously doesn't want to be outdone by Jam. Loving the new one too. Fun times!
:) :) He is my hero!! and I think you are right, he likes to keep the little whipper snappers on their toes ;) Very exciting times ahead!!

Whoop Whoop!
Brilliant results - you are on a roll - and you deserve it.
Absolutely love the new girlie, really good luck this summer with them all :)
Ahh thank you! I promise to keep you all posted! Lots of exciting times ahead :)

Saw your results on Twitter / #TE, but will say again absolutely fantastic results!! Billy really is a star!! Your prize is awesome from AuW!! But then billy is an awesome horse ;)
Thank you!! Yes, awesome prizes to match an awesome horse! although he is a little disappointed that Devoucoux don't supply carrots....

Love your reports as always, massive well done on the results and Billy is super!
Jammie and Beanie are just stunning too! :)
Thank you! I shall keep writing them - it's so nice to know that people enjoy hearing about our adventures!

Really enjoyed your report and huge well done!!
:)Thank you meesha!

Lollysmum

Visit site
Well done, fab result! We were there on Saturday afternoon supporting a friend and I recognised your name as you started XC. My husband was taking photos and took some smashing ones of you coming through the water. He is uploading an album on his FB page as I type, so please have a look. He isn't a pro, purely snaps away at events for his own pleasure, so please feel free to use them - all he asks is that you credit him if you do. The page is Paul Ruffle Photography. Hope you like them :)

lex2501

Visit site
Well done, fab result! We were there on Saturday afternoon supporting a friend and I recognised your name as you started XC. My husband was taking photos and took some smashing ones of you coming through the water. He is uploading an album on his FB page as I type, so please have a look. He isn't a pro, purely snaps away at events for his own pleasure, so please feel free to use them - all he asks is that you credit him if you do. The page is Paul Ruffle Photography. Hope you like them :)
Gosh, THANK YOU! They are stunning!!! Really such a lovely treat as the pros ones weren't great but it's always nice to have a momento of a great day :) Your husband is very talented! Would he be happy for me to pop them on here too? I'm sure HHO would love to see his work?

EveningStar

Visit site
Go Billy! He's obviously feeling on top of the world after he's been round Badders :p
I absolutely love Jammie, she is just stunning and she sounds like an absolute star. Beanie is super cute, I bet you'll have fun with her. You have fantastic taste in horses - I would happily take home *cough* steal... any of your lot :p

Nicnac

Visit site
Will say well done once again after TE/twitter etc! He is such a little quirky star. Prizes are amazing too. Did anyone notice on dressage results that someone scored 97.5% but only came 4th?!?!

Jam has changed so much over the past few months and Right Way Up Jelly Bean has put weight on. All credit to you.

I really admired DJ's riding at Farley on Saturday. Him and Chris Burton stood out for me (and a cute NZ guy called Jesse Campbell although twas more my daughter admiring him!!)

Hopefully you and NH will get Saturday times for Rackham and we can have a brownie party!

lex2501

Visit site
Wow that's all fantastic. What a lovely positive post :)
Thank you! Things are certainly looking up at the moment, so i'm savouring every moment until the next inevitable low... I event afterall so it's bound to come around at some point!

Go Billy! He's obviously feeling on top of the world after he's been round Badders :p
I absolutely love Jammie, she is just stunning and she sounds like an absolute star. Beanie is super cute, I bet you'll have fun with her. You have fantastic taste in horses - I would happily take home *cough* steal... any of your lot :p
:) Thank you - I am very lucky indeed, and super proud of my lovely horses. I'm just so lucky that they are nice people to have around, so their looks is just a bonus!

Will say well done once again after TE/twitter etc! He is such a little quirky star. Prizes are amazing too. Did anyone notice on dressage results that someone scored 97.5% but only came 4th?!?!
Jam has changed so much over the past few months and Right Way Up Jelly Bean has put weight on. All credit to you.
I really admired DJ's riding at Farley on Saturday. Him and Chris Burton stood out for me (and a cute NZ guy called Jesse Campbell although twas more my daughter admiring him!!)
Hopefully you and NH will get Saturday times for Rackham and we can have a brownie party!
Haha yes I think that must have been a typo on the results as I didn't spot Valegro in the warm up ;) Ahh that would be fab if we get drawn on Saturday for Rackham in that case - fingers crossed as it would be lovely to meet you and your daughter.
Glad you thought highly of Dan's rider - I often get to watch him jump his horses when I go over with mine and I'm in awe of how natural and soft it all looks. Nothing is done by force and the horses love it!

MiaBella

Visit site
Brilliant results with Billy, sounds like he is on flying form! Jam looks fab too and the new one is VERY nice!

As for being an owner, I think its great fun, and if the horse has potential and you can afford it then its a great way to be involved and support the good riders. Dan is lovely, has a super team and is a very talented and sympathetic rider.

_GG_

Visit site
My favourite thread of the week so far. :)

Don't doubt yourself with Jammie....give yourself some credit...you deserve it and be the owner/rider that you dream of.

Love Beanie....what a powerhouse she has in her bum :) xx

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
Go Billy! You two are on fire at the moment :) Absolutely brilliant results and so deserved after all your hard work.

I some how have managed to completly miss all the Jam updates since the first one! :O So sorry to hear she had a major injury, very glad to see it has healed up so well and not affected her at all. I thought she was really nice when you got her and she has bloomed into a really smart horse. Looking forward to hearing more about her (assuming I dont completly miss the posts!)

Beanie looks promising too :)