Bit more oomph for coblet

Julia0803

Visit site
Dear All,

Wondering if I could bounce some ideas around for winter feeding of my 14.2 all rounder cob. We have had him for a year now, he is worked 5-7 days per week, hacking for 1-2 hours up hills in w.t.c, lesson 1-2 times per week, competing in unaf dressage twice per month, and PC and with the odd date hunting, or XC. He is a lovely boy, but his default setting is gently grind to a halt and look for something to eat.. ;) He is a lovely but lazy. My instructor always chuckles and says he do as you ask but offers you the bare minimum he can get away with in terms of effort, so you do really have to get after him.. However, I can't have him getting sky high (which tbh i think is VERY unlikely) as my 11 year old son shares him with me.

He maintains his weight nicely and is at a good weight. He is currently living out, coming in for a few hours during the day where he has ad lib haylage.

He is currently being fed 1/2- 3/4 stubbs scoop of power and performance and 3/4 stubbs scoop of HI FI molasses free, plus a mug of micronised linseed.

Last winter I fed him speedi beet and he was also fed stay power cubes in addition to hifi mf. Last winter and summer he was probably doing a little more work- hacking for 2-3 hours per day and more fast work- we have a lovely track near us with gentle slopes up and down that is exactly a mile long which we used for fast fittening work. He still had the same energy level.

His work is going to step up over the next few weeks in prep for hunting in December, plus we are doing a little more jumping and going xc schooling about 3 times per month between now and xmas.

I am just wondering whether keeping him on what I've got is going to be the best thing (starting to run low on both feeds). Wondering whether i should go back to the speedibeet again now the winter is setting in? Maybe use oats as i think the calcium phosphorus ratio is good when fed with speedibeet, rather than the p+p cubes. I put him on the p+p cubes in the early summer as his work load stepped up in preparation for PC camp with my son. Didn't really notice a huge difference in energy level but no adverse affects either so kept him on it.

When he came to me last year, he was on competition mix and hifi. However, his previous owners said that they had just started the comp mix in a bid to give him a bit more oomph whilst they were at PC camp... but it hadn't made the slightest bit of difference so they said they hadn't planned on buying another bag.

Alos, does anyone know if micronised linseed goes off? I stopped feeding it over the summer and have a bit left in the bag from last year... bin it?

Thanks