BIT ADVICE FOR 4 year old mare

Shelley_b

New User
Visit site
Hi all I have a 4 year old mare I’m currently rebreaking and producing.
I have her in a single linked snaffle and have been told it can put too much pressure and can have the “nutcracker” effect on her tongue.
She’s very green so steering has to be exaggerate.
Not typically strong but is a Welsh D so can go when she wants!
She has an incident with a chifney and bruised her mouth months ago but is still wary and sensitive in the mouth.
Was thinking a hanging cheek with double link?
Any suggestions please
Thank you

Laurac13

Visit site
Yes some horses don’t like the nut cracker action of a single joined snaffle. I like hanging cheeks double jointed bits with the lozenge in the middle but also found a full cheek with a lozenge in the middle very helpfull with baby steering. Good luck with her

Griffin

Visit site
I say it to any bitting query but if there is one in your are, get a bit expert out. You can try several bits in a couple of hours and in the long run save yourself money. Most importantly, you will have a horse who is happy in their bit and bridle which will make schooling so much more positive for both of you.

I have used Horse Bit Fit but I am sure there are others out there.

Wheels

Visit site
All single and double jointed snaffles have a nutcracker action

some horses prefer double joints, some single joints. My own horse has a very small mouth and even the double jointed bits with small lozenges have the joints themselves sitting on his bars so he prefers a single joint

there is no harm trying a few different bits and seeing what your horse prefers OP but single joints are not the devil as some people would have you believe