Bit Advice Needed....for a Not so Young 'Baby'!

JAK

Visit site
Sorry if I've asked this already (I think I am going a bit dippy in my old age! LOL) but not sure what would be best!

Middle daughter is helping break in a 9 year old Welsh x who-knows-what (long story but nobody has ever stayed on him long enough so far to call him 'backed'!) & despite being 14.2hh, he has a tiny mouth (LBO's 4" french-link fits him perfectly!)

Have managed to find a hanging-cheek french-link in his size so far but do you think this would be 'too much' for him to cope with initially?
I have a spare 4" eggbutt jointed snaffle I think, would this be better for him?

He is a bit 'wild' & a real handful & so far MD has sat on him & been led around (which is a darn site further than anyone else has got! LOL) but although he has been wearing a bridle (with LBO's bit), there has been no rein contact yet, she's just held onto the saddle & a chunk of mane, in case he 'explodes'!

What do you lot think?

rach1984horse

Visit site
I would stick with the french link or the eggbutt just now. Something nice and gentle. If MD finds that once she starts taking up a contact and asking him to work properly she needs a bit of a stronger bit might try the hanging one. Would think it would try with the snaffle first though and see what he says...

JAK

Visit site
That's what I thought HG!
laugh.gif

I bought the french-link filet baucher on spec, so I'll hang on to it I reckon & perhaps try him in the plain jointed eggbutt for now!
It's hard to know what to do when he's so old but doesn't know anything!

Still haven't decided if I'm gong to allow MD to 'ride' him with no-one hanging onto him, as he really is a total firecracker & his mother's a lunatic!
shocked.gif

Will see how it goes!
smile.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We start ours in straight hard rubber snaffles, and part of their eductaion before anyone gets on whilst long reining is to ensure they have had a hard pull on their mouths at some stage. not a jab, as strong contact, as it's vital they understand this may happen when being ridden, such as a spook causing them to shoot forward.
Really this pony should have been long reined a lot before your daughter attempts to do anything with it, and a neck strap not a hunk of mane is vital for her security (if it leaps she pulls back on the strap, sticks her feet well forward and keeps her balance that way) With practice she will learn to hold the strap as well as the reins for security but use it if needed.
Bit wise any mild bit is fine, we don't like our horses playing with the bit as it hinders schooling later on, foaming is good but chomping isn't and the bits with keys etc are inclined to make them chew..
I'd use anything he seems happy with, the problem is going to be staying on not hurting his mouth!

Safina

Visit site
Can you get into his mouth for a good feel? I'd only make the "what bit" decision after I had checked the fleshyness of his tounge/height of palette etc.

That said, I'd start with the mildest bit possible and make sure that MD has her hat done up properly, is wearing a back protector and knows where the neck strap is!!!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Chancer is wearing a full cheek french link cyprium snaffle which he seems to really like. That said he is only long reining rather than riding.

Nice gentle bit, full cheek helps with the steering and the high copper content makes him have a nice wet mouth.

L

lilym

long rein him first, to get him used to having a contact on his mouth, then something like a french link, you'll just have to play and see what he likes.

Tempest

Visit site
I'd endorse what Henryhorn said, do a lot of groundwork longreining before you daughter gets on him and also keep him on longreins when first under saddle. She shouldn't be sitting on board hanging on to a saddle in case he explodes! Rather the horse should be going well at all paces and directions under longreins and being absolutely biddable BEFORE he's sat on.

My preference for starting horses is to use a thick metal or rubber straight snaffle rather than jointed.

Once you have him going well under saddle, if your daughter is very light weight and has nice light hands, then I might suggest something like a mullen kimblewick to help her if and when she needs brakes.