Bit advice

Suby2

Visit site
I have just started riding a rising 6 New Forest pony. She hasn't done very much except occasional hacking and has never really been ridden regularly so it still quite green. She is fairly good when hacked out but although she will at times walk along nicely, she has a habit of throwing her head around and sometimes trying to snatch the reins. She will also sometimes try to buck when going into canter.

Her back has been checked a number of times as has her saddle. I need to find out when her teeth were checked.

Her owner has her in a Wilkie bit which I am unfamiliar with but looking on the Internet appears to be quite strong. The pony is not difficult to stop.

My thoughts are that if her teeth are OK that it may be worth trying a different bit. Does anyone have any thoughts on the type of bit that might be suitable for a Forester with quite a petite head?

Annagain

Visit site
I'd get her teeth checked first but it does sound like she'd be ok in a snaffle of some sort. It's a case of trial and error rather than saying a certain bit is better for a certain breed although if she's got a smaller head I'd maybe try a thin mouthpiece with a lozenge as she's likely to have less space in her mouth.

Abacus

Visit site
She may just be a bit weak and young, so maintaining contact/outline is hard for extended periods - it depends how you are riding her. Have you tried asking her to 'go nicely', but allowing her regular neck stretches? Weak horses will often snatch or pull because they just can't maintain an outline well, when you first start to ask more of them. Does she do this more towards the end of a hack?

The bucking may be pain, or again might be weakness and lack of balance.

Suby2

Visit site
I think lack of balance could be an issue. I don't try to hold her in too much of a contact yet. At the moment we are only hacking out for about an hour and I let her have a completely loose rein at the end of the ride. She does shake her head at any point in the ride though.