Bit Guard query

Lisa1979

Visit site
Hi there, Can someone give me a bit of advice regarding bit guards, from what I read about them they're designed to stop the bit from pinching the corners of the horses mouth - question is, do they work?
And if so, can you use them on any type of bit, like a full cheek for example?
Tried all sorts of bits and they still seem to pinch my boys mouth, he's a particularly sensitive soul, bless him.

Any advice would be gladly received!

Thank u!

flyingfeet

Visit site
Yes they stop chaffing and pinching, however really only work on loose ring bits.

On eggbutts such as full cheeks and fulmers, they can result in even more hair loss due to the rubber rubbing.

I am not a fan of them unless you bit has huge holes in the mouthpeice. Most problems are fixed by using the correct size bit for your horse (also note that they are not allowed for dressage)

Lisa1979

Visit site
I didnt think they worked on anything but loose rings, but didnt realise that they made the rubbing worse in eggbutt's or full cheek's. Thanks very much for that. Just going through a bit dilemma at the moment, have tried a loose ring, eggbutt and now a full cheek, and all seem to pinch. I know he has the right size bit which is the frustrating part!

Lisa1979

Visit site
Yep I use vaseline on his mouth every day before riding! Thanks for your advice all!
And re: a happy mouth, yes I think i will try one of those - wish me luck!

vickers22

Visit site
i found using a happy mouth made no difference at all, perhaps made it worse as they can chew the plastic and it can get rough edges..
frown.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
I had a similar problem with my daughters pony - eggbuts used to rub at the joint and a loose ring would pinch. Neue Schule do a new bit which is designed to prevent this problem and it may be worth giving them a ring for advice. They are really good.

Bit here