Bit Advice please

Syrah

Visit site
I'm thinking of changing my mares bit or maybe not depending on the advice here.

She's in a single jointed D ring copper roller which the dealer I bought her from had her in. She goes well in it, we do have a few brakes issues initially and she does a great impression of a giraffe for a few seconds when you first get on. The brakes are a schooling issue which we'll work on. The giraffe impression...... I'm gentle with my hands but am unsure if it's a bit thing.

The reason I'm wanting to change is the single joint. I'm not keen on the thought of the nutcracker action of the single joint.

She does salivate well in the one she's in and keeps a reasonable outline.

Thanks in advance :)

Indigo Moose

Visit site
I'd try her in a Neue Schule Trans Angled Lozenge (whatever cheeks you want). I've used these on a few horses, and they've all changed pretty much instantly as soon as they were in them.

I had the pleasure of meeting the founder of Neue Schule a few weeks ago when she lectured at my college, and she was a really lovely and helpful. I definitely recommend giving the NS helpline a call, you'll get to speak to her yourself and she has a wealth of knowledge.

tigerlily12345

Visit site
i love the french link personally.. very gentle.. although not great for brakes if she needs them.. the horse bit shop is great for trying them out before you buy!

Hal1k1

Visit site
I totally agree the NS bits are brilliant. I bought then loose ring snaffle with lozenge first but since he has become fit I have moved up to a universal snaffle. For flatwork I use the snaffle ring for jumping or outings I have to use the snaffle and bottom ring with pelham roundings. I also tried it with the reins just in the bottom ring but I felt it was too harsh.

Syrah

Visit site
Thanks both :)

I've got an NS full cheek fulmer with trans lozenge, I'll try that with her.

I don't think the french link would do as we do need 'some' brakes at the moment but nothing drastic, just that added extra whilst schooling is ongoing.

I was also looking at the Myler triple mullen barrel, anyone use this?

Syrah

Visit site
I totally agree the NS bits are brilliant. I bought then loose ring snaffle with lozenge first but since he has become fit I have moved up to a universal snaffle. For flatwork I use the snaffle ring for jumping or outings I have to use the snaffle and bottom ring with pelham roundings. I also tried it with the reins just in the bottom ring but I felt it was too harsh.

Thanks, will have a look at that one too. I like the option to swap if something stronger is needed whilst out and about.

bj666

Visit site
Speak to bit banks , speak to as many different ones as you can , NS , Myler etc etc , find out how they work and what they do , try before you buy , there are so many things to take into consideration , not only the horse and what you are asking it to do but you as well . Bit Banks and your instructor .

Syrah

Visit site
Speak to bit banks , speak to as many different ones as you can , NS , Myler etc etc , find out how they work and what they do , try before you buy , there are so many things to take into consideration , not only the horse and what you are asking it to do but you as well . Bit Banks and your instructor .

Will do :) Instructor is coming on Tuesday so I'll speak to her then and the bit bank tomorrow.