bit problem.

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
Hiya, I'm looking for some advice on a possible bit on my horse. He's a 15hh Cob x and very strong. After a bit of bit changing we settled for a dutch gag with one joint as I actually had control of him! However, he really didn't like this bit so I've decided we need a change. I've put him back in a loose ring french link for now which is fine out hacking, but is no good for any canter or jumping work as he is just too strong and bombs at the jumps. So basically has anyone got any suggestions? He carries his head very high so a bit of poll pressure would not be a problem lol.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I rode a big (but very stunning) 16'3hh cob yesterday and he is ridden in a Waterford snaffle. It seemed to work for him. Have you tried one?

frannieuk

Visit site
I may be wrong but I believe that the action of a gag is actually to raise the head, although I'm not sure how this works.

LauraBR

Visit site
If he carries his head high then gags and other poll pressure bits aren't likely to be the answer as don't they lift the head?

I'll shut up now as I'm rubbish re bits but I do know my horse has the reverse problem (head down) and we've had success with the it types you have mentioned.

Good luck!

Irishcobs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I rode a big (but very stunning) 16'3hh cob yesterday and he is ridden in a Waterford snaffle. It seemed to work for him. Have you tried one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, my strong 15.3hh cob is ridden it a waterford snaffle, she loves it and I have control.

spike123

Visit site
to encourage a lower head carriage for a strong horse then you would probably be best with a pelham.As you say he is fine for most things I would use it with 2 reins rather than roundings as you could ride mainly off of the snaffle but have the curb action for when you need brakes and more control.

spike123

Visit site
I tried a waterford on my horse and tbh I don't think it will have the effect you are looking for on your horse.They are good for pullers and leaners as they prevent the horse getting a hold on the bit if that is a problem.For a horse who puts his head in the air and evades by going above the bit you need something designed to lower the head not raise it hence why a gag doesn't work either in that situation.If you want to try a snaffle type bit why not try a hanging cheek french link as this will encourage lowering of the head but still be a snaffle bit that your horse is used to and seems to like.

Irishcobs

Visit site
I have the loose ring, makes the whole thing move more and she really can't lean on it. If you need stearing then a full cheek, and if you think you need more breaks then a hanging cheek would be better. It depends on your horse.