bit/noseband suggestions for my giraffe

1973horse

Visit site
hi there would any one be able to recommend a bit or nose band that will help me with my horse/giraffe. have tried every snaffle you can possibly buy and caverson noseband this was no good.snaffle and flash,no good. pelham and flash no good,grackle and fulmer,better. im thinking keep the grackle and try a different bit.she had all checks and every thing and shes fine.

Elsbells

Visit site
I had one of these:D

Put her in a myler comfort low port snaffle, a comfort bridle with a cavesson noseband then wrapped a big fat sheepskin cover around it. If they put their heads up all they see is sheep, soooo they have no option but to drop their heads to see over it!:D:D

Less is more sometimes and the giraffe has gone.

Kiristamm

Visit site
We used a De gogue on our star gazer, it worked really well and was off him within a month. He was great and happy in a simple snaffle and caverson after we had used it.

Mlini

Visit site
Mine used to impersonate a giraffe, turns out his pelvis was misaligned and he wasn't physically strong enough to carry himself any other way.

He is now fixed :D and is in a cavesson and sprenger full cheek snaffle. Using a market harborough keeps him in check.

1973horse

Visit site
I'd LOVE to ride a giraffe! :D

Is her head just in the air the whole time?

no.we have had her for 2,1/2 years and she is loads better.myself and my daughter ride her and we are different riders.i have found that i constantly have to ride with my hands lower and wider than i would normally ride encourage her to reach down.she is 16 but she can also become a bit joggy on hacks and her head can then come up.she wouldnt tolerate being pulled around(which i wouldnt do any way.WHEN she does accept the bit she holds herself very well

1973horse

Visit site
Good, although often it is underlying discomfort of some kind IME - to do with being ridden.
What is she like on the lunge? With tack & without?
Does she do it running around in the field?

shes fine on lunge with or without
never really noticed it when she is in field

Doogal

Visit site
My giraffe had a hugely built up muscle on the underside of his neck. On the lunge and at liberty he likes to tank round with a hollow back and high head (with plenty of nose thrusting for good measure).

I found a neue schule hanging cheek tranz lozenge & cavesson noseband the most effective snaffle. I also started using a kavladkade aid for lunging to encourage him to start stretching which he found very difficult in trot.

He will still giraffe when he is excited, spooky or wants to argue but the more topline he builds, the better he gets. However he isnt a "joggy" excited kind of horse, he's more of a tense, "ARRRGH it's a leaf - run!!!" kind of horse :rolleyes: