BIT SORE IN CREASE OF MOUTH!

Jodie4664

New User
Visit site
I have just noticed that my horse has a sore in the crease of his mouth where his bit goes. It is the size of a 5p piece. He has been a bit fidgety lately and I feel awfull! It looks like it is healing as there is pink granulation tissue around the edge. I currently use a loose ring snaffle with bit guards, but have previously used a Myler combo with copper inlays, could this have caused the problem? How has this happened, has anyone expenienced this???

ru-fi-do

Visit site
My old mare used to get a sore mouth whatever bit we used to try, we used to use this Glymol and it worked really well, you can also get a bit roll, which is like a sort of rubber bandage on roll to be put round the bit, but can't think for the life of me what it's called.

Jemayni

Visit site
This may sound really bizarre. But give him a week off and apply hemmeroid cream to the sore 2 times a day, works a treat..... (BTW this tip did come from someone whose ridden around Badmington, it does work, even if you are thinking of getting me sectioned.)

Tia

Visit site
Proton is perfect for this sore. I bought a horse last year who had two huge welts on each corner - they were horrific! She had been ridden in a sharp chain curb bit and it had obviously gouged into her. I used Protocon and rode her in a hackamore until it had healed. Didn't take long - mouth injuries heal up quickly.

nicnag

Visit site
I've got the same problem at the moment, my mare has such a soft mouth and I ride in a loose ring french link but there is a little patch inside her lip that breaks down occasionally. I've given her time off whenever it's happened and treated it with Bonjela. I'd heard of the Preperation H treatment before but as no one I knew had used it I didn't fancy going into the local chemist and asking for haemorhoid cream while loudly explaining it was for my horses mouth! It was bad enough going in for Benzyl Benzoate and having half the town thing I had some odd skin disease!

chunklovescooks

Visit site
ok i have a small bit of advice for you =D you should see your yard manager about this, there are bits for soft mouths which are made of a rubbery thing they give the same effect as metal bits but dont rub as much, also aply a small amount of vaseline before riding =D hope i helped