Bit banks. Will they actually give me sensible advice?

Jesstickle

Visit site
As title really,

I'm trying to find something that will help me and BH a bit but there are so many options out there I don't know where to start. Trial and error is going to be very expensive on my pocket so I was wondering if people can really make educated guesses about what a horse will like or whether it is actually BS and I need to just suck it and see.

Any thoughts or experiences?

bluewhippet

Visit site
I think as long as you can describe the problem and have gone through all the other checks (saddle/behavioural problem/sore back), then they are very knowledgeable and helpful. Best thing really is to be able to loan bits and have a proper trial, because whatever the depth of their expertise, quite a lot is always going to be trial and error and guess work..

Good luck, I thought the Horse Bit Bank were very efficient and good.

jaquelin

Visit site
I called them awhile ago after my YO suggested a Waterford & my dressage trainer disagreed and suggested a roller. Phoned bit bank, who tried very hard to sell me a Myler bit, but then essentially agreed with my YO. I had already bought a Waterford (cheap) and then borrowed a roller from someone else.
Wasn't a bad experience, and I ended up saving money by not buying another bit at all!! I use the Waterford when I am not sure how strong he will be (at the mo just when hacking, tho may use when we start to jump). Use roller for flat work training, Fulmer when competing (roller not dressage compliant). Good luck!

sjp1

Visit site
Well ............ I have tried several bit banks. Yes, they are helpful, but if what they suggest doesn't suit,they tend to give up on you!

Having said that, I then contacted Heather Hyde at NS who suggested two different bits to try, completely different to what the bit banks had suggested.

I have subsequently tried one of them, and touch wood, we are getting there.

So yes, but if what they advise doesn't suit, keep trying!!!

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't doubt they're helpful! Just wasn't sure if they could actually really advise over the phone. Especially as the horse isn't hugely fussy, he's just unhelpful! He does the same in whatever I shove in his gob so I think perhaps there is no help for us!! :D

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
I don't doubt they're helpful! Just wasn't sure if they could actually really advise over the phone. Especially as the horse isn't hugely fussy, he's just unhelpful! He does the same in whatever I shove in his gob so I think perhaps there is no help for us!! :D

Come on then, tell auntie martlin all your bit problems :D

I found bit banks helpful, but a bit, ahem, simplistic in their advice.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Gail from horse bit hire has been really good with me, she has looked at videos, photos and listened at length and even offered a questionnaire. Which is the best you can hope for, I guess if you can't get to them.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Come on then, tell auntie martlin all your bit problems :D

I found bit banks helpful, but a bit, ahem, simplistic in their advice.

lol :D

Well, he's just BH really. A bit of a lout.

He's very, very good at convincing me that I have short reins when they are actually very long and if I do pick them up he'll bear down on my hands to begin with. When I'm being watched (and yelled at) I can half halt and leg enough to get him to put himself where he ought to be and sit back a bit but it's such a blimming struggle! Half halts he will ignore unless they are really rather strong and just barrels on.

Now I know these are general schooling issues ( I need more core strength, not to let him pull my elbows straight, to half halt a fraction earlier and always more leg) but I just feel like there is very little 'feel' at the end of the reins. Like I'm using a blunt implement. Basically, to put it crudely, I feel like I need spurs for his mouth. Something to say 'oi, come here you little sod and stop pulling me about'

He's basically been the same in his full cheek with a single joint, his loose ring with single joint, his loose ring french link and his loose ring hanging cheek. No real difference at all.

Now you wish you hadn't asked don't you?! :D I have video too but probably not much to see!

martlin

lol :D

Well, he's just BH really. A bit of a lout.

He's very, very good at convincing me that I have short reins when they are actually very long and if I do pick them up he'll bear down on my hands to begin with. When I'm being watched (and yelled at) I can half halt and leg enough to get him to put himself where he ought to be and sit back a bit but it's such a blimming struggle! Half halts he will ignore unless they are really rather strong and just barrels on.

Now I know these are general schooling issues ( I need more core strength, not to let him pull my elbows straight, to half halt a fraction earlier and always more leg) but I just feel like there is very little 'feel' at the end of the reins. Like I'm using a blunt implement. Basically, to put it crudely, I feel like I need spurs for his mouth. Something to say 'oi, come here you little sod and stop pulling me about'

He's basically been the same in his full cheek with a single joint, his loose ring with single joint, his loose ring french link and his loose ring hanging cheek. No real difference at all.

Now you wish you hadn't asked don't you?! :D I have video too but probably not much to see!

NS Verbindend. Possibly with Universal cheeks, but start with loose ring and see if that is enough.
ETS: I can lend you one... or maybe even, shock horror, a running gag :eek:

Jesstickle

Visit site
NS Verbindend. Possibly with Universal cheeks, but start with loose ring and see if that is enough.
ETS: I can lend you one... or maybe even, shock horror, a running gag :eek:

I can't even say that word Verby what now?! lol :D

He isn't strong per se. No risk of him bogging off, he's just so rude when I half halt. Totally ignores me the big knobber!

martlin

I can't even say that word Verby what now?! lol :D

He isn't strong per se. No risk of him bogging off, he's just so rude when I half halt. Totally ignores me the big knobber!

