bit of advice please

_daisy_

Visit site
Well Willow is turning out to a bit of a cow really.
mad.gif
Just is very loving, comes straight up to you when your in the field with her. Comes to join in poo picking or playing re fencing. i can groom her all over, legs, belly, give her cuddles and everything.
grin.gif

HOWEVER
when I try to catch her and she turns from angelic little girl to the devil
mad.gif
. She has a foal slip on but as soon as i hold the strap she pulls away, rears, throws herself around and just behaves like an imbosile (sp?). Why will she let me do all of the above? Does she just know when i want to catch her to do something specific?

She kicked off big style tonight. In preparation for Saturdays show i thought id just get her leading around and see if she would stand while Ebi walked away from her and back again. She had the biggest tantrum getting out of the field, even fell over onto a bush (hasnt hurt herself just shocked her more than anything) once out of the field she became Miss Angelic again - did everything we asked of her and even stood rock solid whilst Ebi and mum walked off up the field and back.

Any ideas of how to get her to be caught her easier? Was thinking of stabling her for a few nights, so i can mess with her in a small confined space so she cant run off?

TGM

Visit site
When you catch her what do you normally do with her? Does it always involve being taken away from the others?

_daisy_

Visit site
no shes not taken away from the others. Sometimes shes just caught for grooming in the field and messing around with her. Other times it is to be taken out of the field however she isnt in the field with anyone but Ebi

_daisy_

Visit site
i did tonight SN. However i have a little headcollar that i have led her off before. Always have a long leadrope in case she kicks off like she is atm.

allijudd

Visit site
what ive always done in the past is to get an old jumper and when cuddling in the feild (which she is obviosly loves to do) to slip jumper round front of chest with arms for handles around wither area holding onto to arms then remove and keep doing a few times until she thinks its a game...then start leading her from the jumper then run hands up neck and still playing fiddle with foal slip until she lets you slip other one on...then lead from both....

_daisy_

Visit site
might be completely blonde here but if she were to kick of as she does she would have a jumper attached to her which would scare her even more wouldnt it. Also how would you lead from the jumper - it cupped round her backside too to give the little extra reassurance?

allijudd

Visit site
ive always just dropped the jumper to the ground..they can then have a good play with and accepted it better next time.....as for extra help..i put the 2 sleeves in 1 hand and use the other ie lead with foalie on right hand side sleeves in left hand and use right hand on bum. just drop and it all goes away...

the jumpers great soft and if its old can get ruined etc

_daisy_

Visit site
ah understand now - told you i was being blonde - at first i though you meant to tie the arms together at the cuffs so making it more secure to lead from however this would defeat the object of security in foal if anything did happen.
Completely understnad now how to lead with a jumper. Suppose its just like thoses lingy things that you can use to lead foals in.

allijudd

Visit site
that must have been my blonde moment then...

ive never had a probelm kleading foals like this....

am cheap have never invested in those line things....

i can always find a ues for old clothes....or even chris! lol

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks allij for your advice - really appreciate it. Sure Willow wont tho, miserable cow she is. ill have to give it a try - will dig out a jumper and have a try tomorrow - can mess with her in the morning before i go to work then again tomorrow night when i go up.
the lines things in my mind are a waste of money if it can be copied by some other material eg jumpers!!

lennysmith

Visit site
Honey. We went through all of this with Denevr. It will get better I promise. If Maesfenhorse is about I'm sure she'll give you fab words of wisdom. It was following her advice I got Denver leading in a week. I did all the hard work in the stable though.

You'll def need a helper to wrap your arms around her bum. But once they think forward they stop thinking paddy!! It's so funny, silly animals. You do have to get used to walking a bit like a crab for a few days though!

Denevr is an angel now. He never has his headcollar on in the filed and stands and puts his own head in it now. ooo if you'd have seen him a few weeks ago!! He now leads like an angel sometimes stops but a quick growl and off we go.

I think Pat (MFH) may have sent me the 'how to do' in a pm I'll go see if I can find it xxxxx

_daisy_

Visit site
cheers Lenny - its so frustrating when she turns into psycho foal. Why cant she just be like Chantin when i got her? shed never had a headcollar on till i got her she used to come to me to be caught, lead straight away. I think im going to have my work cut out.
the PM would be very good if youve still got it. If not im sure maesfenhorse will read this and hopefully reply.

_daisy_

Visit site
thats great Lenny - MFH wont have to type it all again. Just perfect. Maybe she should come in tomorrow night for some play time in the stable so she cant run away from me like shes doing in her field.

lennysmith

Visit site
Thats what I did whipped denver in and told him he couldn't go back out til he was a good boy!! lol

Goodluck, it does work I promise xxx

_daisy_

Visit site
well thats what it going to have to be. If she doesnt like it tough luck. Shes got 2 options. Like it and behave or dont like it and behave.
will need all the luck in the world. will let you know how i get on

_daisy_

Visit site
thanks MFH - im glad Lenny found it too its really really long.
do you think that Ebi and Willow will be alright in a 12x12 stable together for a few days whilst i do some intensive training with Willow?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Of course I don't mind, silly goose! I'm just chuffed that it all worked reasonably to plan for you. Someone asked me a bit ago about that post and I tried to find it but couldn't, never thought to look for Denver, dumb greyhead me!
blush.gif
I'll direct them to this post now.

How is the gorgeous Denver and his mum, he must have sprouted by now?! Hope things are looking up for you too now after your grotty time.xx

_daisy_

Visit site
Wasnt planning on keeping them in all day &night, just fetching them and leaving them for a few hours or so each evening say whilst i go out riding so i can mess with Willow before and after.