Bit Hacked off - Buyers & their trainers...

bandit

Visit site
had a lady who almost fell in love with my horse on friday - came back on saturday - and hacked him with me. she said he was exactly the sort she was looking for - all she wanted was a hack, and once a week a longer ride, and possibley to take on riding holidays...

i've been honest - he's been off work, tied up almost 2 years ago, unfit and therefore reverted to type - which is weak behind and down hill slightly. she didn't seem fazed, as he was well mannared - no stable vices, easy to do in all ways..

anyway - very brusk trainer turns up today - insists on me trotting him up and down in teh pouring rain - i'm already late from my lunchbreak - takes him then in the school - moans it's so far away??? - and proceeds to hoik (sp) him in the mouth, booted him forward (with schooling whip) and trot and canter him around - no real warm up! and it's still pouring.... and then say to me,,,, well he is slightly heavy on the hand and weak behind - i say - i know!!!?? never hid that from them...

so - guess whay - trainer and she talk - prospective buyer then calls to say, sorry but he's lovely, but trainer doesn't think he's 'sparky' enough.....

oh well, bang goes opportunity for a lovely hack, as safe as you want, good to hack and travels well -

Back to drawing board.

taking the old boy cubbing tomorrow to cheer him up - poor love...

BX

BuckingHorse

Visit site
Really gutted for you, I'm sure the right person will come along though.
I had a similar experience with a hunter I had for sale, really suited the girl who came to look at her but trainer advised too heavy for her ......ended up with neurotic ID x (same weight as my mare) which promptly went lame and 6 years on still can't be ridden.
Good luck though and keep us updated. x

Tia

Visit site
Good job he didn't go to them is what I say!! Always better to find out these things before the money has passed over.

You WILL find the perfect person - they're around, honestly.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Hmm, said buyer will probably end up with something that is a bit much for them, and that will need regular schooling by trainer, who will eventually convince her that it is wasted with her and really the trainer should be paid to compete it...

Have NOTHING against people asking for a second opinion, 9 times out of 10 it stops them making silly purchases, however I think this is a classic case. Hope your next prospect is the right person for him.

airedale

Visit site
hang on - am I missing something here

sad that you think horse and viewer would have made a good pairing and 'trainer' sounds like most of them - instant results and out to make an impression and/or point punter in direction of something she can earn commission on....

but you say that horsey is unfit and off work for 2 years and then say you're taking him hunting to cheer him up ............... surely he can't be fit enough ??? I know that cubbing isn't full hunting and also that you wouldn't do anything to hurt him but it just struck me as strange

bandit

Visit site
no - he's not as fit as he should be, but he's been in light work for about 6 weeks, and meet is at my yard so showing him hounds and will be back within the hour.

what gets me most is that the lady wanted a calm horse to hack, and why the trainer did what she did i have no idea - frankly i would want warming up before being asked to run a race or play some football....

Bx

airedale

Visit site
think trainer has a 'hidden agenda'

lady saw your advert and fancied your horse
trainer has a horse she'd like to sell to the punter
trainer comes and 'rubbishes' you horse
lady pulls out of your horse
trainer makes dosh selling her horse to punter

common story

one reason why I don't sell anything to people who keep their horses at livery. Makes it hard to sell the odd thing I do sell, but I only sell to homes where the horse is kept on site and where I have visited the house and seen owners in their own surroundings as it were.

Yes there are wonderful owners who don't have horses at home but then think of the number of people who post on here about moving yards - some seemingly endlessly. ................

Troy1999

New User
Visit site
I think this is common-place unfortunatley, my friend (very ill) sold her horse recently (see my old post Selling Private).
He was described as safe, quiet hack, low level schoolmaster.
First people to see him said they wanted exactly that, 3 hours of riding him, including hacking him alone everywhere, he never put a foot wrong, they then turn and say 'he's abit slow, not as highly schooled as we wanted' - what do they want for £2000 - grand prix? The old boy even did a flying change for goodness sake!
Next people loved him but he was too tall for them.
Anyway, she finally found what appeared to be a loving new family, who took him next day after trying him for cash (without vetting or trainer viewing) and now after several weeks are declaring him 'nasty' 'dangerous' to handle and trying to take her to court as she won't take the horse back. (not so much won't as physically can't and doesn't own her own stable.)
My sympathies to you all selling an equine!!!