bit bank

allijudd

Visit site
it has been suggested tahat i start a bit bank here with my shop...whih would actually be quite cool..

sooooooo....has anyone used one?
what did you think?
worthwhile?

also what sort of bit do you use and why?

fairhill

Visit site
That sounds like a really good idea. I've never used one (haven't had to up to now) but it's something that I've been wondering about using for awhile.

Meg (CBxwelsh) - I currently use a loose-ring hollow mouth snaffle because she's only just started being schooled, is reluctant to take hold of the bit and go forward, and also because I wanted something quite gentle to start her off.

Chloe (shireXclydesdale) (bits are rotated depending on who's riding and what she's doing):

Loose ring waterford - normal schooling bit, stops her leaning on her forehand and encourages her to relax her mouth. However steering can be a problem on hacks with this so we sometimes use:

3-ring gag (no curb chain) rein on second ring - again raises her off her forehand, more steering control, stops leaning, but a bit restrictive on the forwardness for schooling.

Loose-ring snaffle - for equitation and dressage competitions. If used too often she starts to lean and get heavy.

Unjointed pelham - again to lighten her forehand, used approx once a month to encourage her to use her hindquarters.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I used one extensively whilst trying to sort out bits for my boy. Saved me a fortune.

He now uses NS Demi-Anky for flatwork and Kimblewick (without curb chain) for SJ and XC

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
A friend of mine used a bit bank to sort out a problem they had. The quantity & quality of stock the bank carried was enormous. They had bits available that most people would never have seen & the staff knew exactly what each one would achieve when used. Having all these available & in the various sizes obviously required a large investment.

You will need to alot of research into it if you're considering it because if it doesn't work out you could get your fingers burnt financially. All the Best
smile.gif

allijudd

Visit site
thata what i need to find out...becasue we are a large yard we are always trying out different bits and the such like...i am trying to accumulate bits now and will probably start of slowly but it was just an idea to ompliment the store i am trying to open here for second hand tack and my own range that i make....

any ideas and any bits that people want to get rid of are gladly welcome...