bit disappointed re. breeding of new horse

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
Lady who has our new horse has been to get her passport from the owner today, turns out the passport is of unknown breeding...we were told they knew breeding and bred her...obviously not! what to do?! we obviously still want the horse and have paid for her waiting for cheque to clear before we pick her up, the owner is on hol till tues so hopefully will find out more then...
Do you think this affects the price and what would you do?

GTs

Visit site
Well unless the claimed she was on specific breeding you really can not do anything about it.

mandy4727

Visit site
I would wonder how many more things that they have mentioned but are, how can I put it without sounding horrid. Untrue. How can you forget if you bred a horse or not? Surely they would have flicked through the passport they put her up for sale, even if it was just in case she had some super duper breeding? I am a very suspicious person by nature. But just be careful. It may be a mistake on their part but well....... you never know. But hope it turns out that horsey is everything you want.

RachelMcTimoney

oh no i don't mean legally..the lady is very nice and seems to have been misinformed by the owner who is not in this area. We were told her breeding is known and she thought she was TBxWelsh and they had bred her at the SJ yard. To me this affects the value of the animal espescially when it is a potential competition horse and a mare!

RachelMcTimoney

the lady we are buying her off has only had her for 4 weeks from the SJer (well known SJer so prob lots of horses coming and going) to school a bit and to sell, she really is perfect in every other way and passed 5* vetting so no probs with the horse just the idiots who own her! Really disappointing though, fingers crossed the rider who has got her will find some more from the owner.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ah, well, when I sent off for passports for my boys, there wasn't a box on the form for me to put in their breeding. It was a bit of a shock when the passports came back saying 'unknown breeding' when they'd never asked me! Boys were, however, registered with other associations so the buyer knew as much as was possible to know about them. Perhaps you could ask if your mare was registered elsewhere? If you know her full name you might be able to find her on a website i've seen that traces breeding... unfortunately I don't remember the addy, but someone on here will be able to tell you.

vic07

Visit site
I agree with pf as I had similar problems as when i got passports for mine i was very shocked when they came back breeding unknown. They have all got breed papers. This is another problem with the passports. can you have a word with the owners?

Enfys

Visit site
www.allbreedpedigree.com

I think this is the one that PF was thinking of. It very much depends on who the passport is from, Finn's has spaces for his sire and dam, the p/b welshies are listed as unknown, which peed me off a bit as they are practically flaming royalty, they are registered with their breed society now anyway as well, it was just at the time they were doing passports at the yard and I had them done.

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Do you know which passport it is? The reason i ask is that when i bought my filly last november as a weanling, i bought her direct from her breeder, although she was stabled at her producers yard. I was told all her parentage and breeding etc etc, but when she arrived her Sport Horse GB passport said 'unknown parentage'. When her breeder contacted me shortly after to see how she was doing i asked after this and she said that there wasn't really anywhere to write down her breeding unless the mare and stallion were SHgb graded. My filly is trakehner x arab so neither were graded with the SHgb. TBH it doesn't change anything for me, my filly can still be shown at county level etc. Perhaps the lady you have bought your horse from has actually been fairly innocent and has been truthful about her breeding, and has just filled out the passport info without realising to enter the breeding details.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Unless you can produce a covering certificate at the time of registration I'm afraid most passport issuers will put down either 'parentage unknown' or 'breeding unverified' something like that especially if they are a cross breed as they won't belong to any one breed then. That is really annoying if you know the parentage too. That could be what has happened here; the parantage is known but unmarked in the passport cos a covering certificate and proof of the mare was not lodged at the time of registration. If the horse performs well it won't make that much difference on her price but it is sad that unless you get her graded with something like the SHB then anything she breeds will come back with her parentage 'unknown' even if you have a covering certificate for the foal. You'll be able to say it's by so and so but her line will mean sweet **** all.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Yeh, I had a welsh pony who was bred by some friends and even though I knew his breeding for 3 generations back on his sires side his passport now says unknown on sires side because his sire wasn't a registered stallion in that society! But he is in another society, I hate these passports thay make no sense what so ever. I know the pony's breeding but its not allowed to be printed! How stupid, so i wouldn't worry, just try and find out why she has unknown breeding.

RachelMcTimoney

its sort of OK, only good thing about passports is that you always have all the past owners (since the horse was issued a passport anyway) so i am going to contact the 1st reg owner when we get the passport when we pick her up.. All the other details such as year of birth and markings match so that is the main thing and i can do some detective work regarding the breeding!!! a lot of the problems happen as owners/breeders with horses eligible for registration do not realise they should get the passport throught the breed society and they just get the cheapest they can for a horse of unknown breeding! thanks everyone i'm happy again now!