Bit worried about overnight bed trashing all of a sudden...

LauraBR

Visit site
My horse has always kept his bed very neat. He sleeps/poos/wees in the same places every day and is generally very easy to muck out. He is on rubber mats with a bed of shavings over half of it which works very well for him.

I'm a little worried as the last 3 nights I have arrived in the morning to find his whole bed completely upside down- he's obviously done a LOT of digging and rolling in the night. The second morning I arrived and noticed his bed was all over he went down in his stable and rolled in front of me (I had never ever seen him roll in his stable before
crazy.gif
) and promptly got himself completely and utterly cast. Thank goodness there were a few other people about who managed to get him up for me (kept distance as I'm pregnant and there was much thrashing!)... once he was up he was looking to dig and roll again... my immediate thoughts were 'colic'
shocked.gif
.... quickly turned him out in the indoor where he had a few more rolls and then went back in his stable right as rain. Not colicky at all. Was fine all day- relaxed and happy in his stable.

My YO has kindly been keeping an eye on him whilst I'm at work and he has been absolutely fine- just seems to be doing a lot of uncharacteristic rolling overnight?????

Only other thing I can assume is that he is uncomfortable or itchy? He is not over rugged so I'm confident he is not too warm. Have checked his rugs for anything that might be trapped and irritating him- nothing? He was clipped a week ago- could it be that his summer coat is now coming through and he is feeling sensitive because he has a fresh clip?

Any ideas?

When he got cast he was really very very stuck, I'd really like to try and get to the bottom of this to avoid finding him like that again one morning
crazy.gif

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
My horses bed is trashed more at the moment and the only thing I can pin point as his routine has not changed is that the sun is rising earlier. I have not changed my times I do him but whereas before it was dark its now light when I do him. Cannot help with rolling though.

LauraBR

Visit site
The more I think about it the more I think it most likely must be something along those lines... although none of ours have started moulting yet at all so interesting to hear yours have!

Roll on summer!!!!
cool.gif

mpicton101

Visit site
Its interesting to here what people say about this as one of ours has suddenly started doing this, he's not rugged at all has unclipped. Sounds like the coat thing could well be the answer!

Nickijem

Visit site
My horse has become very itchy all of a sudden, I can barely tack him up as he is turning round to scratch his sides with his teeth! I don't know whether it is his coat coming out or the alfa -a oil I have been feeding him as that is the only change he has had to his management.
Have you altered his feed in any way?

Nickijem

Visit site
Oh thanks for that Yorks - I did wonder as he only seems to have started itching since I have given the alpa-a to him. Think I'll leave it off the menu from now on!

LauraBR

Visit site
His feed hasn't altered at all, the only change really is the clip which he had about 3-4 days before this started.

Gave him a good brush and a scratch etc today and he didn't seem particularly sensitive or enjoying it any more than usual.

A bit of a mystery!

Holly27

Visit site
id put a anti cast roller on untill he calms down , really isnt good getting cast xxx
the horse im looking after for my friend for two weeks did this last 2 days and got cast and im on my own so , i pulled him by his tail away from the wall and he managed to get up , not funny so i popped a roller on him , as its hard enough when there is a few people to get a horse up but on your own not good !
hes 15.2 tb
good luck