Bit suggestions after hunting today

Matafleur

Visit site
Ok, I don't normally ask for bit suggestions as usually my mare is strictly snaffle mouthed but we have an unusual problem at the moment and the combination that I thought would work brilliantly failed quite badly today!

My mare had a sarcoid removed from her mouth last year and as a result the skin around the corner of her mouth became very thickened and quite papery. It was inclined to split very easily but I managed it through the season by riding her in a Dr Cooks (bitless) wherever possible and resting it when it got sore. She had not had a bit in for over 6 weeks and the mouth is totally healed but still a bit weak I suspect. As I am not brave or stupid enough to hunt with no bit I have combined a Tom Thumb with her Dr cooks so that I could just touch it lightly if I was struggling and the mouth would not be pulled or stretched.

This worked very nicely the last two outings but today was opening meet with the bloodhounds and I could not get her head off the floor when we were cantering/galloping. I just had nothing at all even if I took a firm pull on the Tom Thumb which I've only even touched 3 times in the last 2 outings and never pulled. Jumping is fine, she sees the fence and sets herself up beautifully, listening to me when I ask her to shorten even with the bitless. It's the bits in between that are unpleasant!

Can someone please suggest something that may help us that I can use in conjunction with the bitless?

I should stress that her mouth is not sore in any way but I want the absolute minimum of pulling on it hence wanting something strong that I can just pick up when I'm desperate. She is fine to do everything else in just the bitless but Bloodhounding is a step too far!

Thanks in advance! :)

Matafleur

Visit site
Well, I've tried her in both an english and german hackamore and whilst she is polite enough to hack out in either she is also not particularly sensitive to either. I was very wary before using the german as some horses can react so much and she is quite light in front anyway but she just wasn't bothered!

I'm happy with the Dr Cooks into a fence but I just can't be doing with her burying her head on the floor in between times. I need a fence every ten strides or so and I'll be fine!

avthechav

Visit site
Well, I've tried her in both an english and german hackamore and whilst she is polite enough to hack out in either she is also not particularly sensitive to either. I was very wary before using the german as some horses can react so much and she is quite light in front anyway but she just wasn't bothered!

I'm happy with the Dr Cooks into a fence but I just can't be doing with her burying her head on the floor in between times. I need a fence every ten strides or so and I'll be fine!

Right been thinking about this tonight and all the suggestions and heres my thinking...how about a classic double bridle arrangement. Your bridoon is your bitless bit that you ride off normally and then stick a weymouth on or a pelhem and use like a double. This should mean that u just tweak your weymouth rein and you should get a response...ur not heavy with your hands so think it will be just fine. This should stop you having to haul and hopefully make your commands a little more um well precise!! :p

cptrayes

Visit site
Whatever bit you use, put Anusol on the corners of her mouth. It's for piles in humans but it is designed to make thin skin stretch without breaking and, trust me, it works REALLY well on split mouth corners in horses :)