Bit the bullet tonight... :-/

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Well, I had to do it...

Stallion (Harley) has his own paddock, lives out 24/7 ....in the paddock next door is his mum, his son Aramis, whos a 2 year old colt, my old welsh pony and other appy mare..... (where they can all touch each other) the mares are starting to come into season.. and the colt has just started to show interest.... so got to do something, as I want no surprises in 11 months, cant have him gelded and hes only dropped one ball so far (very small) fingers crossed he drops the other soon... I was hoping he would of sold by now, but no luck... :-/

Only have 2 paddocks, and a schooling area, (and I cant leave him in there all the time, no shade and this is Spain) so..... bit the bullet and shoved him in with his dad.. tried them in the schooling area first.... so far so good, colt totally submitted to the stallion, to the point of, chomping his mouth and getting on his knees.. stallion had one squeal and walked off...lol..

so Ive put them both in the stallions paddock, and they are fine.. both had their feed.. no hassle, Harley even went up and licked his leg and then walked off...

soooo.... Im wondering, does he realise its his son?... hes always been able to see him from birth.. .. and the strange thing is.. the 22 year old pony I have, who Harley lived with for 4 years, from being a foal, he will no longer tolerate, (they were separated for 6 months and after that the stallion would try to kill him)

Must admit, the stallion is laid back...

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Some you can do this with & yours seems to have taken to it ok :)
Have had a couple of mature stallions who I could shove a gelding in with them over winter for company & one of them had a gelding & yearling colt running with him all summer.
As both these lads only ever covered in hand, they were not used to free running with 'gels'.

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Well as you can see from the photo... they are fine, despite have 2 mares next door one in season and flirting.... more interested in the grass!

sharing.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site
there's a lovely pic of my boy in the field with his half brother and his half brother's dad, all eating out of the same feed bucket. The stallion was absolutely fine sharing space (and feed!) with both colt and young gelding, even though only one was related to him. He is the most laid back stallion in the world, though :p

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Grass.....if they are happy with the two blades of it the mares must be mingers :rolleyes:

PMSL...... Nope, my mares a lovely and very stunning, both appies ... but its not very often they get grass, I have no grazing here at all, (flipping Spain)
the grass I had from a friend when the mowed all their lawns (they spend forever watering it to get a lawn) then I dried it out...

so any chance of it... its bugger the mares.. lets eat!!

haha

competitiondiva

Visit site
I study equine behaviour and it is believed that horses can tell their own offspring.

would agree, my mare (despite separation of a year for weaning etc), knows who her son is. When she's in season she doesn't want to know him, when she wants to mutual groom, he's the one she goes to, when she's fed he's the only horse in the world she'll let anywhere near her bucket!!!

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
would agree, my mare (despite separation of a year for weaning etc), knows who her son is. When she's in season she doesn't want to know him, when she wants to mutual groom, he's the one she goes to, when she's fed he's the only horse in the world she'll let anywhere near her bucket!!!

aww.... bless..

When Harley was born, his mum Freckles decided that she did not want to be a mum as soon as he stood up.... she bit him, kicked him would not let him suckle, she was a cow... but I did get her to accept him in the end, and she was never the most maternal mare, would not let him near her feed etc... weaned at 6 months, just in a separate paddock... yet when we put them back together 3 months later, he went to suckle and she let him...

Hes nearly 7 now, and she had this special whinny for him, she never does it to the others, nor to her 2nd foal (BTW fab mum that time) so im sure she knows hes her son, and if we hack out, I have to keep him infront, not that Im worried he will mount her.. but if she gets infront she tries to boot him and puts him in his place..

with me and his mommo
harlandfrec.jpg