Bit advice/suggestions please

Lexi_

Visit site
My share horse is currently ridden in a plain eggbutt snaffle. In the school and out hacking (mainly roadwork), he's absolutely fine with this and goes really nicely in it. When riding him around the fields, not so much! He gets very excited and strong, head up in the air and it's difficult to stop or slow down from the top gear he would prefer to put himself in. It's especially hard when we're riding with his owner on her other horse as the two boys start to race each other.

Now I know part of this is our fault for doing fast work in the fields - he associates going on them with having a jolly now - and I'm doing my best to show him that yes, we can walk and trot around them without going mad. The boringification of field work will continue, never fear.

We're hoping (once we can arrange transport) to take them out to some farm rides and try a spot of cross-country jumping. We don't want to dive straight down the route of overbitting him but equally I don't want to get out there and discover that he gets similarly excited and I've got absolutely no brakes. He's not a loon when he bombs off or anything but the inability to stop is a tad concerning.

His owner and I have been researching some options online but have got in a complete muddle about which type of bit will help with brakes and act in the right way for him! So, can you recommend something that isn't too harsh but that will provide a bit of extra control it's needed?

Kylara

Visit site
You could try him in a running martingale for field work as this still gives you control when he throws his head up. The reins remain active and when you put pressure on them it asks his head down.

If he throws his head up you want a lever bit which will ask his head to come down. Not a gag - gags raise the head (the dutch gag is in fact a lever bit not a gag).

If he is happy with the bit I would try the running martingale first as that will hopefully give you more control with the head tossing. :)

Lexi_

Visit site
Thank you!

I bought a running martingale at the weekend so will try him in that first, then perhaps start investigating lever bits :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
You could try something like a Universal which can be on the snaffle ring with a bit more action than a normal snaffle, or on the lower down ring if you need a bit more- then you would have the option of swapping it if needs be.
I have found it works on most horses who are fairly obedient but just over zealous in certain situations- there are various mouthpieces to choose from.

Jo1987

Visit site
I'd just try a loose ring snaffle to start with as they are a bit more mobile and more difficult to grab on to, and as mentioned, a martingale.