Bit Advice for my horse needed for SJ/XC

Javabb94

Visit site
I asked In my SJ report but didnt get any responses so here goes!

I currently compete my 15.2hh TBxApp in a neue Schulz trans -angled lozenge full cheek

Whilst he is not strong during flatwork in this (not as soft as could be) jumping is a different story!!

He tends to only compete SJ and I struggle as he lowers his head and sort of sets his neck and pulls me forwards trying to go round at his own speed - we lack any adjustability in our canter

This makes for our rounds being slightly too fast and unbalanced which has been resulting in a few poles down recently -

It's difficult to explain but it's not like he is being strong trying to go faster and faster - more he pulls me down onto his forehand and is heavy in front

I would also like to have a go at XC (he lacks confidence and I have been slowly trying to build this up he is 15 so not sure how likely we will ever do a HT but you never know)

I was thinking of trying a Kimblewick? Any advice on whether its worth a try? Or anything else?
Would the straight bar with a port be any good (think he has quite fleshy tongue)
Only other bits I have are various snaffles e.g hanging cheek happy mouth or loose ring French link

loopiesteff

Visit site
I don't know much about bits in general, but a friend of mine was having similar issues to yours, and she tried a tom thumb? Jumps a hell of lot nicer now! But as I said, I don't know much about bits, and not sure exactly what the tom thumb is like!

Bernster

Visit site
Agree with wench, you could try the NS universal as think that has the same mouthpiece, but more poll pressure. You can use on the snaffle rein, or the lower one for a stronger bit. You can have a leather curb strap on the top ring, as I found out this weekend (or a flash, for a cheap DIY version).

Sorry, also meant to add, if he's head down, have a look at the NS elevator and see what the blurb says for that?

Javabb94

Visit site
I don't know much about bits in general, but a friend of mine was having similar issues to yours, and she tried a tom thumb? Jumps a hell of lot nicer now! But as I said, I don't know much about bits, and not sure exactly what the tom thumb is like!
Thanks will have a read up on it :)

NS universal?

Thanks - hadn't thought about that! Think I would be able to borrow on to try as well :)

Agree with wench, you could try the NS universal as think that has the same mouthpiece, but more poll pressure. You can use on the snaffle rein, or the lower one for a stronger bit. You can have a leather curb strap on the top ring, as I found out this weekend (or a flash, for a cheap DIY version).

Sorry, also meant to add, if he's head down, have a look at the NS elevator and see what the blurb says for that?

The NS elevator sounds good - he does need that "lift" to keep the balance and stop him running to fences on the forehand - if he came onto his hocks more I think he would jump better, my aim is a 110cm unaff before end of the year but whilst he is not balanced/running on I'm not giving it a go- if I can sort his quirks in classes we are both comfortable with then I think it would make the step up a whole lot easier as he definitely has the scope for it!

Javabb94

Visit site
Waterford or a scrob snaffle if you want to stick with a snaffle, both cheap options to try as well.

Thanks - he is quite a sensitive soul so not sure how he would like a Waterford? He tends to go best with a mouthpiece with a roller or link in the middle