Bit of a Scare Today

unbalanced

Visit site
I tied my pony up with her feed this morning, speedi-beet and micronised linseed. I always make the feeds up the night before and even though it's been so cold this week it's been fine and they haven't frozen - there was water sloshing around in the one I gave her this morning.
Well, I turned away and she started making moaning noises then she froze with her head down then started pressing her face on the wall. She was only choking on liquid feed!
The only think I can think of is that the linseed must have jellified and frozen. So, moral of the story, I now have to get up extra early to make feeds fresh. And after reading Oberon's thread I come to the conclusion that micronised linseed is dangerous stuff indeed.

Oh and she was fine within five minutes, fortunately and calmed down quickly. I will keep an eye though. Last time she had choke (ten years ago) it was recurring and she ended up in horsepital getting tube feeds for a week.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Glad all was well in the end.

I'm not at all a fan of leaving damp feeds overnight. They go stale - I wouldn't want my cereal if Id put the milk on the night before.. We used to have liveries that left food made up ready to be put in by someone else, and it frequently had mice running over it, even with covers on the buckets. I prefer to spend an extra couple of minutes in the morning making them up from fresh.

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
I make my dry feeds up the day before but take home a tub with dry speedi beet in it. I fill it with hot water before leaving for the yard so my horse always gets a fresh and warm breakfast in the winter.

mightymammoth

Visit site
I tied my pony up with her feed this morning, speedi-beet and micronised linseed. I always make the feeds up the night before and even though it's been so cold this week it's been fine and they haven't frozen - there was water sloshing around in the one I gave her this morning.
Well, I turned away and she started making moaning noises then she froze with her head down then started pressing her face on the wall. She was only choking on liquid feed!
The only think I can think of is that the linseed must have jellified and frozen. So, moral of the story, I now have to get up extra early to make feeds fresh. And after reading Oberon's thread I come to the conclusion that micronised linseed is dangerous stuff indeed.

Oh and she was fine within five minutes, fortunately and calmed down quickly. I will keep an eye though. Last time she had choke (ten years ago) it was recurring and she ended up in horsepital getting tube feeds for a week.

what was said about micronised linseed being dangerous? curious now as I feed this :)

unbalanced

Visit site
what was said about micronised linseed being dangerous? curious now as I feed this :)

Oberon fell over and cut her lip badly while carrying a bucket of it. Don't worry, I will be continuing to feed it, just not making up my feeds the night before any more. Might try chestnuttymare's tip about making them at home with the hot water.

Ladydragon

Visit site
Glad she was ok... Could the feed have been too cold for her after sitting over night?

We make up the feeds as needed but in this weather the water addition is a mix of yard tap and hot water so they're not shovelling icy cold food into their bellies...

Huh?! Oberon was one of the members who suggested I add it to the feeding regime... :confused:

Ah...just saw your last post... Poor Oberon - although I doubt the linseed did it deliberately... :)

Last edited:

maxapple

Visit site
I make my dry feeds up the day before but take home a tub with dry speedi beet in it. I fill it with hot water before leaving for the yard so my horse always gets a fresh and warm breakfast in the winter.

That's a fab idea - I'll be doing that from now on! :)