Bit advice

mandagus

Visit site
Gus is an ex-race horse and after a year off and then gentle work we've just started doing Dressage.

With lots of rearing so its all fun and games!!!! Told him the answer is not up in the sky! He's slowly believing me!

Anyway he seems to be rolling the bit and trying to get his tongue behind it. Which he has a few times.

He's in a Myler Comfort D ring snaffle, what would be a good bit for this?

Preferabbly one I can school and hack in and is Dressage legal?

annie02

Visit site
This is a hard one to comment on, I find it difficult to find bits for the horses I ride ... and I know exactly what they are like!

However, if you are happy with how he is going in the bit but unhappy with the tongue over the bit there is a seperate piece you can add to your briddle, it is a tongue depressor. It looks like a big W, you put it in first then the bridle over top, keeps them from lifting their tongue.

I would make a suggestion from your post....if your horse is rearing you may have to much bit in his mouth, the rearing could be a reaction to the bit. However this is just a superficial comment, I dont have any details. You could try a softer bit with rubber or roller, a thicker base anything that is a little more gentle and see how he handles it.

Kate_13

Visit site
I love the idea of the mylers, but my mare hated them to my great suprise! She used to fidget with it and headshake in it. I put her back into her loose ring french link snaffle and she was happy again.

It might help. Good luck

Bossanova

Visit site
I'd be inclined to put him in a rubber snaffle. He has less pressure on his mouth so hopefully wouldnt have so much to react against and it sounds like he may not lifke the metal.
Worth a try!

mandagus

Visit site
I've been advised on a straight bar loose ring snaffle (if I remeber correctly)

His nose band isn't too tight and he doesn't have a flash on.

His rearing is more of a help me, I don't think I can do it therefore I'm not and I ahve to say nicely yes you can.

But he is contantly mouthing and chomping the bit and I can feel him rolling it.

It cost me £60 that bit so before I buy another I want to be sure I get the right one.

Thank you for your comments