bit of a dilemna - first time seller

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
hiya everyone - I'm selling one of my geldings and I've put him up for advert and everything. He's a great all rounder really - 15 hands, Welsh section D, 8 yrs old. He's lovely, great jumper, nice temperament etc etc. I had a lady come to see him today but she was very very large. She didn't seem very experienced, and didn't ride with a light seat. This gelding loves to jump so I want him to go to a home where he can do a bit of showing. This lady only could jump a small cross on him and said she just wanted a hack. He's really not right for her but she rang this evening saying she's interested. I mean he's fine for hacking but he will want to do more. He also was huffing and puffing when she tried him on a hack - what can I say to put her off???? Shall I say he's sold? The home is so important here.

Skhosu

Visit site
I would say you would like him to go to an experienced jumping /showing home. It may come across rude, but better than saying you thought she was too heavy!
Beware of badmouthing your pony/saying he's sold as you risk her talking to other interested buyers.

Tia

Visit site
I agree. The worst thing you could do would be to lie. The horse world is VERY small! Just say that although she is very nice, you really want your horse to go to a home offering blah blah blah.

Be nice though.
smile.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
I agree, just be honest you want him to go to a competition home where he can reach his potential and therefore you feel he is unsuitable.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Little more to be said, I agree with what every one has said here, It wouldn't be fair for your horse to go to someone who is totally unsuitable for him & also where he would not be doing what he loves to do. You'll find the right person for him soon.
smile.gif

monica123

Visit site
i agree with everyone else.......dont say she is to large and not good enough, say you are very sorry, but you think he needs a competition home where he can reach his full potential or something! good luck!

dieseldog

Visit site
Well, your horse will be just as happy hacking as he would jumping - as long as he is well fed and warm he won't give a monkeys what he is getting up to - unless of course you sell him to someone who is going to over jump him...

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I had this with my pony mare i just sold... the woman hung up on me....
blush.gif
mad.gif
but she wanted to do dressage and hack down hurrible busy roads and although my mare could do this they def weren't her strongest points, im sure my mare wouldnt of minded to much like dieseal dog said but from the ladies point of view why spent £3850 on a horse thats got an unbelive-able jump, nice lines etc when you want to do dressage, and hacking. I would just tell her nicely that you know the horse very well and dont think he'd be suitable. You wouldnt want to sell him to the wrong home because it wouldn't be pleasant for anybody and he'd just end up on the market again.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
with all respect - you don't know my horse DD. he likes to do more than hacking. He loves the show scene. The lady wasn't right for him and the home is important. Thanks everyone for advice
smile.gif