Bit fit consultants

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Yes definitely!

The one I had went through what I was currently using and history of my horse. Spoke to me about the confirmation of my horses mouth and how the bit affected that.

Then rode in my current bit then a selection of 4-5 bits till we decided on one that felt best.

She also went through fit of my bridle.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Yes definitely!

The one I had went through what I was currently using and history of my horse. Spoke to me about the confirmation of my horses mouth and how the bit affected that.

Then rode in my current bit then a selection of 4-5 bits till we decided on one that felt best.

She also went through fit of my bridle.

This, they are very much worth it

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Yes. My little lamb needs 7.5" bits so I was going to have to get something made for him and trials were never going to be possible. Ruth found me the perfect bit, explained why it worked for him (explained the anatomy of the mouth and how the bit worked) and they had the right size in stock which saved me a fortune in having to get something cast for him. Very happy horse!

vmac66

Visit site
Definitely worth having out. My mare would head shake when a contact was taken up, her bit was a neue schule team up. Bit fit consultant looked at her mouth and said she had a low palette and that the join on the losenge was digging in. She recommended a turtle top as a flatter joint. Borrowed a freinds bit and the headshaking stopped. Put her back in the team up and it started again. Bought the turtle top. Consultant also advised on bridle fit.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Most of us wouldn’t consider buying a saddle that wasn’t properly fitted, yet it’s still commonplace to use any old bridle and for a lot of us bitting is total guesswork and can be a nightmare to get right. Bit and bridle consultation was well worth it for my tricky to bit youngster and getting it right made a huge difference to him. Our natural reaction to get more control is to ‘bit up’ when often we need to do the opposite. I found the anatomy side of the consultation very interesting and it was great to be able to ride in so many different bit and bridle combinations to find the best one.

oldie48

Visit site
I also found them very helpful. My previous horse was difficult in the contact but was hugely improved in the bit they recommended. I used them for Rose too. Well worth having in and don't sell the bits so completely impartial.

gallopingby

Visit site
Like everything else this seems to be a new job opening for anyone prepared to do the course, which isn’t very long. If you’re struggling and can find someone who has more than a couple of years experience and is well recommended then probably cost effective but like some saddle fitters the two day self funded course qualification may not be sufficient to provide a suitable platform to build a career on. Have a look at all options before deciding which way to go.

Kaylum

Visit site
Done the bitfit intro course, it's very good but very intense and the marking is very strict. I actually enjoyed it but like I say I put myself under a lot of pressure to complete it as it has a strict deadline for completion and it's a lot of work.

little_critter

Visit site
If anyone is in Somerset I can totally recommend Charlotte Warman who is based at Kings Sedgemoor. Very thorough, and also careful ref hygiene

Bruce17

Visit site
What qualifies a 'bitting consultant'? Is there some sort of qualification or training they have to do?

There's one in my area and I'm interested in trying it out, but I don't really want to be paying for it if any old Tom, Dick or Harry can call themselves one.

Not sure if it's just the new in thing?

Sags_Deer

Somewhere in the hills in the sunny south
Visit site
Like everything else this seems to be a new job opening for anyone prepared to do the course, which isn’t very long. If you’re struggling and can find someone who has more than a couple of years experience and is well recommended then probably cost effective but like some saddle fitters the two day self funded course qualification may not be sufficient to provide a suitable platform to build a career on. Have a look at all options before deciding which way to go.
Yes this is what bothers me and the fact they check your saddle , really as if they will learn that much about saddle fitting

fredflop

Visit site
Great idea... tried three different bit fitters. One replied, then ignored me when I said I couldn’t do something with my horse that they wanted; one replied then stopped, and the third never got back to me.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site

I use the horse but fit consultants, this company has been going around for over 15 years.

The lady I had out was also an equine Osteopath. Most of the other consultants also have either qualifications to go with their bit fit one.

Sprat

Visit site
I used Beresford Bitting, but they are closed until spring. She does list other people on this post, and they includes Lantra certified, in answer to Bruce above. I have also used Hilary Vernon of Informed Designs and she was really good too, but incredibly hard to get hold of.

I also used Beresford Bitting and would highly recommend.

I had previously used a 'Bit Fit' consultant and wasn't impressed at all, ended up with a bit that was the wrong size for my mare, and quite frankly the woman who I used was off her rocker.

Myloubylou

Visit site
I had a bit fit consultant out to my mare who I’ve owned 9 months. Said bridle fit was good other than browband was a bit snug. Was in bog standard loose ring french link bit which was right length but quite chunky. Swapped to bigger brow band and stride immediately lengthened and ears went forward. Changed bits, few different styles and ended on eggbut jointed snaffle, mare listened to my aids and was light in transitions. Seemed to be listening even in the howling winds. Bit isn’t even that expensive. Check was definitely worth the money.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Does anyone know of one in or covers Wales? Looked everywhere & struggling due to not being able to find anyone nearby or needing minimum numbers - we're only on a small yard. Would prefer to have someone to the yard as loading my horse is rather difficult!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site