Bit of a rant, sorry!

equibabe20

Visit site
Right sorry if I go on a bit! My horse is kept in an american barn type thing with 8 other horses, everything has been fine fot the past 18 months, but we have one lady who likes to 'baby' her horse i.e he doesnt go out if it rains or is slightly windy etc.. I don't have a problem with this but she complained a few months back that the rain was coming in her stable through the gaps in the top. The gaps are there to provide ventilation, so after her winging they got boarded up! Now she has complained again saying he gets cold because the barn doors are open at night and lied and said everyone else wants them shut
frown.gif
So now the doors are shut at night, the gaps are boarded up and there is no ventilation.
My boy has COPD anyway which is now under control but now because of this it wll probably get worse, all the other horses are now coughing too.
We are going to speak to the owner but she is having personal problems and is a bit un-approachable at the moment, so what should I do??? Am I being unreasonable or do you all agree that it is a health hazard??

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
OH NO! Not a little bit of rain and wind
shocked.gif
... I hate to remind people THEY ARE HORSES!(!!)
grin.gif
Give them credit for something!!
crazy.gif
No ventilation...
blush.gif
Can't think of anything worse....
crazy.gif
I think your going to have to say its fair... there its 7 aginest 1 in your favor...
smirk.gif

equibabe20

Visit site
She wont move her horse as he has a slightly bigger stable than the rest. She doesn't seem to have thught it through properly otherwise she'd have realised how bad it is to have no ventilation.

miss_bird

Visit site
If she is having personal prob ok maybe give her a bit of slack (we have all been there) maybe invite her for a coffee and explain that it will make her horse ill if there is no fresh air circulating around the barn, obviously emphasis make her horse ill, hopefully she will be so worried about that, that she will compromise and agree to the doors being open slightly at night. if not all the others of you will have to compain to YO and get the doors left open regardles of what she wants.
But please do try the softly approach first.

dwi

Visit site
the barn doors at my yard are locked whenever there is no-one there, not just at night. We do have good ventilation between the slats at the top. Could you suggest that the boards at the top are reopened if she wants to the doors shut?

I wasn't sure about having the door shut at first but it is much more secure for equipment and for my mare.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Oh dear - I dont think I would be too happy. I would play on the health aspects top her horse - perhaps find out some books or magazine article to back you up, alternatively suggest she puts another rug on her horse. My horses have doors to front and back of their stables and the wind was whisltling thorough last night, none of them were cold, I would much rather their air space was healthy.

equibabe20

Visit site
Yeah my point exactly, Id rather have vlean fresh air for them. Well I will be seeing her at he weekend hompefully so I'll have a talk with her and see what happens. X