Bit ideas please

Neptune

Visit site
Just looking for some ideas as to which bit to use on my horse.

He is currently ridden in a NS loose ring team up bit which works well for him schooling and Jumping. But when it comes to hacking he is a lot more forward going and spooky, he walks with his ears practically up my nose! When he spooks they can be quite extravigant (sp!) also. So I feel like i need some more control. It doesn't have to be a stronger bit just something that will come in to play when it is required. Plus he is starting re-hab walking from a ligament injury so I need to keep him in control as much as possible and no darting off anywhere!

I was looking at the NS universal trans-losange bit. Does anyone use this? It appears to be based on the dutch gag but not so strong? Also has a bit of poll pressure to hopefully bring his head down out of orbit.

Or does anyone else have other ideas? I have already been recommended to change his standard bridle to a grackle to stop him crossing his jaw and getting hold of the bit which he has done a few times in the past hacking, not much fun!

georgiegirl

Visit site
I use the universal really sucessfully on a horse which is strong but completely detests 'strong' bits and will really throw her hog out if she feels restrained. I really like them. Since a few weeks ago Ive decided to hack in mine all the time now and it makes a much pleasanter life for the pair of us. All our school work is done in a snaffle and were still getting 70 - odd % in dressage so it appears theres been no ill effects in using it all the time for hacking.

Im a big believer in not everything has to go in a snaffle at all times.....

ajf

Visit site
I would say try just changing the noseband to a grackle a couple of times as that may be enough.

My not strong horse hated the universal, but hates anything with poll pressure. I ended up with Cheltenham gags with two reins as just a snaffle and then a little more on other rein when needed.

The trouble with bits it depends so much on the horse and quite often you won't know until you try!

Good luck :)

be positive

Visit site
Dare I say it but I have done all the rehab hacking on my sharp yet sensitive in the mouth horse, who is inclined to drop the bit and whip round putting all the weight onto his injured leg thus risking doing it more damage, in running reins, not through the legs just back to the girth, they have prevented a few sticky moments yet only come into play when required, most of the time they are only under the fingers of one hand but are easily picked up if he starts to tense and can then easy be put back where I need him.
I could not use a stronger bit and don't think it would really help with mine, a standing martingale was considered but he is so quick it probably would need to be very short to prevent him turning and a running would potentially interfere too much with his mouth causing other issues.

Jenni&Ditty

Visit site
What about a market harborough? It won't make him any less strong but it will pull his head down a bit more than a running martingale. You don't have to have it very tight of you don't want him on the bit, bit I was having this problem with my mare and I used one yesterday and she was a lot better :) or like someone said above you could use a standing martingale for the same reason :)