You need a bit of a lift off the shoulder and into your hand, cheltenham/running gag would do that, but I find that the feel of the contact can be a bit wishy washy (if you see what I mean). Verbindend does the same, but the feel is much clearer and a ''decisive'' half halt is much more effective and easier to execute.

Suziq77

Visit site
I used a magennis recently (which I hadn't seen used this century never mind this decade, everyone laughed at my old fashioned bit collection) with a major leaner who claimed they didn't know what a half halt was and said it was imperative that I hold their head up. Six weeks later the leaning was a thing of the past and we could go back to our loose ring french link. They're £15 from equestrian clearance which isn't much more than the bit bank charge for a borrow?

My other trick is popping a double bridle in to remind certain horses that (combined with a lot of rider leg) they do have hocks and it would be a hell of a lot easier if they used them.

I've never used a verbindend thingy so I have nothing useful to add there....

I find the bit bank very helpful when I ring them to tell them what I want but I have never used them from a blank piece of paper sort of starting point.

Jesstickle

Visit site
You can borrow my jumping bit if you like?

I might at some point. Particularly when we get going again properly. I will have to rethink bitting for hunting at some point but that is a way off yet. We're still sound though. Or we were. The knobhead cantered down the road when I was trying to do twenty minutes walking today because a van was behind us. Most unlike him. He's turned into a bit of a jelly brain since he's been off.

You need a bit of a lift off the shoulder and into your hand, cheltenham/running gag would do that, but I find that the feel of the contact can be a bit wishy washy (if you see what I mean). Verbindend does the same, but the feel is much clearer and a ''decisive'' half halt is much more effective and easier to execute.

That's exactly what I need. A bit of lift and something quite definitive. I am rubbish at explaining these things. I'm glad you understood what I was saying anyway :eek: It's a jumping off point at least.

Not that I can get any sense out of him at the moment mind you. He's all over the shop the great clot. Hopefully he'll settle down again soon and stay sound and I can get on with this boring flat work. Dull!

Jesstickle

Visit site
i am properly ancient :(:(:(:(:(

Well, that's why I'm embarrassed I don't know. Due to my amazing old school mothership I would normally know something like that. Martlin's crazy verby what not is far too new for me to know about though!

I will ask my Mumbles if she knows what your one is :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
It isn't torture I promise :)

That's a shame. You know how pro torture I am where BH is involved :D

Nitty had her wolf teeth out today poor little soul. And now she is out in the rain. And I pulled her mane whilst she was sedated. I am officially evil!

Kat

Visit site
I used to ride a big mare who was similar to BH and a NS verbidend worked best for dressage legal stuff, with the thinnest mouth available.

She went best in a sliding cheek pelham with two reins, and was very polite in a swales. In a normal pelham she got very deep, leaned and gave you the impression she might buck you off.

Suziq77

Visit site
That's a shame. You know how pro torture I am where BH is involved :D

Nitty had her wolf teeth out today poor little soul. And now she is out in the rain. And I pulled her mane whilst she was sedated. I am officially evil!

Ahhh poor Nitty - I bet she is perfectly happy, it's not cold just a bit wet :) Can we see photos of her new haircut?

The grey pony decided I was torturing her tonight, I keep thinking of her little face as she (finally) gave in :( In real life it wasn't that bad, I put a second lunge line on as 2 minutes before I was done she decided enough was enough!

Jesstickle

Visit site

Ta :)

I used to ride a big mare who was similar to BH and a NS verbidend worked best for dressage legal stuff, with the thinnest mouth available.

She went best in a sliding cheek pelham with two reins, and was very polite in a swales. In a normal pelham she got very deep, leaned and gave you the impression she might buck you off.

What we use for exciting stuff has yet to be decided but dressage legal would certainly be a bonus as although I don't really like it I feel obligated to do it from time to time. Stupid sense of obligation! :mad: :D

ETS: there are photos of her with it in plaits to lay it down but you'll have to wait for the email I've just sent from my phone to land before I can post!

Last edited:

bluewhippet

Visit site

My horse is like that, my instructor thought his head tossing was learned behaviour in challenging situations and that a change of bit wouldn't help much. I tried and to a certain extent it helped, but no miracle cure so I think I am left thinking that it is schooling that will help if anything.

Jesstickle

Visit site
Here you go (only slightly off topic but she is my favourite so I hope I can be excused!)

Not the most flattering picture of her and you can't see the full mane effect as it is plaited but there is about 75% less hair than there was this morning!! :eek:

IMG-20120502-00023.jpg