Bit question

pennyturner

Visit site
Horse was 'on the limit' in a French link snaffle first time hunting. I'm thinking in the interest of safety of using a wilkie with two reins next time, so I can use the second rein with a slight gag action if I need it. Does this sound sensible, and should I add a chin strap?

eventer and proud

Visit site
I think this sounds good, but it you riding your horse not me. maybe try a pelham with a 'D' this creates a combined effect of both reins with out having to hold two.

rara007

Visit site
tbh I doubt you will find it much of a step up, the 'lever' of a wilkie is so small the effect of it would be limited. Do you really want 4 reins for one horse for the whole day ;) ? If you're going for double reins I would go 'whole hog' and get either a true gag or a pelham so that the bottom rein is a true difference.

pennyturner

Visit site
Rara, I presume by a 'true' gag, you mean a cheltenham (running) gag?

I'm not too worried by having 4 reins. I suppose it might get annoying, but I'd be looking to 'carry' the bottom rein rather than use it mostly. My thinking is that since he did actually stop in his french link, I shouldn't be looking to bit him up, so much as to surprise him with something slightly different when he gets strong. I thought the poll action of the Wilkie might do that. A gag would do it much more clearly, but it would also raise the bit in the mouth much more, which I believe is more severe... is that right?

He wouldn't be the first welsh cob to go well in a pelham, but that's a totally different mouthpiece and action, and I'd be right there if he hadn't been stoppable. I was trying to stick to what he knows, since he was basically a good but enthusiastic boy.

Pearlsasinger - by preventing rotation, would the strap increase bar/tongue pressure, and that on the chin groove but decrease that on the poll?

be positive

Visit site
It depends on the individual but for the one I most recently used a Wilkie on it was plenty enough to give the rider the extra control xc that was not there with a snaffle, we used it with one rein and no strap, he was able to bowl on between fences but came back when required with no fighting, in the snaffle he took far longer to half halt which meant the rider having to ask several times before he responded.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I've also used a wilkie with a single rein for hunting/jumping, although also used it with a grackle so I think the extra control came from the combination of the two... But I did find it useful for that little extra control :)